ASUS GTX 580 1,5GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey, I'm new to this forum and would love to share a machine I've been planning.

Like most of you, I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a mac pro, and then after that spend more thousands to upgrade to what I want / need. So, my plan is to build something that will last a while and be one hell of a beast compared to my macbook pro (and just cost a couple thousand:) I was employed at a production company were they provided me with a great mac pro, but now when I've gone freelance I wish to have com that can meet my expectations. Now days I either have to rent macpros or survive on my recent macbook pro. :rolleyes: Maybe I should add that I primarily work with After Effects and Cinema 4d.

Please keep in mind that this is my first build of a hackintosh and that any advice, feedback or face palms are greatly appreciated.

Case: Antec Performance One P280
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4
Intel Core i7 3770K 3,5Ghz
Corsair 32GB CL11 1600Mhz XMS3
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 for Mac
be quiet! Straight Power E9 400W 80+ Gold
Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB
OCZ SSD Agility 3 180GB

Later on I'm also thinking of adding firewire and a Blackmagic Decklink Studio card.

What do you think? Is this possible?

vbz said:
Hey, I'm new to this forum and would love to share a machine I've been planning.

Like most of you, I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a mac pro, and then after that spend more thousands to upgrade to what I want / need. So, my plan is to build something that will last a while and be one hell of a beast compared to my macbook pro (and just cost a couple thousand:) I was employed at a production company were they provided me with a great mac pro, but now when I've gone freelance I wish to have com that can meet my expectations. Now days I either have to rent macpros or survive on my recent macbook pro. :rolleyes: Maybe I should add that I primarily work with After Effects and Cinema 4d.

Please keep in mind that this is my first build of a hackintosh and that any advice, feedback or face palms are greatly appreciated.

OCZ SSD Agility 3 180GB

Later on I'm also thinking of adding firewire and a Blackmagic Decklink Studio card.

Couple of comments...First off, that will all work ok together but the ivy bridge chip isn't fully supported yet so you'll have to use bridgehelper. See the blog for details. Second, if you're getting an ivy bridge cpu why not go ahead and get a Z77 based motherboard? Conversely, if you want something that is fully supported right now, go with a sandy bridge cpu and Z68 motherboard. There isn't much of a performance difference between sandy and ivy...since sandy overclocks better you can negate the difference anyway. Finally, do a search in the forums regarding the quadro 4000 as I believe you want the standard version not the mac. Refer to this post for details:

http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?p=365482#p365482

wfj said:
vbz said:

OCZ SSD Agility 3 180GB

Couple of comments...First off, that will all work ok together but the ivy bridge chip isn't fully supported yet so you'll have to use bridgehelper. See the blog for details. Second, if you're getting an ivy bridge cpu why not go ahead and get a Z77 based motherboard? Conversely, if you want something that is fully supported right now, go with a sandy bridge cpu and Z68 motherboard. There isn't much of a performance difference between sandy and ivy...since sandy overclocks better you can negate the difference anyway. Finally, do a search in the forums regarding the quadro 4000 as I believe you want the standard version not the mac. Refer to this post for details:

http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?p=365482#p365482
Seriously, get at least 6 cores, (3930k, LGA2011) It will shave a considerable amount of time off both physics and rendering in C4d, and Ae. It's what I just did and wished I had gone with 16 cores now.

Chris

wfj: Thanks for your reply, I'll defiantly have a look whats up with the quadro 4000, thanks for the heads up. When it comes to the processor I really want the best there is and need lots of cores for rendering in c4d and ae.

emergent: Good point, how do I get 16 cores, is this possible for a hackintosh? :headbang:

vbz said:
wfj: Thanks for your reply, I'll defiantly have a look whats up with the quadro 4000, thanks for the heads up. When it comes to the processor I really want the best there is and need lots of cores for rendering in c4d and ae.

emergent: Good point, how do I get 16 cores, is this possible for a hackintosh? :headbang:

He is talking about a dual Xeon build (2 x 8 core cpu's). Like this:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=58157

For something in-between, look here:

viewtopic.php?f=264&t=57962

wfj: That was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

vbz said:
wfj: That was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!
Yes, if you have the $$, certainly go for it, you won't regret the extra edge it will give you, and so time saving under deadlines, that is for sure!

well, because this will be my first hackintosh, do you think im going in over my head, further reading showed that some of the parts in those builds are "officially supported" my tonymac.

vbz said:
well, because this will be my first hackintosh, do you think im going in over my head, further reading showed that some of the parts in those builds are "officially supported" my tonymac.

That was my trepidation, and since there is no speed stepping, it may be over your head to build a dual xeon - E. If you feel it is, do what I did and get a 6 core 3930. Or you can buy mine and I'll get a dual 2970! hehe.

Chris.

Ok, so now I've updated my gear and I'm close to click the buy button, just wanted to double check the you guys first!

Antec P280 Tower No PSU Black ATX
Asus P9X79 Pro Intel X79 8xDDR3 Socket 2011 ATX
CPU-Socket-2011 Intel Core i7 3930K 3,2GHz Socket 2011 Box
Corsair Vengeance Quad DDR3 32GB Kit, 1600MHz, 4x8GB
ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 - ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II graphics cards
Corsair TX 850W V2 /80+ Bronze
Corsair Cooling Hydro H100 CPU-kylare multiplatform
Samsung 830 Series Desktop 128GB SSD R:520/W:320 2.5" SATA-3
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB RE-4 7200rpm 64MB SATA-2
SONY DVD Recorder 24x SATA RAM Internal Black Bulk

After some research here on the forum I've seen people with simular builds, what do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back