Contribute
Register

Mountain Lion and radeon hd 5770 (Problem with flickering/blinking/flashing) screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Windows 7
CPU
Intel core i7
Graphics
AMD Radeon HD6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all, I've mounted a hackintosh with this motherboard/graphic card specs:

Gigabyte ga-p55a-ud3p

Radeon hd 5770

I've got all running without problems except of the graphics card in which I have a weird error.

The screen flickers/blinks/flashes (don't know how to name it because I'm not a native english speaker :p) about every 5 secs.
It isn't all the screen that flickers, only the bottom part of the screen but is very annoying and also I can't work with it, so I think it's related to a graphic card kext but I don't know how to solve it or which kext should I use.

Could someone help me?

Thanks in advance

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'm using the DVI port with a DVI-I cable to my Benq Monitor

Try unplugging/re-plugging the DVI cable with the system still running. On my system, the flashing stops. If this works for you, then the problem is that your card is not 100% compatible with the Unakari framebuffer description in ATI5000controller.kext.

If this works, your options are to use a different port (my board and monitor have a Display Port connection, which works fine, so I use that); edit the Unakari frame buffer description in ATI5000controller.kext (it's in HEX, quite advanced), or get a different video card.

The unplug/replug only has to be done after powering on the system. Waking from sleep, it is not necessary (on my system).

HTH

Hi. I have a shappire 5770 radeon and it works perfect in Lion and ML.

have a look to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. Mine have the following flags:

Aticonfig=Vervet
GraphicsEnabler=Yes

I have too a BIOS dump from macpro original Radeon 5770. This bios was working for me in Lion, but my system dont boot with it in Mountain Lion, so I don't use it anymore. Try his Bios Dump unzipping it and put on /Extra Folder. Use the following flag in org.chameleon.Boot.plist :

UseAtiROM=yes

I'm not sure if this dump has any benefit...Cinebench give me same result with or without it on Lion.

I have similar problem. It also shows up when playing video on iTunes.
My graphics card is ATI Radeon 5850. Posted here (http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/6...lickering.html) - nobody bothered to respond.

Didn't read your thread before, now I understand that you're running 5850M in a laptop.

Others have tried, without success, on 5850M to use the various ATI framebuffer descriptions in ATI5000Controller.kext. Probably will have to go the time and trouble of modifying and testing one to achieve 100% compatibility. I went through this process of Hex edits for my DVI ports on my board, only to find that DisplayPort worked fine, so I gave up and just went with that. Since mine is a desktop, I can just get a better (more compatible) card as my next upgrade.

I've learned a lot from this forum, chiefly that there is are different levels of OSX compatibility, and it's not just about achieving it, but maintaining it over time.

Cause identified/Solved - Mountain Lion and radeon hd 5770 (Problem with flickering/blinking/flashing) screen

I had exactly the same flickering problem (ASUS P7P55D + i5 [email protected] GHz + ATI 5000 series "Juniper" card). I tried with ATI HD 5770 and 5750. Both of these have device id 0x68BE which I entered into AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext and ATI5000Controller.kext, so my GPU is now properly identified by OS. Both are flickering with higher resolutions more or less. After googling a couple of weeks for a solution nothing suggested helped.

The problems turned out to be a compatibility issue with BenQ G2400W monitor (native resolution 1920x1200) and ATI 5000 series cards. I tested the ATI 5000 cards with my Iiyama PL2206W monitor (native res 1680x1050) and there is no flicker!

I'm certain that it's this combination that does not work. The BenQ works just fine with Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti and GT 210.

Hi. I have a shappire 5770 radeon and it works perfect in Lion and ML.

have a look to your org.chameleon.Boot.plist file. Mine have the following flags:

Aticonfig=Vervet
GraphicsEnabler=Yes

I have too a BIOS dump from macpro original Radeon 5770. This bios was working for me in Lion, but my system dont boot with it in Mountain Lion, so I don't use it anymore. Try his Bios Dump unzipping it and put on /Extra Folder. Use the following flag in org.chameleon.Boot.plist :

UseAtiROM=yes

I'm not sure if this dump has any benefit...Cinebench give me same result with or without it on Lion.
Add to my first comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back