MSI H61M P31
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
GTX 660
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hello all.

I installed Mountain Lion on Dell XPS 13.3 ultra book using TonyMac tools, almost instant success but had to finish installing slightly different than prescribed in the guide. I got everything working, sound, screen resolution and what ever, but not sleep and Wifi, but bluetooth worked.

This ultra book has a mSata SSD PM830 Samsung hard drive, when installing the boot loader the installation software seemed to install with success, but when booting up the Bios could never find any operating system on the hard drive and the only way to boot this nice little thing was via USB key. I tried all boot loaders that I could find except iBoot.

Does anyone have a clue what I was doing wrong or is the hardware not compatible for OSX? If the ultra book would have booted form the hard drive this would have been a nice hack ultra, but not with the multi finger gestures on the trackpad.

Best Regards
Ural

Hello all.

I installed Mountain Lion on Dell XPS 13.3 ultra book using TonyMac tools, almost instant success but had to finish installing slightly different than prescribed in the guide. I got everything working, sound, screen resolution and what ever, but not sleep and Wifi, but bluetooth worked.

This ultra book has a mSata SSD PM830 Samsung hard drive, when installing the boot loader the installation software seemed to install with success, but when booting up the Bios could never find any operating system on the hard drive and the only way to boot this nice little thing was via USB key. I tried all boot loaders that I could find except iBoot.

Does anyone have a clue what I was doing wrong or is the hardware not compatible for OSX? If the ultra book would have booted form the hard drive this would have been a nice hack ultra, but not with the multi finger gestures on the trackpad.

Best Regards
Ural

Some BIOSes will not boot legacy to a GPT drive. You might try creating a single "MS-DOS" (FAT32) partition on the drive, such that you have an MBR/GPT hybrid. Otherwise go pure MBR or use a UEFI bootloader (Clover).

Thanks for the advice, I think I tried several Clovers but with out success. I think there was a "MBR" (well I think it was a FAT) partition on the hard disk but BIOS never found any boot loader to operate. This was my friends laptop and he needed it in working order again soon so I did not have time to work more on it and we installed windows:evil: back on the hard drive.

Best Regards
Ural

Hi, I have seen this on my Dell, did you get this message "Operation System Not Found"....not a typo its "Operation" not "Operating". If so then Rehabman is right and you need to do it his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back