Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Well i have read a lot of post and they all seem to have bits and pieces of what i want but not exactly. I am a college student who just recently lost my macbook due to water damage and a new logic board is $900+ which is not worth it to me. So i am building my own mac desktop (hackintosh). My orginal plan is to build a two way computer that can boot up both IOS and Windows. One i dont know if its possible to do under 800. If not i plan to tring to use Bootcamp to run windows if the two systems wont be compatable. My main reason for using windows is to play games because there is hardly anything out there for IOS. Well I have two different builds that i was thinking about and based on what will work and all the imput i receice ill decide then. all of these items were found on AmazonSo here is build one.
Intel Core i5-2400 3.10 GHz 6 MB Cache Socket LGA1155 Processor
Boxed Intel Desktop Board Media Series Micro-ATX form factor for 2nd Gen Intel Core Family Processors BOXDH67GDB3
Cooler Master Cooler Master Elite 430 Mid Tower ATX Case with Window (RC-430-KWN1)
Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD platforms - CMPSU-650TXV2
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B

Then there is my second more powerful build.
Boxed Intel Desktop Board Extreme Series ATX Form Factor for Second Generation Intel Core Family Processors BOXDP67BGB3
Cooler Master Cooler Master Elite 430 Mid Tower ATX Case with Window (RC-430-KWN1)
Corsair Enthusiast Series 650-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD platforms - CMPSU-650TXV2
Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 (GV-R685OC-1GD) 1024MB PCIe x16 Gen 2.1

Yes i know the difference between the two builds are the motherboard and the GPU but i believe that is would make a big difference. Thank you and i wait the help.

@yaplea
First is the lack of DSDT in database for the motherboard. Would recommend a board with a DSDT and the largest support is Gigabyte. Whatever motherboard you purchase, having a DSDT is important.
You don't have a DVD drive in your list?
Check for motherboard/CPU bundles for a few bucks off. :wave:

We'll i was thinking about the Gigabyte Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2133 LGA 1155 but there was some bad reviews on it. for a dvd drive i have a couple that are generic but will do the trick for that.

yaplea said:
Well i have read a lot of post and they all seem to have bits and pieces of what i want but not exactly. I am a college student who just recently lost my macbook due to water damage and a new logic board is $900+ which is not worth it to me. So i am building my own mac desktop (hackintosh). My original plan is to build a two way computer that can boot up both IOS and Windows. One i don't know if its possible to do under 800. If not i plan to tring to use Bootcamp to run windows if the two systems wont be compatible. My main reason for using windows is to play games because there is hardly anything out there for IOS. Well I have two different builds that i was thinking about and based on what will work and all the input i receive ill decide then. all of these items were found on Amazon here is build one.
Boxed Intel Desktop Board Media Series Micro-ATX form factor for 2nd Gen Intel Core Family Processors BOXDH67GDB3
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B

Then there is my second more powerful build.
Boxed Intel Desktop Board Extreme Series ATX Form Factor for Second Generation Intel Core Family Processors BOXDP67BGB3
Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 (GV-R685OC-1GD) 1024MB PCIe x16 Gen 2.1

Yes i know the difference between the two builds are the motherboard and the GPU but i believe that is would make a big difference. Thank you and i wait the help.

First a correction : you are not attempting to run iOS, which works on iPod Touch, iPhones and iPads, but rather Mac OSX which works on Macs.

I recommend you should use a Gigabyte motherboard for your first build as it is the most compatible and receives the most support.

The first build apparently does not have a graphics card. If so it won't work under Mac OSX since the CPU internal graphics is not supported.

You can build a really nice machine for $800. I suggest you go through the user builds section and see what type of hardware people have purchased and how successful they've been with it.

Do your research before you purchase and you won't regret it.

My build was under € 400 with HD3000 and without DVD.
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=55910

A forum has numerous builds that costs less than $800

For $800 you can have a I5-2500K cpu in it ...

My next build could be:
- Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz (socket 1155)
- Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3 (socket 1155)
- Corsair 8GB DDR3 (2x4GB)
- Linkworld 727-10 case (420W)
- Arctic Cooling F9 PWM
- WD Caviar Green 2TB
- Onboard VGA (HD3000)
- OSX Lion licentie
Totals less than € 500 :thumbup:

Well after doing a little more reseach i came up with a revised build.
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard with 20GB Intel Solid State Drive on Board GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD
Corsair Vengeance Blue 8 GB (2X4 GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6850 1GB GV-R685OC-1GD
Mac OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive

The main difference is the motherboard and the different ram. I found the motherboard without the SSD but for the additional 100 it was not too bad to have the SSD included. Also i cut down on the ram just to save a little bit of cash. I was also thinking about not including the GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6850 1GB GV-R685OC-1GD untill after the build to save $150. Would the built-in GPU work to setup or will it not be reconized? Also is there anything else that i am missing with the build? Thanks for the help so far!!

yaplea said:
Well after doing a little more reseach i came up with a revised build.
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard with 20GB Intel Solid State Drive on Board GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD
Corsair Vengeance Blue 8 GB (2X4 GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6850 1GB GV-R685OC-1GD
Mac OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive

The main difference is the motherboard and the different ram. I found the motherboard without the SSD but for the additional 100 it was not too bad to have the SSD included. Also i cut down on the ram just to save a little bit of cash. I was also thinking about not including the GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6850 1GB GV-R685OC-1GD untill after the build to save $150. Would the built-in GPU work to setup or will it not be reconized? Also is there anything else that i am missing with the build? Thanks for the help so far!!

$100 for a 20gb mSATA drive is not a good deal at all. Read this page for details on mSATA drives:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd ... 139-3.html

You'd be better off getting a standard 60gb or 64gb ssd for the same (or less) $$. Onboard graphics will work fine to get you started but you'll need a cpu with HD3000. Core i5-2500k would be your best bet.

The iSSD's mSATA is amazing and perfect for a Mountain Lion fusion disk.
I have ML 10.8.2 installed on the GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD. I adjusted the smbios model to the latest 2012 Macmini so that I was allowed to properly patch ML 10.8.2 to receive the correct core storage updates.
I then Carbon Copy cloned my HDD to a USB disk, booted to the USB disk.
Created a core storage fusion drive specifying both the 20GB mSATA drive and a 2TB 7200 HDD drive as part of the volume.
I then restored the USB clone of my HDD to this new core storage volume and modified the new helper partitions (diskXs3) on both the mSATA and HDD so that they could boot a fusion drive via my volume UUID. You basically add the boot loader to both disk s3 partitions.
The net result is that I get a 2.02TB fusion volume which uses about 13GB of the SSD leaving the remainder available for cache and fast I/O. And 13GB is exactly enough for OSX, iLife, swap, sleep and a few other essential applications.
The reason why the mSATA in the Gigabyte is so expensive is that it's SLC based which lasts much longer than traditional MLC flash disks you can buy in the 2.5inch format.
With the way fusion works, you will be reusing the same 4GB of your SSD constantly and after about 10,000 writes your SSD will die taking down the whole fusion drive with it. All data will be lost unless you backup.
The Gigabyte iSSD resolves this by increasing your writes to 100,000 plus with it's more robust flash. Absolutely perfect!

Hi tonyjmac,

Could you please help me ?

I have a pc which i want to install mountain lion 10.8.4 on it.
The configuration is :
Intel core i7 2600k
gigabyte z68xp-ud3-issd
ati hd6970
128 GB OCZ vertex3 ssd.

I tried nearly all tutorials but i couldn't get it work nicely.
I could install it but could not get it work without GraphicsEnabler=No.
My ethernet is not working well too. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesnt :S.
Could you please suggest me a tutorial ? For example which version of bios should i use?
Which kext files should i use ? etc.
Thank you from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back