Contribute
Register

My first Hackintosh, I need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z490D > Need make and full model name > See Rules!
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
GT 730
Hi folks,

I just discovered this amazing forum, and I'm very excited to try the Hackingtosh for the first time ! In an other life, I worked on MacOS 9, then I swap to Windows (and Linux/Unix for other purposes) and never went back. I have no experience with MacOS (macOS now ?).

These days I do music production, under Windows with Reaper. I have a lot of Universal Audio stuff that works OK under Windows (2 x Thunderbolt Apollo + PCI-E DSP card). But as Windows user we are left alone by UA for some things, especially for their DAW : LUNA. I want to use it but I don't want to throw away all my working hardware setup and buy a locked and very expensive Apple computer.

So the best solution for me seems to be ... Hackintosh !

But I can't affort to interrupt too long my audio activities, so I try to plan a migration scenario and I need some support :)

So here are my (noob) questions :

1. I need 3 screens. I have a Z490 version D motherboard with onboard HDMI and DP port + a Nvidia GT730 that should apparently work with BigSur. I'm not sure if I will update or install Monterey so I need to know if I will be able to use both onboard ports for at least 2 extended screens ? I could buy an ATI card if needed but I need to have a working solution at the beginning.
  2. Is it a viable solution to not update/upgrade macOS at all in the long run, putting aside the security issues ? I mean in need a working and stable environment and I won't be able to take "down time" once I have a working Hackintosh. For instance, I have disabled Windows update on my current rig to be sure that nothing will break. I test all the changes on an another environement to be sure not to let stability issue arise
  3. So with this in mind : which version of MacOS should I pick ? Monterey seems to be the best option for the long run, but maybe there are drawbacks or caveats that I don't except ? I think I will go with Big Sur ...
  4. I need to keep my working Windows install in order to swtich and get back to the softwares that will not run under macOS. So dual boot seems to be the best option. But I'm a bit paranoid about that (so many broken install after Lilo/Grub tweaking, and so many destroyed MBR haha). Now I am a bit confused with new stuff like EFI and GPT ... I thought to take of my current NVMe SSD with Windows, adding another one dedicated for macOS, install the thing and reconnect the first drive to avoid OpenCore to screw my other drive during installation/setup. Then I could use the BIOS to change the startup drive each time I want to swap OS. Is it too much and I should trust OpenCore not to screw my Windows installation and configure it for dual boot ?
  5. Regarding the NVMe SSD issue, it seems that TRIM support is not OK with certain drive (I have currently a 970 EVO 1To, not sure if it will works fine...), so my question : under macOS, even if I don't want to mount/use the Windows drive, is there a wearing/data loss issue if the windows drive is just up and running but not used ?
  6. Still on NVMe choice for the macOS install + data : which drive should I pick to avoid wearing and temperature issue ? I saw the post on Z490 topic, but this is a blacklist not a whitelist :) I'm a bit confused if for instance we should'nt use 970 only on Monterey or with all macOS version ?
  7. I read about the "Resizable bar" : what is this thing ? (Extract of the Z490 topic : "BIOS F5 and F6 are recommended, but they do not provide Resizable BAR support for GPUs in Windows. BIOS F20 can be installed if Resizable BAR support is needed, but this will prevent USB-C devices from connecting to Thunderbolt ports in macOS.")

I know it's a lot, thank you guys ! I will now jump to the Z490 thread and ask another bunch of Z490 related questions there xD

Your GT 730 is not supported in Monterey.
Indeed, I am hesitating to go and stay with Big Sur and my GT730 or go with Monterey and buy an ATI card. I think I will go with Big Sur, probably a better fit for my audio activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back