Mac
  1. Mac mini
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Howdy Folks,

I've been a happy user of OSX on X79 hardware for some time now, all thanks to tonymacx86.com (with parts bought from a buyers guide a couple of years back). While I am really happy with how this beast performs, I've grown tired of it's massive footprint on my desk. I've long coveted the CaseLabs S5 case but sadly my board won't fit in it :(

…But then to my surprise, the June 2014 buyers guide includes the Rampage IV Gene which will fit in the case!

I love the look of the cute little Gene, and I'm seriously considering switching over, selling my M8 case and replacing it with an S5 case. but the costs involved are too high to just proceed without double checking here. I should note, I understand I'll be sacrificing ram and pcie slots on this smaller board - this is not of concern.

So here are my questions:
Is this endeavour foolish? That is, am I sacrificing the "foolproofness" I got with the gigabyte board?
Also, the Rampage IV Gene is quite an old board, should that be a worry?
Are there any gotcha's I should know about before proceeding?

If anyone with some experience could offer some guidance I'd be so grateful!
Thanks!

Howdy Folks,

I've been a happy user of OSX on X79 hardware for some time now, all thanks to tonymacx86.com (with parts bought from a buyers guide a couple of years back). While I am really happy with how this beast performs, I've grown tired of it's massive footprint on my desk. I've long coveted the CaseLabs S5 case but sadly my board won't fit in it :(

…But then to my surprise, the June 2014 buyers guide includes the Rampage IV Gene which will fit in the case!

I love the look of the cute little Gene, and I'm seriously considering switching over, selling my M8 case and replacing it with an S5 case. but the costs involved are too high to just proceed without double checking here. I should note, I understand I'll be sacrificing ram and pcie slots on this smaller board - this is not of concern.

So here are my questions:
Is this endeavour foolish? That is, am I sacrificing the "foolproofness" I got with the gigabyte board?
Also, the Rampage IV Gene is quite an old board, should that be a worry?
Are there any gotcha's I should know about before proceeding?

If anyone with some experience could offer some guidance I'd be so grateful!
Thanks!
Rampage Gene is a good board, but I am not sure the view is worth the climb if the only reason to change is to get a smaller footprint case. This is really what it comes down to - is it worth the cost of the new case/board to make more room on your desk? Or would it be easier to move the tower case to the floor?

Thanks for your reply, Going Bald. I've bitten the bullet and started ordering parts. I know, its a bit of a crazy choice- but I get such joy from my computer. Tinkering, upgrading and playing is a hobby as much as anything else (albeit an expensive hobby!) The decision to change cases isn't just about a smaller desk footprint, Im interested in the unique aesthetics of the new case. This will be my first "pretty" build. With some nice sleeving, lighting and some subtle tonymacx86 inspired case mods. I'll try and do a build log along with it! … Just needed to double check the MB would be okay, so thanks for your confirmation on that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back