Contribute
Register

My 4530s is really slow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kotek Besar said:
Ok thanks guys. Should I not just send it to HP and have them do it for free? Aside from dual booting OS X and W7, I have upgraded to 12gb ram and a 1080p screen (inc cable change).

no, first check what is running and hugging the CPU if nothing maybe then.
You may not have warranty anymore after 1080p upgrade.

I'm pretty sure that Your warranty is voided, anyway, even if it is heat dissipation problem it will be easy to repair it at home, probably thermal grease issues.

xequtor said:
Likemike said:
My two cents:

[*] Crappy or old SSD or no TRIM enabled -> Also a common problem. 4k writes are getting very slow on crappy or old (1st gen) SSDs. That is also resulting in complete system timeouts. Maybe also if there is no TRIM enabled. Browsers are permanent writing little temp files on disk (cookies, images,...), which is killing performance on SSDs over time.

should every SSD have TRIM enabled (software) ? I have OCZ-VERTEX2 240GB I think don't need software enabled TRIM

TRIM is a software command unitilized by the operation system to tell the SSD to mark and wipe unneeded data, which increases the life span minimizes speed loss of the SSD. What you mean is the so called "garbage collection" (or other named) function of the SSD controller which tries to mark the unneeded data itself and and the wipe it. They both are for the same thing, but as much as I know having enabled TRIM is better then not having it enabled. On newer SSD the built in garbage collection should be good enough to do the job alone, but if you have a older one (2 years or so) the you must have enabled TRIM or it will kill speed and life (personal experience).

Kotek Besar said:
Ok thanks guys. Should I not just send it to HP and have them do it for free? Aside from dual booting OS X and W7, I have upgraded to 12gb ram and a 1080p screen (inc cable change).

You could try to use arctic silver 5 thermal paste. I have a i7 2670QM that would get hotter than usual, so I got took out the cpu and wiped the old paste off, then applied arctic silver 5 to the cpu and gpu. Everything is good to go now, cpu idle temp is 49° - 50° with AMD Radeon HD 6490M running too. The i7 gets way hotter than any other cpu.

riodoro1 said:
I'm pretty sure that Your warranty is voided, anyway, even if it is heat dissipation problem it will be easy to repair it at home, probably thermal grease issues.

His warranty isn't voided, he just has to put back the old screen & cable. I just did it recently. That's it, no catch at all.

tegezee said:
Kotek Besar said:

You could try to use arctic silver 5 thermal paste. I have a i7 2670QM that would get hotter than usual, so I got took out the cpu and wiped the old paste off, then applied arctic silver 5 to the cpu and gpu. Everything is good to go now, cpu idle temp is 49° - 50° with AMD Radeon HD 6490M running too. The i7 gets way hotter than any other cpu.

yeah compare to i5 my i7 gets hotter, I was running VMWare with 8 cores for XP and temp was about 90*C once , im thinking about switching back to i5.
I already use arctic silver 5.

Likemike said:
xequtor said:
Likemike said:
My two cents:

[*] Crappy or old SSD or no TRIM enabled -> Also a common problem. 4k writes are getting very slow on crappy or old (1st gen) SSDs. That is also resulting in complete system timeouts. Maybe also if there is no TRIM enabled. Browsers are permanent writing little temp files on disk (cookies, images,...), which is killing performance on SSDs over time.

should every SSD have TRIM enabled (software) ? I have OCZ-VERTEX2 240GB I think don't need software enabled TRIM

TRIM is a software command unitilized by the operation system to tell the SSD to mark and wipe unneeded data, which increases the life span minimizes speed loss of the SSD. What you mean is the so called "garbage collection" (or other named) function of the SSD controller which tries to mark the unneeded data itself and and the wipe it. They both are for the same thing, but as much as I know having enabled TRIM is better then not having it enabled. On newer SSD the built in garbage collection should be good enough to do the job alone, but if you have a older one (2 years or so) the you must have enabled TRIM or it will kill speed and life (personal experience).

yeah it was "garbage collection" what I meant, I enabled now TRIM on my SSD.

Kotek Besar said:
Don't misunderstand, I'm not having a problem with a slow internet connection - it's the laptop itself that is slow. What could be the issue? Oh, if it's relavent, I've 12gb RAM, too.

That's part of your problem here. The 4530s only support max of 8G Ram. I'm assuming your using 8G+4G module to get that 12G. This will cause your CPU to work harder which result in overheating and/or freezing.
Even if it support more than 8G you should only use the same module speed and brand if possible. 8G+8G or 4G+4G etc...
Remove one of your memory module and use the module that came with you HP before you try anything else.

So I bought some Arctic Silver 5 and applied it, but unfortunately the issue remains. All cores fluctuating between 70 - 70 degrees c.

Thanks for your reply. I checked that setting in BIOS - fan is set to be always on when on A/C power. Fan is always running anyway (I can hear it and feel the wind).

What else could be causing the issue? Faulty CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back