4. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Plus
  4. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I want to update my system from 10.9.3 to 10.9.4. and know that I need to install the new 10.9.4 Trim Patch in order for Trim to work on my SSD. My confusion is over whether I also need to reinstall all the other options that I used to get my system running (which I cant find a list of), or can I just select the Trim Patch as the only thing that MultiBeast will install?

I want to update my system from 10.9.3 to 10.9.4. and know that I need to install the new 10.9.4 Trim Patch in order for Trim to work on my SSD. My confusion is over whether I also need to reinstall all the other options that I used to get my system running (which I cant find a list of), or can I just select the Trim Patch as the only thing that MultiBeast will install?

It depends on the intersection of the "kexts provided in the update" and the "kexts you modified when you originally installed"...

Thanks for the fast response.
I guess for me going from 10.9.3 to 10.9.4 that means installing audio driver (Realtek ALC8xx) and Trim only. Thanks again.

It depends on the intersection of the "kexts provided in the update" and the "kexts you modified when you originally installed"...

I have the same question about Multibeast and do not understand the above quote. I believe that if I run Mutlibeast 6.4.2 and select the 10.9.4 trim patch, build, and then install, that Multibeast will only apply that kext. Is that correct?

The other question is that a trim kext was previously installed for enabling trim for my SSD. Is the 10.9.4 kext for enabling trim going to replace the old kext file, or do I need to delete the previously installed kext for trim? If that is the case, how do I determine which kext I need to delete?

Thanks for any advice!

Jeff

I have the same question about Multibeast and do not understand the above quote.

You understand the concept of "set intersection", right?

Two sets:
A= { 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9 }
B= { 0, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11 }

Intersection of A & B= { 5, 7, 8 }

So, by intersection of "kexts updated" and "kexts originally modified" means you have to know the set of kexts provided by a given update, and the set of kexts you originally modified to install your system. Once you know that, you can easily determine when a given kext is in both sets. That is.. if a kext you modified to get your system working is also modified by an update, you must re-apply whatever modification you did originally.

It is quite logical, actually.

I believe that if I run Mutlibeast 6.4.2 and select the 10.9.4 trim patch, build, and then install, that Multibeast will only apply that kext. Is that correct?

Correct. But it is not "applying a kext". The trim patch is actually patching an existing kext. See below...

The other question is that a trim kext was previously installed for enabling trim for my SSD. Is the 10.9.4 kext for enabling trim going to replace the old kext file, or do I need to delete the previously installed kext for trim? If that is the case, how do I determine which kext I need to delete?

There is no "trim kext." Just a patch to IOACHIBlockStorage.kext (in IOACHIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns). If the update provides a new version of IOACHIBlockStorage.kext, then the trim patch would have to be applied to the new one.

There is no "trim kext." Just a patch to IOACHIBlockStorage.kext (in IOACHIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns). If the update provides a new version of IOACHIBlockStorage.kext, then the trim patch would have to be applied to the new one.

RehabMan,

I really appreciate the walkthrough. I used MultiBeast as a black box when I first setup my Hackintosh and was slightly overwhelmed with everything at the time. I'm trying to not blindly modify anything from here on out. When I applied the trim patch after your explanation I was able to see that the 10.9.0 - 10.9.3 trim patch modified the same kext as the 10.9.4 trim patch. Previously I thought that MultiBeast didn't modify kexts, that it only installed new ones onto the system.

This also gets me multiple steps closer to truly understanding my audio problem and how to fix that.

Basically many thanks!

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back