Graphics
EVGA GTX670FTW
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
In 2012 this site helped me buy my components in order to hackintosh them, which went great and I enjoyed the system until about a year ago. I built the system labeled in the title, and want to know if anyone has had any luck with my MOBO in particular. Last time I had my system boot directly into OSX and also had WIN7 and Ubuntu installed for fun.

This time around I already have a rig that I love, and want to use windows most of the time on this PC as its primarily a gaming rig.

I am self employed and manage my business on my MBPRO and don't need my current setup for double duty. So this time around I'd rather not impede my boot process much time wise, and don't want to sacrifice performance at all. Is this do able?

Last time around my main goal was to save money over a desk top version of a mac product. I did have small issues with imessage and USB on awake. I don't want these issues on my new set up. I was also booting from one drive last time with three OS's on it, this time around I have a separate samsung sata ssd i could dedicate to OSX.

Any pointers?

Heres the old rig

I've never used an MSI motherboard, but from all that I've read, Z370 in general works very well with macOS.

Dual booting macOS and Windows is easy. Just select the OS you want to boot to from the Clover boot menu. Installing each OS on its own drive is advisable because, in my experience, Windows updates can mess with the EFI partition. Also, avoid Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSDs because it causes kernel panics in macOS even if you only use it for your Windows install. The regular 970 EVO and 970 Pro don't have any problems.

iMessage and sleep/wake work great with my Z370 motherboard, but, again, I've never tried an MSI motherboard...

The only other thing is that Nvidia still hasn't released any Mojave drivers and they haven't given any indication of when or even if it will ever be released. AMD cards run much, much, much better with macOS than Nvidia cards. If you want GTX 1070 levels of performance, I suggest looking at a Vega 56. I switch from a GTX 1080 to Vega 56 about a year ago and have been extremely happy with my decision. If you are determined to stick with an Nvidia card, you will be stuck with High Sierra.

I wouldnt mind using the IG on my 8700k in OSX, is that an option?

Yes, IGPU will work. There are some users who have disabled their Nvidia cards and used IGPU in macOS. I have never personally tried this so you'll have to search around the forum for instructions.

I guess I never laid out my main goals.

I'd love to be able to jump on this rig, reboot into OSX and have a native OSX experience and take advantage of Imessage and Keychain...

I guess I never laid out my main goals.

I'd love to be able to jump on this rig, reboot into OSX and have a native OSX experience and take advantage of Imessage and Keychain...

Unless the MSI motherboard is radically different than other Z370 motherboards, that shouldn't be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back