Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I was looking at building a clean Mac computer, what is a better MB to use, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5 WB or the Asus P8Z77-V? I know both have the built in WIFI and BT, which is currently not compatible with ML. I have a BT dongle and USB WIFI dongle.

As well, are both MB compatible with the Gigabyte GTX 650 VC? Is there any issues with reliability or Stability or anything I should know before or do during the ML install? Thanks

As for motherboards, I know Gigabyte fairly well and you should be fine with that board. Both the intel ethernet and audio are fine with kexts form multibeast. Not sure about the Atheros ethernet, but 2 is pretty much overkill for most everyone anyway. As for the GPU, I bought that same one and have had to do nothing other than add GraphicsEnabler=No to my boot.plist. Everything else works. Dual monitor setup.

I personally prefer Gigabyte as with that board you won't need a DSDT. Not sure about the Asus one, someone else with more experience might know better.

Do I need to use MultiBeast or I am able to build the system, install ML and have it run perfectly fine? I want the same reliability as if I purchased an iMac, use it and not worry about it. How do I choose the right configurations for each component using MultiBeast? As well, do I have to use MultiBeast each time the OSX updates or I install a new OSX?

You will need multibeast to install the chameleon bootloader, as well as the kexts for your specific audio/networking/etc hardware. There isn't a time that you will be able to just install OSX from a USB drive and be good to go. And you will need to know what hardware you have and install it yourself through multibeast. It won't figure that out for you.

As well, even after you get everything up and running, there will still be issues that you will have to work through. Incompatibilities, bugs, drivers, etc. Part of the fun of a hackintosh (at least for me) is figuring all of those things out.

If you want a truly easy to set up and maintain system, buy a mac. Some guys have built some amazingly stable and complete systems, but that took time. The reliability of a hackintosh is up to you.

Gigabyte boards have been the easiest and most compatible since the earliest hackintoshes back in the day of OSX Tiger. The new UEFI boards are practically without any challenges other than the obligatory FakeSMC, modified AppleHDA , Realtek/Atheros LAN solutions. To get those working takes 1/50th of the time Windows takes to install motherboard drivers. If you have those kexts in one folder after the standard install, just drag all 3 and drop onto Kext Utility and they install in seconds, install Chameleon/Chimera, choose the right SMBIOS , configure your boot.plist reboot and you are up and running!

I was thinking of trying to save some money and not purchase a Video Card. Does anyone have any success with just using the onboard intel HD4000 graphics chip or am I asking for problems? This would be with the Gigabyte GA Z77X UD5H MB and a Samsung 830 SSD. Thanks.

I followed Tonymac's hardware guide. I used the top of the line Gigabyte board, an I7 3770K, 16 gb of memory, and a 560ti video card. The other thing I decided to try to alieviate the boot from USB issue is to put ML on a 120 gb SSD drive. I was guessing that maybe the block size issue would not be a factor.
Guess what, the rig worked perfect. With the GA MB no DSDT is necessary. Just follow the guide and away you go. The best part is booting from the SSD drive has resolved the USB boot issue!!! The systems boots in less than 10 seconds and the performance is incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back