Contribute
Register

MultiBeast 3.7.2 fails following OS 10.6.8 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have had excellent success with versions of MultiBeast < 3.7.2. Just used software update to upgrade OS 10.6.7 to 10.6.8. Then followed with MultiBeast 3.7.2 which failed to finish. Error message was "see the developer." Lol. MultiBeast got at least as far as saving the AppleHDA folder on the desktop. Subsequent reboots became faster and audio worked. However, and perhaps unrelated to the MultiBeast issues, OS 10.6.8 with Virtualbox 4.0.8 no longer allows guest operating systems to start. Worked perfectly on 10.6.7.

Chose the following:
  • EasyBeast Install[/*:m:2jpxq3r1]
  • System Utilities (omitted Repair Permissions)[/*:m:2jpxq3r1]
  • Chose Audio -> Realtek ALC8xx -> Selected all -> ALC887/888b only[/*:m:2jpxq3r1]
  • Left everything else unchecked as some was already in /Extra/Extensions.[/*:m:2jpxq3r1]

MultiBeast gets as far as writing the AppleHDA folder on the desktop, before announcing it has had errors. Thoughts?

Yep, I just installed 10.6.0, used the combo update to 10.6.8, installed the latest multibeast and had no luck. It gets to to apple logo on boot, but you never see the spinny wheel. I did notice that the HD light was going for a while but nothing ever progressed. Maybe a Multibeast update is needed....

Update. Installed 10.6.8 combo over the top of previous delta update. Ran MultiBeast 3.7.2 again. This time, left EasyBeast unchecked. Selected System Utilities and same audio selections as before. Additionally, chose the miscellaneous IOUSBFamily Rollback. This time, MultiBeast successfully completed its install.

Boot sequence normal, but monitor only showed pale blue screen instead of normal desktop. Had to press power button to shutdown after substantial disk IO ended. Second boot was normal and snapped the expected functional desktop onto the monitor. Normal, stable system.

Update:

Virtualbox problem now solved too. Got careless with the MultiBeast 3.7.2 installation and did not choose 64-bit com.apple.Boot.plist. Kernel was defaulting to 32-bit mode. Once the Kernel Flags entry was updated with arch=x86_64, a reboot (now 64-bit kernel) allowed virtualbox 4.0.8 to run normally as before the 10.6.8 update.

I'm in the same boat with 3.7.3

I have had nothing but good luck with Multibeast. I constantly get "The installation failed" with the latest version. I finally got around to loading 10.6.8 last night. Every attempt at MB results in fail. I think it has loaded some things (bootloader was successful). But no audio even though I select the Realtek audio option each attempt...

Just tried the audio selection all by itself, and it still fails :banghead:

EDIT -
3.7.2 - failed on just audio
3.3.0 - Successful on just audio, BUT no sound device after reboot

EDIT AGAIN:
I'm an idiot and at some point chose the non-ddst Realtek kexts and those were in s/l/e :eek:

So I'm back in business! Not sure why 3.7.3 wasn't showing me the love but I renamed my Extra folder and eventually got it to run without errors. :headbang:

You have to use Multibeast 3.8.0 with Mac OS 10.6.8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back