Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion does not boot after install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-H61M-S2-B3-F3
CPU
i3
Graphics
GT520
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
GA-H61M-S2-B3 ML does not boot after install.

GA-H61M-S2-B3 F3
Galaxy Nvidia GT520

History

Installed SL w/ iboot no issues
Used MB to install the bootloader W/ correct DSDT
Installed Lion using xMove and exiting bootloader
Install was flawless no issues
Setup another partition and used xMove ML 1.5.1
The installer did not want to boot was hanging at IOProviderClass/IOResource
Used arg PCIRootUID=0 and was able to boot installer (did not have to do this with Lion Install)
Mountain Lion Installed
Now it wont boot
Last 2 lines of Verbose
[ PCI configuration end, bridges 5 devices 11 ]
Still waiting for root device

Had a screen shot, would not let me attach it from my ipad.

I have tried alot of combination of boot arguments i found in this forum.
(correction found I am able to boot in safemode -x) so if there are any changes I need to make or download I can.

What am I missing?

Update:

Additional Troubleshooting

Upgrade bios to F5 (hopefully it will remain compatible with the F3 DSDT, F5 was not in the DSDT database)
since I have only been in the hack game for about 2 week I am not yet an expert of the function of a DSDT.

Upgraded Chimera to latest version available on this site.

When I installed MutliBeast with SL and Lion, I was very conservative when installing any of the kexts because didn't want to break anything. So I located and removed any kexts that were not labeled as a patch that were added by MultiBeast besides FakeSMC.

My assumption would be a bad or incompatible kext is causing the issue. When I turned off the Kernel Cache the behavior has changed, when not in verbose instead of getting the "no sign", I get the the "Restart Message."

This hunt and peck method of trouble shooting is really testing my patience.
Is there kernel log I can view to see exactly where the fallout is?
The only log I have been able to find only displays information logged after a successful boot.

Thank you for your anticipated response. :)

Update:

Additional Troubleshooting

Upgrade bios to F5 (hopefully it will remain compatible with the F3 DSDT, F5 was not in the DSDT database)
since I have only been in the hack game for about 2 week I am not yet an expert of the function of a DSDT.

Upgraded Chimera to latest version available on this site.

When I installed MutliBeast with SL and Lion, I was very conservative when installing any of the kexts because didn't want to break anything. So I located and removed any kexts that were not labeled as a patch that were added by MultiBeast besides FakeSMC.

My assumption would be a bad or incompatible kext is causing the issue. When I turned off the Kernel Cache the behavior has changed, when not in verbose instead of getting the "no sign", I get the the "Restart Message."

This hunt and peck method of trouble shooting is really testing my patience.
Is there kernel log I can view to see exactly where the fallout is?
The only log I have been able to find only displays information logged after a successful boot.

Thank you for your anticipated response. :)

In general, no, DSDTs are not compatible across different BIOS revisions. They're pretty specific and low-level, and thus a DSDT written for the F3 BIOS rev will likely only cause problems with the F5 BIOS.

Due to issues I had with performing upgrade installs, I would highly recommend using Carbon Copy Cloner or a similar tool to perform a full backup of your drive, boot from the UniBeast-prepared 10.8 USB drive, and completely wipe your drive using Disk Utility within the installer. Re-partition it, don't just erase the existing partition, to ensure you kill the existing bootloader as well. The fact that you are able to boot in to safe mode means it is likely a kext conflict of some sort, but you could spend days trying to track that down, when a wipe/install/restore of user data will take far, far less time.

In general, no, DSDTs are not compatible across different BIOS revisions. They're pretty specific and low-level, and thus a DSDT written for the F3 BIOS rev will likely only cause problems with the F5 BIOS.

Due to issues I had with performing upgrade installs, I would highly recommend using Carbon Copy Cloner or a similar tool to perform a full backup of your drive, boot from the UniBeast-prepared 10.8 USB drive, and completely wipe your drive using Disk Utility within the installer. Re-partition it, don't just erase the existing partition, to ensure you kill the existing bootloader as well. The fact that you are able to boot in to safe mode means it is likely a kext conflict of some sort, but you could spend days trying to track that down, when a wipe/install/restore of user data will take far, far less time.

Thanks for the reply,

I will restore F3 version, didn't have any issues with it before ML. I will locate and download Carbon Copy. I will split the partition into 2 and backup to second partition. Delete the first partition and remake it. If this does not clear the boot loader I guess I will have to find another drive to backup to.

I will keep you informed of how it turns out.

Thanks for the reply,

I will restore F3 version, didn't have any issues with it before ML. I will locate and download Carbon Copy. I will split the partition into 2 and backup to second partition. Delete the first partition and remake it. If this does not clear the boot loader I guess I will have to find another drive to backup to.

I will keep you informed of how it turns out.

had the same error, and im not sure exactly what fixed it but this is what i did. i had to erase my previous installation of Lion (in your case, erase your partition of SL) and do a clean install of ML. i unplugged any other hard drives except for the one i wanted to install on, and i booted into the installer using -x for safemode. worked for me... im assuming you've tried all that but figure i'd throw my 2 cents in.

Update: (Not yet resolved)
<insert emoticon of banging head again the wall here>

Well I have took the suggestion of a reinstall, I could not get the installer to boot without the xmove - multibeast method in safe mode. I tried UniBeast on 2 different USB drives just got the boot1: error and from what I gather I am just unlucky as it works with some USB disks and not others according to the forum.

So I essentially had reinstalled SL and followed the same path I was down before. I have Mountain lion which only boots in safe mode. (this time I did not install any additional kexts beside the one for my network adapter, since it was inserted into the IONetworkFamily kext, it was overwritten during the upgrade with the ML version of the kext.)

So the latest thing I noticed, when I just boot it with -v it will stop at random points, the then freezes with "Still waiting for root device". Now it is my understanding the root device is the disk/partition that holds the installation/kernel. So if it is waiting the disk then it would lead me to believe the kext/driver its trying to use for my Disk Controller is Broke or Incompatible and it does not use the same one in safe mode. Or another option would be a PCI/Interrupt issue.

Any suggested workarounds for the issue would be great.

Additional Data
-------------------------
Points at which it will freeze

[ PCI configuration end, bridges 5 devices 10 ]

or

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResources</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid=media</string></dict>

Mountain Lion does not boot after install. [Resolved w/ Limited Function]

I managed to find a solution.

I changed the bootloader to Chameleon build 2039 (not sure if this part really mattered)

I managed to get my first boot after I installed kexts for my GT 520 that I found on osx86. Not sure what made it special maybe just having my device id injected.

Current issues now are, ever boot requires that I ignore the kernel cache with -f, I have ran kext utility to rebuild my cache but does not seem to help.

I cannot authenticate in any apple applications. App Store, iCloud, Messing, ect. (iTunes does work)
I have tried many many workarounds including.
modifying the smbois.plist with Chameleon wizard and generated a serial number

<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>04/22/11</string>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>IM121.88Z.0047.B0A.1104221555</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-942B5BF58194151B</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>iMac</string>
<key>SMmanufacturer</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter</key>
<string>PDP Systems</string>
<key>SMmempart_1</key>
<string>0x31333333454c536572696573</string>
<key>SMmemserial_1</key>
<string>0x00000001</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>1333</string>
<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>24</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>iMac12,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>imagine SN here</string> //yes I blocked out the SN for the sake of the public post
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>

Made sure the boot.plist included the EthernetBuiltIn is set to yes

deleted caches from iTunes

deleted Library/Preference/SystemConfiguration directory
rebooted
re-setup ethernet

I never connected an iDevice so its not an issue with the conflicting cert. for iphone push server.

Last issue which I have not researched yet
sleep issues, does not really sleep and when it does it does not wake.
I thought it was the DSDT that was suppose to resolve this issue, but I well have to look more into that later.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I thought an update was warranted. Any thoughts on these issues are always appreciated.

Ok managed to get sleep to work, download a patched version AppleRTC.kext for Mountain Lion after attempting the patch myself. The patch I did myself caused some strange behavior, bluetooth did not work and menu did not show up on the top on boot. But the downloaded version seams to be working strong.

Only issue left is the issue with being unable to authenticate with apple application. I created a new thread for that issue as it is a beast of its own.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back