3. iBook
  4. Power Mac
  5. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Short version:
Parts:
  • Thermaltake TR2 700W PSU
  • MSI PC-Mate Z170A motherboard (ALC887 audio, ASMedia USB 3.1 gen2)
  • 16GB DDR4 Crucial RAM (2x 8GB)
  • Intel i5 6500 CPU (HD 530 graphics)
  • Western Digital 1TB HD (7200 RPM, 64 MB cache, 6 GB/s)
  • Netgear WG311T 802.11g PCI card
Issues:
  • On boot, sometimes I get the prohibited sign. Pushing the reset button will get it to boot pretty reliably.
  • No wifi (kinda expected that, card is old. Interesting that system information says there are no PCI cards, though)
  • Consistent kernel panic attempting to wake from sleep, followed by 'your computer was restarted because of a problem' message at next login. Also sorta expected, since I am running on integrated graphics.
  • audio is not working, except I haven't tried the HDMI audio
Story:
A few months ago I built myself a mostly new system. I was aiming for budget performance, to run my copy of Win7Pro, then upgrade it to Windows 10, and with an eye toward OS X a little later.

I assembled the system as above, except with an ancient (11-12 years old) ATi Radeon X850 XT, and a 5 year old Hitachi 0f10383 HD(1 TB, 7200 RPM, 32MB cache, 3.0 GB/s) purchased several builds ago. Worked great in windows, up until I actually upgraded to Win10, when the graphics card fell out of the supported category, and the machine couldn't sleep. The hard drive still works, it's just not connected while I figure out OSX on the new WD drive

So I recently decided to pull the trigger. Bought the Western Digital drive, a 16 GB Lexar USB, pulled the old ATi card. Used the guide, though the usb formatting instructions were not helpful, as the machine I used to make the boot drive was running El Capitan already. Figured out what to do pretty quickly, basically the same instructions as the guide provides for the hard drive during installation.

At first I was getting kernel panics, alternating with the prohibited symbol (actually, got the prohibited sign first) those (the kernel panics) were because the serial port was turned on in the bios. I think. They stopped when I turned it and the parallel port off. Then the installer booted and ran with no issues, brief stop at the prohibited sign, post install with MultiBeast, all seems OK. Haven't tested HDMI audio, or really any audio, but the kexts are installed for the Realtek chip...

And that's where I am.
Edit: System Preferences says "No output devices found" under Sound.

Last edited:
Hello,
i´ve installed OS X 10.11.5 and everything worked.

the sound in the system preferences the output was in the of Optical output, i had to change it to
internal speakers output. Maybe it´s your issue.

My Specs:
Mobo: MSI z170A PC MATE
CPU: Intel QuadCore i5-6400 2,7MHZ
RAM: Kinsgston 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz DDR4 ECC HyperX Fury Black
PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze
Storage: SSD Samsung 850 Evo 250GB OSX
BitFenix Neos ATX Case
Using System Definition iMAC 14,2

Hello,
i´ve installed OS X 10.11.5 and everything worked.

the sound in the system preferences the output was in the of Optical output, i had to change it to
internal speakers output. Maybe it´s your issue.

My Specs:
Mobo: MSI z170A PC MATE
CPU: Intel QuadCore i5-6400 2,7MHZ
RAM: Kinsgston 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz DDR4 ECC HyperX Fury Black
PSU: Seasonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze
Storage: SSD Samsung 850 Evo 250GB OSX
BitFenix Neos ATX Case
Using System Definition iMAC 14,2
No issues with sleep?
I might have to change my sytem definition. Believe it is set to one of the Mac Pro definitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back