CPU
i7 2600k
Graphics
GTX 680
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have an SSD to run SL and 1tb hard drive for files. I want to have a 2nd SSD running Win7 and another 1tb for files.

How will the OS's know which is their hard drive?

Uhhhh... install OS X on the first SSD, and install Windows on the second SSD. There's no fuss about it at all. If you want Windows to be able to read your Mac hard drive, you can install a software such as MacDrive ($80). Mac OS X can read Windows hard drives natively, though you'll need to use software such as Tuxera NTFS or Paragon NTFS to enable writing.

I was talking about how each OS knows which 1tb drive is theirs instead of showing both in each OS?

Windows can't see Mac formatted partitions unless you use special software, as such it won't be an issue on the Windows side of things. As far as OS X is concerned, well, it'll see both of the Windows disks, as OS X can access NTFS formatted drives.

As you have a Gigabyte motherboard, the quick and easy way to swap between the OSes is to hit F12 at boot and select the right SSD for the OS you want to boot.

Ok. Cool. At least osx won't see the win7 1tb. Thanks

PCtoMac said:
Ok. Cool. At least osx won't see the win7 1tb. Thanks

OS X will show the windows drives in the OS but wont be able to write to them (NTFS); read only. Windows wont show the mac drives at all.

You can add software to both platforms so that they can see/read/write to each other's disks.

Ya that's what I meant. lol my bad.
Thanks for all your replies!

Hi All,

Thank you all for your precious advices and experience.
Have two questions. If someone will be able to help, will be glad

* Have my first Mac assembled and working very well. OS is Lion. All is ok, but I want to add second and third HDD for storage only. How to do this? On my SnowLeopard, after adding second empty HDD, the system refuse to boot searching for the right UUID. Even after removing the second HDD, the system again refuse to boot. All the BIOS settings are ok ( boot from the right HDD, i mean). I'm afraid to do this again with my new Lion OS for the same reason. The external HDD solution is not ok for me.
* there is one right procedure how to to do this properly?

Thank you in advance

Thank you for your kind reply,

Yes, I know this.
Simply i'm afraid that the system will not boot, or will change something inside the Lion UUID HDD identification...
There is any restrictions ( outside how many SATA port you have :) ) how many HDD you will be able to attach to the Lion OSX?

Inside the Chimera bootloader, there will be some things to do ? UUID in config files, or other? or the Chimera recognise automatically, where the boot drive is? the second or third HDD will appear in chimera boot screen like topic to choose from? or there, only the boot drives appear?

You mean to set the default boot partition in org.chameleon.Boot.plist?
And "ask" the Lion Disk Utility, which is the correct name ( something like hd,0,1)
That you mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back