Contribute
Register

My first Hackintosh - i5 7600K / Z270-HD3P / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad I found this particular thread. I'm building something near identical. New to hackintosh, hell, I haven't even built any computers in near 20 years (back when ddr2 was king), and am building a rig to game and hopefully run some photoshop for my photo hobby on.

• Motherboard: MSI Intel DDR4 Z270M MORTAR
  • CPU: Intel I5 7600K
  • SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (Not sure if NVMe or not, can someone explain what that is? Doesn't say it is on the drive anywhere)
  • 2x G.Skill Ripjaws v series 8GB 2400MHz DDR4
  • PSU: EVGA 500W
  • Cooler: Cryorig H7
  • Case: Corsair Carbide Spec 02
Can someone explain what NVMe means and how I find out if my 840 EVO is one or not? I've got it here on my desk. The rest of the parts are enroute. Planning on pulling a 1-2 TB 7200rpm drive from another computer for my main storage. Wanted to experiment with Bootcamp or some other way to get both OS on there. Any suggestions, ideas, or warnings?
Thanks!​

Glad I found this particular thread. I'm building something near identical. New to hackintosh, hell, I haven't even built any computers in near 20 years (back when ddr2 was king), and am building a rig to game and hopefully run some photoshop for my photo hobby on.

• Motherboard: MSI Intel DDR4 Z270M MORTAR
  • CPU: Intel I5 7600K
  • SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (Not sure if NVMe or not, can someone explain what that is? Doesn't say it is on the drive anywhere)
  • 2x G.Skill Ripjaws v series 8GB 2400MHz DDR4
  • PSU: EVGA 500W
  • Cooler: Cryorig H7
  • Case: Corsair Carbide Spec 02
Can someone explain what NVMe means and how I find out if my 840 EVO is one or not? I've got it here on my desk. The rest of the parts are enroute. Planning on pulling a 1-2 TB 7200rpm drive from another computer for my main storage. Wanted to experiment with Bootcamp or some other way to get both OS on there. Any suggestions, ideas, or warnings?
Thanks!​

NVMe stands for Non-Volatile Memory Express, basically a (much) faster way of accessing non-volatile storage devices such as SSDs. Your 840 EVO is a SATA SSD and not NVMe.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/7173...iew-120gb-250gb-500gb-750gb-1tb-models-tested

As shown in the picture in the link above, do you see the metal connectors on the left? Those two metal connectors are typical of devices (SSD / Hard Disk) that use SATA and not NVMe to connect to the computer.

Thanks so much! Mind blown. That's some fast data transfer, looking at some NVMe stats... I realize now I could have just googled it, lol, but thanks for taking the time to educate me. Looking forward to building my first hackintosh.

You want to use a NVMe SSD? Then it may be better to use High Sierra instead of Sierra (10.12.6). High Sierra supposedly has native support for NVMe SSDs, but Sierra does not. It may be possible to install Sierra on a NVMe SSD but it is not straightforward.

If you use a SATA SSD then you should be able to use Sierra on this build.

Due to unavailability I had to change to this built. Will i have compatibility problems installing High Sierra???

Motherboard : Gigabyte Motherboard Z270-HD3P (Z270/1151/DDR4)
CPU: Intel CPU Core i5 7600K (1151/3.80 GHz/6 MB)
SSD: Samsung SSD 960 EVO NVMe 250GB
RAM: 2x https://www.plaisio.gr/anavathmisi-...RAM-Desktop-8GB-2400MHz-DDR4-CT8G4DFS824A.htm
PSU: Corsair PSU CX Series 550 W 80+ Bronze 550
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030 2GB
Cooler: Deepcool Captain 240 EX White RGB
Case: NZXT S340 elite

Thank you!!!

Amazon has some deals on the 1050ti right now.

yeah, thank you but I can't order them from amazon. I must buy them from a shop in my country. But you think that with these parts I will be fine??

Due to unavailability I had to change to this built. Will i have compatibility problems installing High Sierra???

Motherboard : Gigabyte Motherboard Z270-HD3P (Z270/1151/DDR4)
CPU: Intel CPU Core i5 7600K (1151/3.80 GHz/6 MB)
SSD: Samsung SSD 960 EVO NVMe 250GB
RAM: 2x https://www.plaisio.gr/anavathmisi-...RAM-Desktop-8GB-2400MHz-DDR4-CT8G4DFS824A.htm
PSU: Corsair PSU CX Series 550 W 80+ Bronze 550
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030 2GB
Cooler: Deepcool Captain 240 EX White RGB
Case: NZXT S340 elite

Thank you!!!

Looks good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back