Contribute
Register

Multi-display setup

Long time since my first build,
13 years, very impressive. That's great old X58 hardware.
Is there any chance I can have all 5 displays in my next build
If you're not doing something graphics intensive like Video/Photo editing, you could easily
run two AMD WX4100's 5100's or 7100's They don't take up much space or draw a lot of power.

Very affordable way to run 5 monitors. They can also still be found new on Amazon.

Last edited:
The Radeon Pro VII might cost as much secondhand as a new RX 6700 XT or RX 6800.

You can use the RX 6700 XT in macOS with NootRX.kext, myself and a few others have been doing so for just shy of four months (October 2023).

With the release of the RX7000 series of dGPU's the older RX 6800 and 6900 cards have come down in price, where the seller isn't trying to gouge the buyer!

Amazon.co.uk have an XFX RX 6700 XT for £331

Amazon.co.uk have a Radeon Pro VII (new) for £396

Amazon.co.uk have an XFX RX 6800 for £420

How much is a secondhand Radeon Pro VII going to cost where you live? Here in the UK eBay has the Radeon VII (non Pro) for sale starting at £300.

I could get AMD Radeon VII for around 300€. Keep in mind I want to use 5 displays with a single dGPU.

Radeon Pro VII is probably your best option then, as the non-Pro Radeon VII only supports 4 x Displays as do the RX 6700 XT, RX 6800 XT and other 6000 series AMD GPUs.

The Radeon Pro WX 9100 might be an option, slightly older card but supports up to 6 x displays (mDP out). But it has 30% less performance than the Radeon Pro VII. But also a lot less expensive than the newer cards, only £139 on eBay.

Keep in mind I want to use 5 displays with a single dGPU.
What is the reason for the 5 monitors ? Why does it have to be a single dGPU ?

There's no specific reason. But over the years I built this this setup which I got used to and I don't see reason why change it. I'm currently using two dGPUs and it's working great. I'm running 1x29",2x22" and 2x24" displays with all programs and windows opened that I need on a daily basis. As I'm informed, to do this in a new build the motherboard would need 2xPCIeX16 slots or at least 1xPCIeX16 and 1xPCIeX8. Correct me if I'm wrong. So to avoid any complications I would rather just go with 1xdGPU. Since I'm not gaming on PC or using Windows, single Radeon Pro VII or W5700 would be best option for my needs, assuming all card outputs work in hackintosh.

Correct: To have two dGPU, which is the easiest option for many displays, you need a board with two PCIe slots sharing 16 CPU lanes in x16/x0 or x8/x8 configuration. In the LGA1700 generation, these boards are rare and generally expensive (bu there's the Golden Build Asus Z690 ProArt and its siblings), so you're left with Radeon Pro cards which support six (WX 8200, WX 9100, Pro VII) or five (W5700) displays.
The good thing for you is that, as illustrated above by @Edhawk, prices for these cards are now quite user-friendly.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your input. It's been a massive help.

Currently on my parts list:

MB: GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX
CPU: INTEL Core i7-14700K
GPU: AMD Radeon Pro VII 16GB
RAM: G.Skill 2x32GB DDR5 6400 MHz
SSD: WD BLACK SN850X NVMe SSD 2TB

Still deciding on CPU cooler (air or AIO). Can you even control AIO RGB lighting in hackintosh and how does that effect with sleep, or is it better just to stick to air coolers? Any good suggestions?
And which modular PSU would you recommend (that also supports Radeon VII cable-wise)? Corsair RM850x, RM1000x, HX1000i,...

Currently on my parts list:
Did you notice that the seller of that Radeon Pro is in Italy ? Could take longer to get
or be more difficult to return if you don't live in the EU.

APPIEFFE GROUP SRL
P.IVA 11872671000 - REA RM1333623
Via Codigoro 9 00127 Roma
ITALY

Back