Contribute
Register

MSI RX560 not working with Optiplex 7010 (Catalina 10.15.3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 7010
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
HD 4000 + RX 560
Hi all,

I have followed the wonderful guide by trs96 (Install Catalina on the Dell Optiplex 7010 / 9010 Desktop PC) and everything went fine until that point where I decided to buy a MSI RX560.
I have changed changed Primary Display to "ATI Radeon HD Graphics", updated WEG and Lilu kexts to the latest versions, but for some unknown reason Catalina always freezes during boot.
Maybe someone has an idea what I did wrong (EFI folder attached)?

Thanks

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 72
Looks like I've found the "culprit" - it's the identifier Macmini6,2 in combination with the graphic card RX560.
If I remove the GPU, then it works fine, if I add the RX650, then it won't work with this identifier, but with for example iMac13,2 it works.

Looks like I've found the "culprit" - it's the identifier Macmini6,2 in combination with the graphic card RX560.
If I remove the GPU, then it works fine, if I add the RX650, then it won't work with this identifier, but with for example iMac13,2 it works.

You haven't described your freeze very well. Does the computer reboot or are you getting black screen?
You might try adding the agdpmod=pikera boot argument, which seem to work for some Radeon owners,
and you might try setting InjectKexts to Yes in System Parameters in your config.

Thanks for the feedback.
It just hangs during boot, neither restart nor black screen.
agdpmod=pikera did not work, unfortunately.
I just have to change the identifier in the Config.plist and it boots without problems.

Thanks for the feedback.
It just hangs during boot, neither restart nor black screen.
agdpmod=pikera did not work, unfortunately.
I just have to change the identifier in the Config.plist and it boots without problems.

Hopefully you've set InjectKexts to yes.

The iMac13,2 came with an i5-3470, which had Intel HD2500 graphics as the
IGPU, and expected to find a DGPU. Your 13,2 configuration did.

On the other hand, the MacMini6,2 with an i7 had Intel HD4000 graphics which
could operate independently as an IGPU, and didn't expect a DGPU.

Get a copy of IORegistryExplorer, whch you can find here or download from
Apple Developer Xcode Hardware 11.4 extras. Look for the ig-platform-id
associated with your IGPU. If you're operating headless it will probably be
listed as 07006201, but if you have the full blown HD4000 it will be 0A006601,
and you'll see some framebuffers in the IGPU.

You might want to define your ig-platform-id in the device properties of your config.plist.
Hackintool can help you with the syntax.

Thanks a lot for these additional information - to be honest, I do not know what exactly I can do no. I am OK at following guides (created for dummies like me), but I am not so good at doing my own research.

Actually the config.plist is exactly like in the EFI Folder attached.

Is there an easy to follow guide for dummies like me?
I've downloaded IORegistryExplorer, but I cannot find something about ig-platform-id there. :(

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 54
Boot your 7010, and open IORegistryExplorer there. If the application window
doesn't have IOService in the upper left corner, use the pulldown menu there
to select it. in the top to the right, type in IGPU. It will only display sections
related to the IGPU, and will highlight the IGPU line on the left (IGPU@2 probably)
below.

On the right it will show all the defined properties of the IGPU, which were assigned
by Clover, your config.plist, and the macOS. Scroll down through the right list
until you come to AAPL,ig-platform-id, which is a Property key. The value is
of type Data and is listed in reversed hexadecimal. When your SMBIOS is MacMini6,2
it is probably listed as <0a 00 66 01>. If it is operating in headless mode, it is
probably <07 00 62 01>. Take a look and see if it changes after booting as MacMini
or iMac13,2.

I must be doing something wrong, when I type IGPU, only this one (attached) comes up. :(
Sorry for taking up your time.

So far I can only boot into the system if SMBIOS is iMac13,2, with MacMini6,2 it always hangs in the boot screen and I cannot even do a fresh installation.

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    99.5 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Thats the controller for your AMD GPU. Maybe your IGPU
has not been recognized and renamed by Whatevergreen,
or it is disabled in BIOS. Can you boot as a MacMini with
the RX580 removed, and see what it says then? Alternatively,
you can define the IGPU in your config.plist by setting the
AAPL,ig-device-id property.

When I change Primary Display to AMD HD Graphics in BIOS then I cannot boot with MacMini6,2 SMBIOS.
But when I set it to Intel GPU and plug the DP-cable into the DP port of the motherboard, then I can boot with the MacMini6,2 SMBIOS and IORegistry Explorer shows me the following value for the Intel GPU: 05 00 62 01

So is this the value that I will have to add to the config plist now (after having changed Primary Display back to AMD and he config plist back to iMac13,2)?
(Checking some Clover Configurator guides atm to find out how to do this)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back