Contribute
Register

MSI's Vortex taking on the Apple Mac Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to spend 3,800 USD on a gaming PC, yes it would be great. Just buy a few lottery
tickets and hope for the best. There will be a lower priced 2x 960s version for 1,999 is what
MSI is saying today. Looks like they took apart a Mac Pro and then copied it but just made the
exterior look different to appeal to gamers. So as not to get sued :think: ? Don't think Apple would
waste any lawyers or money on that. They sell so few of the cMPs compared to iPhones.

Anyway, those that edit with Premiere Pro it could be a real nice portable hackintosh rig.

[video=youtube_share;PKLvTlUlYlk]http://youtu.be/PKLvTlUlYlk[/video]

any chance this is hackintosh capable out of the box?

It's Skylake based so it would need some work. Look for User Builds with MSI Z170 motherboards
and see how it's going with those. If those are working then you should be able to do the same
with one of these.

Im complete new into Hackintosh till now. Im thinking of buying the MSI Vortex, because Apple isnt able to Provide me anything similar right now. And i dont like to have self build pc towers in my room, because i know nothing about this things. But i cant live without MacOS, what do u think about the possibility to get MacOS (Hackintosh) on a MSI Vortex at the moment? Is there a good chance to get it work with everything or not?

Im complete new into Hackintosh till now. Im thinking of buying the MSI Vortex, because Apple isnt able to Provide me anything similar right now. And i dont like to have self build pc towers in my room, because i know nothing about this things. But i cant live without MacOS, what do u think about the possibility to get MacOS (Hackintosh) on a MSI Vortex at the moment? Is there a good chance to get it work with everything or not?

You'll have to reasearch all the specs: motherboard, audio, LAN to see if it will work. Try the MSI website and then look on this site to see if it is all compatible with OS X El Capitan. Here's one with dual 960's for a reasonable price.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GSQOYQ0/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

It has TB3 (2) so that will not work until Apple starts putting that into Macs that they sell.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread. The MSI Vortex G65 with dual GeForce 960 can be bought fairly cheap these days. Been searching online for any success stories but it seems like no one's taken on the task. At least no one that would like to share their stories.

Bumping this thread. The MSI Vortex G65 with dual GeForce 960 can be bought fairly cheap these days. Been searching online for any success stories but it seems like no one's taken on the task. At least no one that would like to share their stories.
Looks like you'll be the first to try it if you decide to take a chance on one. Here's the most BFYB deal I could find:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=MSVG65SLI002
You'll get 32GB of DDR4 ram, dual GTX 980s and an I7-6700K for only $2,199. Amazing deal.
I don't think you could build something from scratch with the same specs for less than that price.
Looks like these haven't sold well and the Skylake versions are being phased out at wholesale prices.

I finally got one of these (MSI Vortex G65VR 7RF-229) and will give it a try.
Just out of curiosity :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back