Contribute
Register

Multiple GPU's for Video Editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have worked with 4k R3D footage on an i7-3770k with a GTX 560Ti 448 Core and had very little issues.
@Solidww
Nice to hear. I thought you'd at least need the 2011 socket ( 6 cores) to be able to work with 4k. But as there are quite some hackintosh issues with the socket, I will go for the i7 4770K, GA-Z87X-UD5-TH , MSI GTX 770 4GB, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance, SSD Bootdrive, etc and have TH at least.

I hope it will be fast enough. But the more I read, the more I get the feeling the 'cores' are often not the bottleneck, correct?
About multiple GPU's: I thought that wasn't possible (or adviced) for a OSX hack on this socket?

My real issue is drive speed and RAM.
Perhaps I should start a new thread, but what would be a very fast (affordable) Drive setup for editing in Premiere?
SSD for OSX / programms, Raid 0 (2x 3tb 7200 RPM) for media and separate drives for cache, previews, exports? Or would it be wise to use a SSD for cache/ previews as well? My board has thunderbolt, so perhaps a thunderbolt drive works even better

We work in Premiere CS6 and FCPX......
If you do decide to go with Apple's set of software then AMD supported cards will perform beautifully for you.
I already purchased CS6 for my current mac Pro, so that money is already spend. I hope the MSI GTX 770 4GB, with CUDA is still the way to go for CS (and a bit future proof, now the new Mac Pro uses AMD). The 780 doesn't always seem to function on a hack.

Stick to the recommended builds
Haven't seen a golden build of my parts yet.. I hope it will come soon.

I am running FCPX with i7 3930k, GTX 670, 3x2TB RAID0 (7200) array and 2x 240GB SSD RAID0. I am still getting hang up's and issues within FCPX. I thought I have removed all of the bottlenecks but apparently not. I would kill for a multiple GPU setup. Everything that I have read says that 10.1 and beyond supports multiple GPU's as does Mavericks. That being said I have not seen anyone actually build a hackintosh that has multiple GPU's (running together that is). With the MacPro out and running multiple GPU's I would have thought someone would have jumped all over this build.

Anyone have any updated information on this front?

Currently building a multiple GPU set up for Resolve,etc.

Gigabyte X79-UP4 Motherboard rev1.1 bios version F7 (bios needs to be F4 and above on purchase or it wont work with the 4930K etc )

i7 4930K CPU O'C @ 4.4 Ghz

32GB ram 4 @ 8Gb 1600Mhz. Slow but I already had them in stock.

GPU 1 XFX R9 280X Black Edition

GPU 2 XFX 7970 Ghz Edition ( They are essentially the same card and I will flash them the same when time permits)

Maya44Xte Soundcard.

I had issues with getting sound to work so bought the above soundcard which has drivers for Mavericks and works superbly.
I have not tested in Premiere or FCPX yet but using the Luxmark render program 2 gpu's are used so I see no reason why not in Resolve etc ( full version not lite )

Currently the only real issue is getting the display ports fully functional for 4K output but having 2 Hdmi sockets and the new Samsung 4K monitor having 2 hdmi inlets this may be a workaround in the short term. I am open to any suggestion to get around this issue. I have tried all framebuffers so maybe the Radeon 7000 kext needs patching.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 5.50.10 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 5.50.10 pm.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 5.52.35 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 5.52.35 pm.png
    33 KB · Views: 120
  • Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 4.24.08 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 4.24.08 pm.png
    35 KB · Views: 122
  • Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 4.44.12 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-21 at 4.44.12 pm.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 104
Good luck trying to get the GPU's to work in FCPX. If you are running the X79-UP4, those cards shouldn't of worked out of the box? I've been messing around with my XFX 280x black for a month trying to get it to work. I flashed it to a XFX 280x DD and got into Mavericks, but FCPX refuses to work when using some effects or trying the Brucex test. The system was constantly crashing when trying these. So I flashed the card to an Asus bios, fiddled with the bios and got it booting and working great in FCPX. Whenever I shut the computer down, something happened and the system would sometimes fail to boot and exibit all the FCPX problems as before. I've given up on it for now as I can't see why shutting the machine down is causing the GPU bios to change.

Can anyone shed some light on how to set up multiple gpu's. I am working in 10.9.3 and want to get a secondary card up and running.

Both cards are nvidia, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back