Register

Moving and resizing Windows/OS X partitions, multiple HDDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can use gdisk in Linux with following options:
b: Backup GPT first
r h: Create Hybrid MBR manually.
w: Write new partition table to disk

Thanks rehabman for your quick reply. Here are the screen shots.

/dev/sda/
View attachment 72467
/dev/sdb
View attachment 72468
gptsync output
View attachment 72469

What would be the suggestions for formating/partitioning my setup:
First Disk partitions: 1. Mac OS X ; 2. Mac OS X (safety System)
Second Disk partitions: 1. Win7; 2. Transfer (exFat); 3. Ubuntu
Thank you very much.

That is weird. You might do something in gparted that would cause it to re-write the gpt table. For example, remove the swap partition and re-add it. Then exit gparted, reboot into Linux, then try gptsync...

Thanks for your suggestions guys.
gdisk would provide a possible sollution. But since I could not figure out what's the problem with gptsync I decided to give up on the linux partition on my system. This would have been a nice addition but I can live without it.

While changing and reinstalling/repartitioning my system I thought it might be helpful to point out some possible error sources:

BIOS settings:
- you should deactivate the UEFI-feature before you are installing your Windows
- make also sure your destination hard drive (where you want to install Windows) is moved up right to the top of your boot order, otherwhise the Windows installer may not let you to proceed. You can change that back to your preferred boot-order later when you finished your installations.

MBR:
- when you plan to install Windows on one of your disks the GPT (GUID) tables of ALL your system disks have to be synced to MBR with gptsync (or the tool of your choice)
- if you make any changes to your existing partitions later on you will have to resync your MBR again. If you don't do this on a multi disk system your computer will boot up e.g. with the windows disk and not as desired with the chimera boot loader on your disk where your OS X is installed.

When you keep that in mind, changing your OS X partitions is not a big deal. Just clone your working OS X partitions, repartition, clone back, sync your MBR, install chimera and set your options, and your good to go.
If your running your multi boot from a single disk you will have to regard some further aspects.

Personally I find it very handy and a big time saver to have a second small OS X installation on my disk, so I can always boot from that partition for any maintenance task or doing modifications on that installation without having the fear of corrupting my working OS.
For cloning I highly recommend CarbonCopyCloner from Bombich Software.
That's just my two cents.

Cheers.

That is weird. You might do something in gparted that would cause it to re-write the gpt table. For example, remove the swap partition and re-add it. Then exit gparted, reboot into Linux, then try gptsync...

I've the same issue :D

Don't know what it causes.
Set up a Quad-Boot last year with rehabmans tutorial (OSX 10.8/Win7/Win8/Ubuntu12.10) and everything was fine.

Now i wanted to reinstall everything on the same hardwear with (OSX 10.9/Win7/Win8/Ubuntu13.10) and i got the gpt-sync issue.

If i format the linux-partition in ntfs the mbr will be updated, ext4 and ext3 will cause the mbr beeing untouched.
i will try a little bit, maybe an other version of gptsync since 12.10...

Edit:
I had to set up my system a couple of times now because ubuntu seems to destroy the windows boot loader during install, i didn't find the cause for this, it's no fun to install 4 OS several times...

I could not get the cause of the error with gptsync. Its the same on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and sometimes it happens sometimes not...
You just have to partition again and it works...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back