Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
9400GT
Mac
  1. iMac
Hello, I need some assistance. I am trying to upgrade my GPU. I currently have a EVGA GeForce 9400 512MB that run good on Yosemite. I purchased the “MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 128-bit 2GB GDRR5”. Primarily because I read that it works OOB and is compatible with High Sierra and above when I am ready to upgrade from Yosemite.

I cloned my OS drive and installed the cloned drive in an open drive bay. I then installed the new GPU. The machine booted fine, but the resolution is incorrect (1024x768) which I kind of expected because I had nvidia injected in the config.plist. I removed the injection with clover configurator, saved the config.plist rebooted and nothing changed. The resolution was still off (1024x768) my normal resolution is 1080. In addition to the resolution being incorrect, the screen rolls at the login page.

I have tried several things including adding “fake id 0x67FF1002 and vendor id 0x1002”. I changed the machine type to “mac pro 6.1” in SMBIOS but for some strange reason it still says imac when I go to “about this mac” it still says iMac and not mac pro. I have also added the Lilu and WhateverGreen kext to the others folder as well. In the "Yosemite Graphics Issue Pic 1" you will see that under "Graphics" is says "display 7mb"

FYI, I did an installation of High Sierra on another drive and the card works great with that OS.
Images attached showing the correct card information.

I am stuck and any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Yosemite Graphics Issue Pic 1.png
    Yosemite Graphics Issue Pic 1.png
    50 KB · Views: 64
  • Yosemite Graphics Issue Pic 2.png
    Yosemite Graphics Issue Pic 2.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 76
  • config.plist
    4.6 KB · Views: 63
  • High Sierra Graphics Card pic 1.png
    High Sierra Graphics Card pic 1.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 78
  • High Sierra Graphics Card pic 2.png
    High Sierra Graphics Card pic 2.png
    79.4 KB · Views: 98
Hello, I need some assistance. I am trying to upgrade my GPU. I currently have a EVGA GeForce 9400 512MB that run good on Yosemite. I purchased the “MSI Gaming Radeon RX 560 128-bit 2GB GDRR5”. Primarily because I read that it works OOB and is compatible with High Sierra and above when I am ready to upgrade from Yosemite.

I cloned my OS drive and installed the cloned drive in an open drive bay. I then installed the new GPU. The machine booted fine, but the resolution is incorrect (1024x768) which I kind of expected because I had nvidia injected in the config.plist. I removed the injection with clover configurator, saved the config.plist rebooted and nothing changed. The resolution was still off (1024x768) my normal resolution is 1080. In addition to the resolution being incorrect, the screen rolls at the login page.

I have tried several things including adding “fake id 0x67FF1002 and vendor id 0x1002”. I changed the machine type to “mac pro 6.1” in SMBIOS but for some strange reason it still says imac when I go to “about this mac” it still says iMac and not mac pro. I have also added the Lilu and WhateverGreen kext to the others folder as well. In the "Yosemite Graphics Issue Pic 1" you will see that under "Graphics" is says "display 7mb"

FYI, I did an installation of High Sierra on another drive and the card works great with that OS.
Images attached showing the correct card information.

I am stuck and any help is greatly appreciated!

The RX 560 has no support in Yosemite. As you are aware yourself, you need High Sierra 10.13.6 and above to use this card. In Yosemite you won't be able to change the resolution no matter what you tried.

JamesBond007, Thank you for the reply and information. That is a bummer about the card. I was hoping to get a GPU that I could dual boot and work with both operating systems. If you are aware of a GPU that would work with Yosemite and High Sierra please let me know. I'll be installing my old GPU and start searching again for one that will be compatible with with both operating systems.

JamesBond007, Thank you for the reply and information. That is a bummer about the card. I was hoping to get a GPU that I could dual boot and work with both operating systems. If you are aware of a GPU that would work with Yosemite and High Sierra please let me know. I'll be installing my old GPU and start searching again for one that will be compatible with with both operating systems.

If you want a card that works in both Yosemite and High Sierra, then you will need an older card. For example a GTX 760 or a Radeon HD 7870 will do. I am using these cards in different systems and both work from Yosemite to High Sierra. You should be able to find them second hand.

JamesBond007, Who is the manufacture of your GeForce GTX 760 and Radeon HD 7870 cards? The used Asus card I purchased is not working for me. I did a clean install of Yosemite using clover, did post installation and restarted the computer and right after I login the screen goes blank. I've been fighting with this for over a week and have had no luck what so ever. I'm beginning to think I purchased a bad card. I posted in the "General Help" what I tried to get the card running, but so far no luck.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/graphics-card-upgrade-issues.269595/

I'm going to try one more clean install using Chimera instead of Clover.

JamesBond007, Who is the manufacture of your GeForce GTX 760 and Radeon HD 7870 cards? The used Asus card I purchased is not working for me. I did a clean install of Yosemite using clover, did post installation and restarted the computer and right after I login the screen goes blank. I've been fighting with this for over a week and have had no luck what so ever. I'm beginning to think I purchased a bad card. I posted in the "General Help" what I tried to get the card running, but so far no luck.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/graphics-card-upgrade-issues.269595/

I'm going to try one more clean install using Chimera instead of Clover.

I have 3 GTX 760 graphics cards : MSI / Inno3D / Galaxy. All tested and worked under Yosemite to High Sierra. My 7870 is a Sapphire card.

JamesBond007, Thanks for your help! I picked up a EVGA GTX 760 and everything is working great! I think the Asus card that I bought was the issue.

JamesBond007, Thanks for your help! I picked up a EVGA GTX 760 and everything is working great! I think the Asus card that I bought was the issue.

Excellent. Great to see your issues resolved. You are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back