CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Hey guys!

I've been on the Skylake train for a while now and ever since I have installed it I have been experiencing stuttering with my mouse. It is not present under Windows and the mouse does not stutter on a different computer. It's pretty random and I keep thinking there is something wrong with the USB injector that I am using for the following reasons:

1. The mouse will not work if inserted into a USB 3.0 port.
2. The mouse gets recognized as a USB 3.0 device when inserted into a USB 2.0 port.
3. The mouse stutters in both the motherboard port and the front USB port.
4. The mouse stutters when using a USB extension cable from both the Motherboard rear port and from the front USB port.

Please give me an idea! I will not be a victim of a wired mouse!

It does sound like your USB settings aren't quite right.

Though regarding #2: note that on a Skylake board, all USB devices may appear under "USB 3.0 Bus"; that doesn't mean they're recognized as USB3. If you click on your mouse under there, it should show Speed of e.g. "Up to 12 Mb/sec" (versus 5 Gb/sec for a USB3 device).

Anyway, you can try temporarily using USBInjectAll and the raise port limit to 30 patch (without any injector or SSDT), and see if that helps. Both those are described at the beginning of the USB section in the http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-guides/179221-skylake-starter-guide.html

It does sound like your USB settings aren't quite right.

Though regarding #2: note that on a Skylake board, all USB devices may appear under "USB 3.0 Bus"; that doesn't mean they're recognized as USB3. If you click on your mouse under there, it should show Speed of e.g. "Up to 12 Mb/sec" (versus 5 Gb/sec for a USB3 device).

Anyway, you can try temporarily using USBInjectAll and the raise port limit to 30 patch (without any injector or SSDT), and see if that helps. Both those are described at the beginning of the USB section in the http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-guides/179221-skylake-starter-guide.html

Both my keyboard (Wired USB keyboard) and mouse are reported as
Speed: Up to 1.5 Mb/sec

Is that USB 1.1?
I am using the USBInjectAll AND the 30 port patch from the skylake testing thread.
AND as I said - the stuttering comes and goes at random. It's been less since I am using the USB extension cable but it's still there sometimes. Anyway - 1.5 Mb/sec ... what's going on there? I am fairly new to OSX troubleshooting...

I have a keyboard at 1.5 Mb/sec, a mouse at 12 Mb/sec, USB2 drives at 480 Mb/sec, and USB3 drives at 5 Gb/sec. So they're all valid speeds. You can try a different mouse and see if it connects as 12 Mb/sec, in case that should account for the stuttering.

However, if you're using USBInjectAll and the port limit patch without any additional USB stuff, I'm confused at your problem #1.

What did you mean when you were talking about an "injector"?

And what SMBIOS system definition are you using?

Finally, I wouldn't expect your red USB port or Type C USB port to work without an additional driver, but the rest of your ports should work.

I have a keyboard at 1.5 Mb/sec, a mouse at 12 Mb/sec, USB2 drives at 480 Mb/sec, and USB3 drives at 5 Gb/sec. So they're all valid speeds. You can try a different mouse and see if it connects as 12 Mb/sec, in case that should account for the stuttering.

However, if you're using USBInjectAll and the port limit patch without any additional USB stuff, I'm confused at your problem #1.

A USB flash drives gets recognized properly @ 480 MB/sec in the USB 2.0 port.
The same drive gets recognized properly @ 5 Gbps in the 3.0 port. - valid speeds.
A different mouse gets recognized as 12 MB / sec.

ammulder said:
What did you mean when you were talking about an "injector"?
I meant a USBInjectAll.kext

UPDATE:
After updating my system to 11.11.3 my mouse gets recognized in the USB 3.0 port. Still at the weird speed of Up to 1.5 Mb/sec. Will report back if it stutters. My USBInjectAll.kext dates back to 09 December 2015. Is there a newer one I can try just in case?

ammulder said:
Finally, I wouldn't expect your red USB port or Type C USB port to work without an additional driver, but the rest of your ports should work.

I don't use them two ports. The red port does have power to it, the USB-C port I cannot test at this time.

ammulder said:
I am using iMac17,1 SMBIOS - the default one from the CLOVER install that UniBeast provides.

Hey guys!

I've been on the Skylake train for a while now and ever since I have installed it I have been experiencing stuttering with my mouse. It is not present under Windows and the mouse does not stutter on a different computer. It's pretty random and I keep thinking there is something wrong with the USB injector that I am using for the following reasons:

1. The mouse will not work if inserted into a USB 3.0 port.
2. The mouse gets recognized as a USB 3.0 device when inserted into a USB 2.0 port.
3. The mouse stutters in both the motherboard port and the front USB port.
4. The mouse stutters when using a USB extension cable from both the Motherboard rear port and from the front USB port.

Please give me an idea! I will not be a victim of a wired mouse!
I experienced the same (plus 'stuttering' video) on a recent yosemite install on an X99 mobo. After much troubleshooting it was a simple fix in that in the clover bootleg I had nv_disable=1. Once I replaced with nvda_drv=1 all was well with the mouse (any mouse).
This may not be applicable to your system but maybe of some help to you or others searching for stuttering mice...as I did!

Except littlegreen has a Radeon card, so Nvidia parameters won't help him much. :)

It is a fair point that unaccelerated graphics may result in mouse stuttering, so if you have slow rendering and graphical artifacts too, you should probably look into resolving that.

Graphics are flying so I wouldn't say that is the problem.

I am now happy to report that since I did the 10.11.3 update AND switched the mouse to a USB 3.0 port I haven't experienced any stuttering for well over 24 hours... hopefully it's gone :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back