Contribute
Register

MSI RX 560 LP - Fans at 2800+ at idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
My MSI RX460 fan/pump speed rate is 30% at idle, standard 9 cm cooling fan, fan speed round 1200 rpm.

If cooling fan is 6 or 7 cm, fan/pump speed rate at 30%, fan speed should round 2500-3000 rpm.

My MSI RX460 fan/pump speed rate is 30% at idle, standard 9 cm cooling fan, fan speed 1100-1200 rpm.

If cooling fan is 6 or 7 cm, fan/pump speed rate at 30%, fan speed should round 2500-3000 rpm.

Hmm. Interesting…

This baby is going back I think.

There simply isn’t any need for a card like this to be running the fan so high at idle, as I have seen in windows. Frustrating.

In any case, I really really want to thank everyone so much for all the thoughts and efforts to help here.

@pastrychef & @mattystonnie especially thank you guys!

Last edited:
Just an update to this.
I got confirmation that MSI is super super conservative with these and the 30% idle is by design.

Pretty frustrating as my usage and continued testing in Windows found it to be incredibly over aggressive and unnecessary.

I even tried flashing an alternate MSI 560 BIOS but the card didn't like it, so barring something like VGTab for these, or removing the fans and rolling your own cooling or maybe a low noise adapter mod, it's not a great card for hackintosh use in my opinion - at this time anyhow - at least not if noise at idle is something you care about.

It sounds like maybe this got worse with recent releases of macOS since others have had this exact card and been happier with it in the past.

or removing the fans and rolling your own cooling or maybe a low noise adapter mod,

In theory, remove fan 1 black wire and fan 2 red wire, jumped two wires in serial connection, fan speed will equal to 3000 divided by 2, round 1500 rpm.

In theory, remove fan 1 black wire and fan 2 red wire, jumped two wires in serial connection, fan speed will equal to 3000 divided by 2, round 1500 rpm.

Good thoughts - thanks
Hopefully others carry the torch on this, as I'm sending mine back.

My whole goal with an RX 5xx card is native OOB, so I'm switching into a Sapphire RX 580 Nitro

I know this thread is 1.5 years old, but I wanted to bump it with my similar situation to see if anything has improved with OSX since this was posted (and not resolved). I have a Gigabyte 4GB RX 560 that similarly runs at constant/steady/loud fan speed 100% of the time in Mojave. An RX 560 was recommended for OOB compatibility (and I just added in in my upgrade from Yosemite to Mojave), but the little I have found online suggest it may be difficult or impossible to resolve the fan speed issue.

The card is working great with Acre and ATI-inject. My hack still has some other boot-related issues and occasional crashes. I have tried a few things to reduce the fans, and am willing to try some more. I am also prepared to sell this and find a fully compatible card. Any suggestions (I just want one 4k monitor, and an occasional 2nd HD monitor)?

Can anybody provide a recommendation if I should a) try to fix the fan speed on this card (is it possible?) or b) should I abandon it and look for a replacement card that is compatible?

Can anybody provide a recommendation if I should a) try to fix the fan speed on this card (is it possible?) or b) should I abandon it and look for a replacement card that is compatible?
I have that same card now, I don’t have the issue. I’m using Big Sur now, I haven’t used Mojave lately, is this with a security update or has this happened for a long time?

Thanks for your response. To be clear, you have the Gigabyte RX 560 4GB (as I don't see that listed in your signature, just 480 versions)?

I recently upgraded from Chimera/Yosemite to Clover/Mojave. As part of this upgrade I had to replace my non-compatible Radeon 6870 with the RX 560. So, I don't have a history with the card prior to installing it (just after installing Mojave), and have had this problem from the get-go.

I did purchase the card used; is there some chance that the prior owner's settings, or some change they made is causing this? I think they were mining crypto for what it is worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back