Contribute
Register

Moved from GTX 660 to GTX 970. Not booting. Running 10.10.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asrock Z270 Extreme 4
CPU
i5 7600K w/Noctua NH-U14S Cooler
Graphics
ASUS GTX 970 Strix (1468/7830)
I moved to a new graphics card (GTX 970) and I cannot boot into OS X anymore. Is there a particular procedure for changing video cards? Any recommendations on particular boot flags which will help me get in?

Thanks!

Try GraphicsEnabler=No, npci=0x3000, nvda_drv=1, or nvda_disable=1. This also might depend on your bootloader. Also try searching around this website for others that have a similar problem.

Does nobody do any research anymore ? There's literally hundred of posts on the 970!

It doesn't work out of the box but doesn't take much to get it working.

You need to boot with nv_disable=1 then install the nvidia web drivers.

See: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...ate-graphics-drivers-10-10-2-343-02-02-a.html

Edit: sorry your running 10.10.1 so you will need to find the nvidia drivers for that, or just upgrade to 10.10.2

I did a fair amount of research before posting here. I have tried nv_disable=1 and the other flags that dobo mentioned with no luck. I have also ran dart=0. I don't know if this matters but I was not running with nvidia drivers while on my gtx 660. When I go to video info at beginning of boot it says "VESA v3.0 16MB (NVIDIA)". Thanks for any help.

I did a fair amount of research before posting here. I have tried nv_disable=1 and the other flags that dobo mentioned with no luck. I have also ran dart=0. I don't know if this matters but I was not running with nvidia drivers while on my gtx 660. When I go to video info at beginning of boot it says "VESA v3.0 16MB (NVIDIA)". Thanks for any help.

"no luck" is not useful for diagnosis of the problem.

Boot with -v and whatever other boot flags you are using, post a picture of the screen when it stops.

Here is screen when it stops:

Attachments

• DSC_6323.jpg
    DSC_6323.jpg
    670.3 KB · Views: 103
You have to install the drivers with any Maxwell card.

I have a similar issue, going from EVGA GTX 650 2 GB to a Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 960, and have the same issue. I've read that the profile has to be a MacPro for the newer cads, so I switched it to that. However, I always have to use the nv_disable=1 and -x flags to get in, and when I do I have minimal graphics and a card showing only 7 MB of memory.

You do not have to use a Mac Pro profile but you do have to have the drivers installed. By using -x you are disabling the drivers if you do have them installed which is why you then also need the nv_disable flag. Install the drivers and then use nvda_drv=1 to use those drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back