Contribute
Register

My 1st build - any help is appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
none
CPU
none
Graphics
none
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
my possible build:
mobo: ga-h55m-s2v (I've read some success here on it...would like more feedback if possible) (if you think of a better mobo for less than $100 let me know)

graphics:
either
evga geforece 9500 gt 1gb ( i saw it compabtible but with galaxy brand not evga...anyone had experience with evga brand of this card?)
or
evga gt220 (the wiki note says 10.6.4, does this mean I need another card to install 10.6? or can I use the Integrated graphic of the mobo to install 10.6 & the install 10.6.4 and install the graphics card?) (is this card better than than 9500?)

any ideas for power supply I'll need? I don't want to go overkill, but want to get enough
(300w?)

CPU:
i3,i5? which is better for light to moderate video editing( Final cut studio), after effects, photoshop, illustrator, adobe premier.
would i7 be overkill?
Would like to not spend more than 100-200 for cpu

also, any ideas for low cost, but decent cases? (cable management a plus, but not absolutely necessary)

I think your parts are compatible, but since I do not work so much on video/photo editing, not sure what your requirements are, but with my limited knowledge here you go:

CPU: I would go with at least core i5 760
Hard Drives: I am going to assume that you will need to run at least 3 hard drives to do your editing work (at least that is what my friends tell me they do)--one OS, and minimum two for your editing/storage.
Video: ASUS GT 430? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121397) Not an expert here but at $80 buckaroos, I think it beats GT220 and 9500 GT
PSU: I would go minimum 550W in case you decide to get more hard drives and/or upgrade your graphics. I am getting by with a 460W, but if I do upgrade or add anything to my budget rig, my guess is I will go the distance and get at least 700W to keep from multiple purchases down the road.

Hope this helps. I am sure there are many more experts out there, but wanted to get you a headstart. Good luck!

slowjin said:
I think your parts are compatible, but since I do not work so much on video/photo editing, not sure what your requirements are, but with my limited knowledge here you go:

Video: ASUS GT 430? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814121397) Not an expert here but at $80 buckaroos, I think it beats GT220 and 9500 GT
!

Thanks for your help. I had considered i5 at first, but wasn't sure if I needed it. I'm just a beginning editor, so I'd just be doing small things right now. I like to do photoshop and learn more After Effects. Of course most of the time I won't need huge processing power, just during rendering of effects, that's why I thought an i3 might do.

And that's why I chose the h55m-s2v(only $70!). I had been looking at others around $100-$125, but this one seems to be fine. I had thought about the new lifehacker hackintosh, but the board is $100 more than this and not a gigabyte.

About the video card, looks good especially for the price. But I've heard about freezing problems with the nvidia 4xx series cards. Do you have any experience with it or can point me to a thread were someone has had success with it?

Thanks again for your reply. It was helpful :D

I had not known about the freeze issues but looks like all Fermi cards may be affected. Most success stories also have the freeze issues tacked on later in the thread it seems. I think any of the more recent budget cards will work for you then whether it be 210, 220, 240, 9500 or 9800 cards at least until you figure you need something with more juice.

Anyway, once you get your rig up and running, I am interested in how they work out for you. Starting to get a lot of interest from friends that want a budget build for various purposes, including light editing. With the OSX at $29, hackintosh budgets always beat out Win 7 builds when using Intel CPUs.

Cheers!

I'm thinking the gt220 but it the database, it has the note - 10.6.4, does that mean I'd need another graphics card to install 10.6 retail and then after after upgrading to 10.6.4 I can install it?

I'd prefer not to buy 2 cards. I'd like to get the gt 430 for about the same price, but am leery of the freezing issue.

Also which is better the 9500 or the 420? or are they the same?

and I'm guessing the 8xxx series aren't worth getting huh? I think I saw a 8400 or something like that for $25.

Wiki may not be updated and the cards you listed should work fine with 10.6.5. 8400gs is also a very popular budget card that seems to work just fine. May not be a bad choice to get your build up and running then plop down more for a better card later.

Tony has a silent gt240 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/187-1225332-7977151?redirect=true&tag=tonymacx86com-20&a=B002X7A6N4) for his itx build that looks pretty good.
There are other gt240 for around $80 at newegg. Evga, asus, gigabyte brands should all be quite reliable.

It seems that for another $20 you can Incrementally upgrade, which makes it tough to manage to a budget. Gt240 should be decent enough in my mind till you decide to upgrade CPU and gpu for heavier duty stuff.

After reading the random freeze still not quite ironed out, I am more convinced to reco a stable and proven hardware to get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back