Contribute
Register

Multiboot W7/Lion with multiples W7 and MacOS partitions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pct

Motherboard
HP Elitebook 840 G6
CPU
i5-8365U
Graphics
UHD 620
Hi
I have a 1Tb HD I want to use with Windows 7-64 and Lion 10.7.2 with 2 partitions per OS: can I do this ?
I have read a lot, including here, to have 2 partitions (one W7 and one Lion) but not sure I can have 2 per OS? I also read posts about hybridMBR or modified W7 BCD but I must admit I have not understood everything.

So I tried the following: my plan is to have :
1/ 2 partitions for Lion: one for system (200Gb) one for data (200Gb)
2/ 2 partitions for W7 : one for system (100Gb) one for data (500Gb)

I followed the guide : http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... -snow.html but created the 4 partitions (2 for Lion, 2 in FAT for W7), successfully installed Lion on first partition and then started to installed W7: but once I have reformatted the first FAT partition to NTFS, then Windows told me it could not be installed on this partition so I am stuck.

Did I made something wrong or it is simply impossible ?

Thanks for your help.

Try booting with UbiBeast installer to OS X install screen, format the disk with disk utility GUID partition tables
partition 1 for OS X - name it, select MacOS Extended (Journaled)
partition 2 for OS X - name it, select MacOS Extended (Journaled)
partition 3 for Win7 - name it, select MS DOS (FAT)
partition 4 for Win7 - name it, select MS DOS (FAT)

and apply. Put the Win7 install disc in the DVD drive tray. Quit OS X installer. Shutdown. Reove the UniBeast USB and boot to the Win7 install disc. Format both Windows partitions NTFS and then try to install on the first NTFS partition.

Post results.

Going Bald said:
Try booting with UbiBeast installer to OS X install screen, format the disk with disk utility GUID partition tables
partition 1 for OS X - name it, select MacOS Extended (Journaled)
partition 2 for OS X - name it, select MacOS Extended (Journaled)
partition 3 for Win7 - name it, select MS DOS (FAT)
partition 4 for Win7 - name it, select MS DOS (FAT)

and apply. Put the Win7 install disc in the DVD drive tray. Quit OS X installer. Shutdown. Reove the UniBeast USB and boot to the Win7 install disc. Format both Windows partitions NTFS and then try to install on the first NTFS partition.

Post results.

So I have done the following from diskutil:
partition 1 for Win7 - name it, select MS DOS (FAT)
partition 2 for Win7 - name it, select MS DOS (FAT)
partition 3 for OS X - name it, select MacOS Extended (Journaled)
partition 4 for OS X - name it, select MacOS Extended (Journaled)
Then quit before installing Lion and started W7 install. Reformat both partition as NTFS but then installer was refusing install on these partitions. Then I took the disk and connected it on an other W7 machine: I saw that non of NTFS partitions were active. SO I took the first one and marked it as active, went back on my hackintosh, relaunch W7 install and this time I was able to install on my first NTFS partition.
Then I restarted Unibeast and completed Lion install.
So every thing seems normal (sometime the disk is making noise as if it was not able to find was OS is looking for but, especially at boot time. But it works)

The only strange things is that on a Mac disk, there is always a 120mb small partition between partitions, here there is none.

What your view ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back