Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
  2. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
work in progress... just started the iboot/snow-leopard thing late last night. still haven't done the multibeast or dsdt file.

going for the "hobo" cheapie style build.

GA-H61N-USB3
Celeron G530
Asus G210 Silent
4gig ram
8" VGA (1024x768) 4:3 aspect "TV" screen.

The goal is to have both a switchable (i wired the "TV" to work with a 12v molex connector - will have an on/off switch that can activate from the front panel) screen internally, and a dvi or HDMI out for a 1080p tv. I'm not sure (still have to do my homework!) if I can run HDMI out of the G210 along with VGA at the same time, additionally there's the onboard VGA/HDMI running what i think is HD2500 or HD2000 from the celeron chip. Probably no support for that.

currently measuring things out w/ a 300w psu.. will probably get a newer 350 or higher, and possibly something modular.

The hardest (imho) part was figuring out a way to fake the curved screen, as I didn't want to mess w/ the crt.

I tried slowly heat-gunning thin lexan over the glass.. the results were less than great.

finally, i found a thin (1mm?) acrylic available at a local art store that seems perfect. It's not rigid, so if poked it will move - but it's not something i'm concerned about.

I made the "mask" out of foamcore cut carefully to match the curvature of the case. everything else was taped in (hockey tape can do anything!) and then bracketed and set firmly in place with washers.

I still have to "build" the interior of the case, which i'll probably do out of tin, lots of bolts/brackets, and foamcore.

The pics (hope this works, my first post!)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 2,684
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 2,555
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 2,527
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 2,330
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 2,255
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 2,224
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,300
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 3,276
My Classic Hackintosh

Awesome, looks good so far

work in progress... just started the iboot/snow-leopard thing late last night. still haven't done the multibeast or dsdt file.

going for the "hobo" cheapie style build.

GA-H61N-USB3
Celeron G530
Asus G210 Silent
4gig ram
8" VGA (1024x768) 4:3 aspect "TV" screen.

The goal is to have both a switchable (i wired the "TV" to work with a 12v molex connector - will have an on/off switch that can activate from the front panel) screen internally, and a dvi or HDMI out for a 1080p tv. I'm not sure (still have to do my homework!) if I can run HDMI out of the G210 along with VGA at the same time, additionally there's the onboard VGA/HDMI running what i think is HD2500 or HD2000 from the celeron chip. Probably no support for that.

currently measuring things out w/ a 300w psu.. will probably get a newer 350 or higher, and possibly something modular.

The hardest (imho) part was figuring out a way to fake the curved screen, as I didn't want to mess w/ the crt.

I tried slowly heat-gunning thin lexan over the glass.. the results were less than great.

finally, i found a thin (1mm?) acrylic available at a local art store that seems perfect. It's not rigid, so if poked it will move - but it's not something i'm concerned about.

I made the "mask" out of foamcore cut carefully to match the curvature of the case. everything else was taped in (hockey tape can do anything!) and then bracketed and set firmly in place with washers.

I still have to "build" the interior of the case, which i'll probably do out of tin, lots of bolts/brackets, and foamcore.

The pics (hope this works, my first post!)

This is fantastic! It looks great so far and I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Where did you find a suitable screen with that resolution? It seems perfect for this mod.

Great Build. I would do that with my Mac Plus but it was my first Mac and believe it or not it still works LOL

rehpotsirhc - i tried the heat gun thing, and either I was doing it wrong, or was too impatient (i was out there for 45 mins doing it really slowly!) - the result was not something i was happy with.

as for the screen, i got it from ebay. not the same seller, but this the same unit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-TFT-LCD-C...illance_Monitors_Displays&hash=item2321c8cb6c

i got it for $80 shipped (if my memory is right) - iirc the seller was "e-worldseller" - http://myworld.ebay.ca/e-worldseller?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:CA:1181

with that said, still no guarantee that this will work as the "only" monitor in the system. My macbook pro worked with it fine via minidisplayport>VGA adapter (to test it) - but whether the hackintosh is happy with it, along with another 1080p hdmi device... that remains to be seen.

Thx all for the kind words.. it's not finished yet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back