nVidia GTX285
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,
At the moment I have a dual boot setup with windows on an SSD and OSX on a HDD.
Now, OSX is very fast as is, on a SSD, but I am thinking of moving it onto the SSD, and moving windows onto the HDD.

Now, I've heard some things about alignment that might get lots and how it would decrease SSD performance. Is that true, and how bad does it affect my performance?

All thoughts and feedback are welcome!

Windows 7 already has the proper alignment when installed to a HDD. Not sure about what it does on a SSD as the SSD has different structure than the HDD, so don't know about SSD->HDD migration as most people go the other way. You might try Paragon drive copy - http://www.paragon-software.com/products/home/ . It is supposed to allow you to migrate to different drives/structures/hardware components, etc.

And how about OSX, how does OSX handle the SSD change? That matters the most to be honest... as I'm now a nearly-fulltime OSX user...

OS X Handles the SSD change just fine. I went from an HDD to an SSD with a working Hackintosh and performance was quite good (120 GB OCZ Agility 3). I'm very happy with the upgrade. I used Carbon Copy Cloner for the cloning of the HDD.

A couple links that might help:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=49779

viewtopic.php?f=169&t=47473

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back