Contribute
Register

Moved Asus USB3.1 PCIE from 2.0 X4 to 3.0 X16, "Couldn't allocate runtime area" at boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ProART Z490-Creator 10G
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello again. Here is my PCIE config for my Asus Z97-WS:

Last working config:
PCIEX16_1 - MSI GTX970 4G
PCIEX1_1 - *EMPTY*
PCIEX16_2 - *EMPTY*
PCIEX4_1 - ASUS USB 3.1 TYPE A
PCIEX16_3 - ASUS THUNDERBOLT II/DUAL
PCIEX1_2 - WIFI
PCIEX16_4 - MOTU PCIE-424 (Audio interface)

Everything was working great but I noticed something in the manual stating the when the 4X slot is enabled one of the USB3 headers and the SATAexpress_E1 would be disabled. Since I had a free slot in PCIEX16_2 I figured I could disable the 4X slot and get some extra ports.

Changes that broke boot.
PCIEX16_1 - MSI GTX970 4G
PCIEX1_1 - *EMPTY*
PCIEX16_2 - ASUS USB 3.1 TYPE A
PCIEX4_1 - EMPTY
PCIEX16_3 - ASUS THUNDERBOLT II/DUAL
PCIEX1_2 - WIFI
PCIEX16_4 - MOTU PCIE-424 (Audio interface)

After swapping ports the system would post but refuse to boot into clover with this error:

OsxAptioFixDrv: Starting overrides for .IABootFiles\boot.efi
Using reloc block: no, hibernate wake: no
efiboot loaded from device: XXXXX
boot file path: .IABootFiles\boot.efi
…………….
root device uuid is ‘X’
Error allocating 0x122c0 pages at 0x000000000169fa000 alloc type 2
Couldn’t allocate runtime area
Boot failed, sleeping for 10 seconds

What I’ve tried so far:

Nothing would make this thing pass the error after it first happened. Removed everything but my GTX and it was still giving the same error for SSD and USB boot. Very odd. At that point i tried to clear the CMOS, no change. went back to original config of having the USB3.1 card in the 4X slot and surprise surprise it boots fine.

So from here I could just keep the config and it will, work but I really want to get the card working in the x16 slot to free up the other USB3 and SATA. Also the time it takes to post BIOS is about 20 seconds longer when I have anything in x4 slot :(

Later I tried changing AptioFix2 to AptioFix or AptioLowMem - no change.
Changing Vbox for HFSplus - no change
Clear CMOS - no change

windows still works 100% fine in any of these configurations. Any ideas?

I reckon it might be because of OS X not being used to having PCIe slots being moved (just TRY doing that on a real Mac hehehe) Or perhaps a bad driver. That would be my only guess, apart from trying a different boot loader (Try Good Ol' Chameleon and see what happens). Other than that, I've no idea. Just tell me how many lanes that USB 3.1 card of your's takes up and I'll see if I can think of any other configurations.

- Matt

Thanks. Yes I immediately tried wiping my SSD, making a fresh USB clover stick for a fresh install and I would get that error.
Another weird thing to add.. *sometimes* if i boot without cache it will give me one boot then return to the same error.

Literally the only way my build will boot into any iteration of clover is if the USB 3.1 card is in PCIEX4_1 :/ despite it working fine until i moved the card.

The card is x4 according to the manual. Only thing in the USB 3.1 manual is "For optimal performance, please ensure to operate PCIe card at Gen2 x2 mode, Gen3 x1 mode or higher." https://www.asus.com/Motherboard-Accessories/USB_31_TYPEA_CARD/specifications/

Weird that even if i completely remove the card i get the same error until it goes back into the x4 slot. whereas it used to boot fine with no card.

Just muck about with the config, i.e. switch your Sound Card with your x16,2 and put the USB 3.1 in x16,4. It is interesting that ignoring the cache lets you boot. Also try rebuilding the cache and repairing permissions.

I've tried several different configurations and wanted to post a quick update while I carry on testing.

Taking out the thunderbolt card means it will boot with any card in any slot. I can even disable x4 slot and boot. Also taking everything out but the thunderbolt works too.

So all i can tell at the moment is that if I have too much stuff in my PCIE slots it fails to allocate memory, but works fine in windows.

Making progress but I'd like to avoid removing any of my PCIE stuff and have this working.

On another forum someone has made a custom AptioFix that allows 8G instead of 4G at boot so i will try that too.

Ok. My ThunderboltEX seems to have an issue and won't be recognised by BIOS in any slots anymore :/ considering how well everything works without it in i'm going to RMA it and see what asus say. Will update when i can.

another day another rma

replaced the thunderbolt card and the problem has gone :) problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back