Contribute
Register

MSI PRO Z690 A DDR4 + i7-12700K + AMD RX 580

Hi folks, hoping to get some troubleshooting help. I'm getting the graphics-go-to-black-screen issue after what looks like a successful boot. This is after a Sonoma update.
I had a working OC 095 running Ventura on two NVMEs. It came from NATA's 088 updated using my best effort to 095.
I booted the backup drive, and updated to Sonoma (it gave me weird errors through System Settings -> update, but I downloaded the full package and it was fine). When I came back, I think it was booted up but at black screen. I wasn't sure what had happened, so I booted 095 to my primary drive, and installed Sonoma to the backup drive. When I came back, it was booted apparently cleanly to Sonoma, but IIRC wifi wasn't working (I have a wireless PCI card that allegedly is essentially the same as Apple hardware and is natively detected, "Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.77.111.1 AirPortDriverBrcmNIC-1766)" in system report), and drives other than the boot drive were not available, almost like it was in some sort of safe mode. Sound, ethernet, other stuff seemed ok.
But when I rebooted it black screened after boot.
I tried adding -v but it doesn't hang. It seems to boot up and goes to black screen. I should note it's a dual monitor setup.
I tried a 096 config I found on this thread, and it actually boots up to a logon screen! but after entering password, the screen went garbled, and then it black screened, didn't get to desktop.
The 096 config won't boot the Ventura drive, it hangs almost immediately.

I've attached the 095 config and the 096 config. Happy to provide any further details.

Thanks very much.

I had a similar problem as you. I have an RX6600 graphics card, but it showed a black screen after booting. I successfully pre-installed the system on a HDD with no black screen. So, I switched to my original NVMe SSD. However, the screen went black. Everything else seemed fine, except for the screen. The only difference between the HDD and the NVMe was the type of storage device. So, I changed the PCIe speed of the NVMe from Gen4 to Gen3. Then the screen came back. I'm using WD Black SN850X supporting Gen4.

After testing it multiple times, I changed the NVMe speed back to Gen4. Now it works on Gen4. It is strange. Does the computer learn? Maybe there are some adaptive features in the BIOS that caused the issue.

I'm using the boot-args "keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 alcid=66 -wegnoigpu agdpmod=pikera".

I jumped on this system. Additional items that I changed for my MSI Pro Z690-A WIFI + i9-12900K + RX6600 are;
  • USB HS14 is used by the internal intel bluetooth (IOUSBHostDevice). I had to enable the port for the bluetooth. It doesn't pair with an iPhone as everyone knows.
  • USB SS03(HS04) is used by the internal Type-C header for the front panel.
  • I had to set DisableSecurityPolicy to true because HfsPlus.efi failed to be loaded (access denied).
  • In the BIOS, I disabled the thunderbolt option.
  • boot-args are "keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 alcid=66 -wegnoigpu agdpmod=pikera".
What is not working properly (needs to be fixed);
  • Darkwake on 3AM, 6AM even if I disabled all possible pmset options.
  • High CPU temperature. I'm using dual-fan cooler. Lite Load 9 at default in the BIOS but I lowered it to 6 but CPU voltage is still high.
  • Screen goes black during booting under some conditions. I don't know what causes it.

Code:
00:59:30 -0400 Sleep                   Entering Sleep state due to 'Software Sleep pid=184': Using AC (Charge:0%) 7239 secs
03:00:09 -0400 DarkWake                DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] : due to RTC/Maintenance Using AC (Charge:0%) 45 secs
03:00:54 -0400 Sleep                   Entering Sleep state due to 'Maintenance Sleep': Using AC (Charge:0%) 10756 secs
06:00:10 -0400 DarkWake                DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] : due to RTC/Maintenance Using AC (Charge:0%) 0 secs
06:00:10 -0400 Sleep                   Entering Sleep state due to 'Maintenance Sleep': Using AC (Charge:0%) 1395 secs
06:23:25 -0400 DarkWake                DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] : due to XDCI/ Using AC (Charge:0%) 22 secs
06:23:47 -0400 Wake                    DarkWake to FullWake from Normal Sleep [CDNVA] : due to HID Activity Using AC (Charge:0%)

Edit)
  • Darkwake issue: I found the solution for the Darkwake. Refer this thread: Random (Scheduled PM) Wake from Sleep
  • High CPU temperature issue: I solved it at this => MSI Z690-A WiFi + i9-12900K temperature.
  • Black screen with AMD RX6600: Remove -v option in the boot-args, or make the NVMe SSD slow (Gen4 -> Gen3, for example). This is not a true solution though. I guess it happens because of kexts loading sequences/racing.

Last edited:
Hi folks, hoping to get some troubleshooting help. I'm getting the graphics-go-to-black-screen issue after what looks like a successful boot. This is after a Sonoma update.
I had a working OC 095 running Ventura on two NVMEs. It came from NATA's 088 updated using my best effort to 095.
I booted the backup drive, and updated to Sonoma (it gave me weird errors through System Settings -> update, but I downloaded the full package and it was fine). When I came back, I think it was booted up but at black screen. I wasn't sure what had happened, so I booted 095 to my primary drive, and installed Sonoma to the backup drive. When I came back, it was booted apparently cleanly to Sonoma, but IIRC wifi wasn't working (I have a wireless PCI card that allegedly is essentially the same as Apple hardware and is natively detected, "Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.77.111.1 AirPortDriverBrcmNIC-1766)" in system report), and drives other than the boot drive were not available, almost like it was in some sort of safe mode. Sound, ethernet, other stuff seemed ok.
But when I rebooted it black screened after boot.
I tried adding -v but it doesn't hang. It seems to boot up and goes to black screen. I should note it's a dual monitor setup.
I tried a 096 config I found on this thread, and it actually boots up to a logon screen! but after entering password, the screen went garbled, and then it black screened, didn't get to desktop.
The 096 config won't boot the Ventura drive, it hangs almost immediately.

I had a similar problem as you. I have an RX6600 graphics card, but it showed a black screen after booting. I successfully pre-installed the system on a HDD with no black screen. So, I switched to my original NVMe SSD. However, the screen went black. Everything else seemed fine, except for the screen. The only difference between the HDD and the NVMe was the type of storage device. So, I changed the PCIe speed of the NVMe from Gen4 to Gen3. Then the screen came back. I'm using WD Black SN850X supporting Gen4.

After testing it multiple times, I changed the NVMe speed back to Gen4. Now it works on Gen4. It is strange. Does the computer learn? Maybe there are some adaptive features in the BIOS that caused the issue.

I'm using the boot-args "keepsyms=1 debug=0x100 alcid=66 -wegnoigpu agdpmod=pikera".
The same issue was reported to the opencore developer but it's closed without further testings. See opencore developer bug report #2213 (through similar thread in tonymacx86).

Workaround is not using -v boot-args option at this time.

I installed an AMD RX 6600 POWERCOLOR FIGHTER (bulk) in my MSI B660 system-Ventura-12600-64GB. The screen goes black for 3 or 4 seconds just before the end of the boot sequence and then it shows the desktop. Beside that, everything is normal.

@medianjoe and others, thanks for taking a look. I don't have any progress unfortunately.
I did turn off -v but no net change. I also tried installing to an HDD and setting the PCIE speed to Gen3 in the BIOS with no net change.

With 095 (config posted above) I can boot my Ventura system. Although I should note I do now see text before OpenCore picker that I don't recall seeing before. Talking about OC: Deleting an NVRAM setting for being Invalid (apparently my empty rtc-blacklist), and apfs.efi LocateProtocol(AppleLogging) succeeded.
I cannot boot either Sonoma install with 095. They both go through normal boot but go to black screen.

With 096 (config posted above) Ventura hangs and doesn't progress on the Apple logo boot screen.
Both Sonoma systems boot to the login screen, but the moment I hit enter, they black screen and reboot.
With 096 the pre-OC picker messages no longer include anything about an NVRAM setting being invalid (even though my configs are identical for this), and there are three apfs.efi LocalProtocol succeeded messages instead of 1.

tldr; I probably need someone to post a working Sonoma EFI for this system.
Thank again.

@medianjoe and others, thanks for taking a look. I don't have any progress unfortunately.
I did turn off -v but no net change. I also tried installing to an HDD and setting the PCIE speed to Gen3 in the BIOS with no net change.

with 095 (config posted above) I can boot my Ventura system, altho I should note I do now see text before OpenCore picker that I don't recall seeing before, talking about OC: Deleting an NVRAM setting for being Invalid (apparently my empty rtc-blacklist), and apfs.efi LocateProtocol(AppleLogging) succeeded.
I cannot boot either Sonoma install with 095, they both go through normal boot but go to black screen.

with 096 (config posted above) Ventura hangs and doesn't progress on the Apple logo boot screen.
Both Sonoma systems boot to the login screen, but the moment I hit enter, they black screen and reboot.
With 096 the pre-OC picker messages no longer include anything about an NVRAM setting being invalid (even though my configs are identical for this), and there are three apfs.efi LocalProtocol succeeded messages instead of 1.

tldr; I probably need someone to post a working Sonoma EFI for this system.
Thank again.

My config.plist has the following settings with no issue (I mean no warning).
<key>4D1FDA02-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B30102</key>
<dict>
<key>rtc-blacklist</key>
<data></data>
<key>revcpu</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>revcpuname</key>
<string>16 Core Intel i9-12900K</string>
<key>run-efi-updater</key>
<string>No</string>
</dict>

I think the loading sequence of kexts affects the black screen. HDD and -v option are just factors that change the sequence.

I chose a CPU setting for my purpose.
  • BIOS -> OC -> Advanced CPU Configuration -> CPU Lite Load = 7
  • BIOS -> OC -> CPU Core Voltage Mode = Offset Mode
  • BIOS -> OC -> CPU Core Voltage Offset Mode = (- By CPU)
  • BIOS -> OC -> CPU Core Voltage Offset = 0.075
  • BIOS -> OC -> CPU Cooler Tuning -> Tower Cooler(280W)
Hardware setting)
  • CPU: i9-12900K
  • CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE (dual tower/fan cooler)
  • CPU Socket: Thermalright Intel 1700 buckle
Result) (When running Cinebench 24)
  • Cinebench 24 scores: 1603 (macOS 14.1)
  • Cinebench 23 scores: 27094 (macOS 14.1)
  • CPU power consumption: 215W (macOS 14.1) (occasionally jump to 260W)
  • Room temperature: 23C
  • CPU Max Temperature: 81C (macOS 14.1)
  • Geekbench 6.1 scores: 15434 (macOS 14.1)
GeekBench 6 is 15,4xx. It is 16,1xx without the voltage offset but it could not finish CineBench24 because of overheating.

cinebench-12900k-macos.png

Last edited:
@medianjoe Thanks for the EFI, your EFI boots my Sonoma install. My 095 was pretty close to yours, I'll try to do a bit of analysis about what was different and why I was having trouble. I note that on Ventura, I would get a lot of (IIRC) WindowServer crashes, playing games, or just using a browser. The screens would garble, return to the login prompt, and after logging in I'd get a popup about WindowServer crashed. In fact, with my 095 on Ventura that was stable 95% of the time, just yesterday I booted and got into a windowserver crash loop on login, rebooted, and the problem went away. I'm kind of assuming that my 095 Sonoma boot was actually a WindowServer crash.

Hi all! I want add Thunderbolt to my system, and I think I need to flash a Titan Ridge. I saw I can buy one online that's flashed but I can't find any for hackingtosh or venture, only for Mac Pro 5.1

Would still still work?
How is the process for Ventura?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Back