Contribute
Register

Motherboard Tray Alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
motherboard OR system make & model # > See Rules!
CPU
i5-3500
Graphics
GTX 660
Hi Guys ,

Just successfully bought a G5 for 50 bucks and want to mod it to fit a ATX hackintosh build inside it.

I was going to go the Mountain mods motherboard route but got a quote of nearly 100 dollars to have it shipped to me here in aus !!

Wondering what other options I have for mounting the motherboard so I can access the ports from the back easily.

Im not too fussed about making it 100% professional seeing as its my first run at it , Just want it to be practical and not look like I have hacked holes in the back to plug my cords in haha

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

The Laser Hive also makes a tray, but it's on the higher price side. Just an alternative to the MM Tray.

The Laser Hive also makes a tray, but it's on the higher price side. Just an alternative to the MM Tray.

It is possible though to buy just the tray part (for fixing to the standoffs in the G5) or the backplate part separately - depending on whether you are wanting to re-use the G5 stand offs (in which case you might want just the backplate kit) or if you are doing a "no-cut" mod (in which case you might want just the tray part).

Thanks for the replies guys, I think im limited by my location though.
All these guys will probably charge a bit to get it here to australia.

I think im gonna have a crack at re using the motherboard and pci brackets from an old pc case I have at home. If that doesnt work Ill buy a sheet of Aluminum and mount the MOBO to that

Like you said there's always the option of using an old computer case. If you have a council tip/dump nearby (not sure how it works for you guys down under) then you'll probably have a few to choose from...hopefully free or just a few $. :)

I'm researching the very same thing (motherboard mounting) for my planned G5 mod, at the moment I'm having a tough time deciding whether to even go the modded backplate route or something a little crazier like extended IO cables to the stock G5 and PCI ports.

I currently have a donated coolermaster case with removable motherboard tray to test a few ideas out but the backplate is proving a little over-engineered for my liking, will probably go and have a nice chat with the skip-man this weekend... :)

I have a couple of old cases I could recycle if needed ...

@ersterhernd From those picture the rear I/O doesnt look like it lines up very well.
Am I Right ?

Actually the i/o lines up very well. I don't put the rear i/o cover on, but that was a personal choice. Sometimes I run USB cables thru the back for added connectivity on the inside, thats why. As shown the PCI slots are perfect, thats whats most important anyway.

The photo I used in that post had the I/O from the original G5 still in place, that I never intended to use. I cut all that out in favor of the replacement ATX backplate (from LaserHive) shown below...

IMG_3157.JPG

IMG_7540.JPG

Oh so I could just cut out the case infront on my motherboards I/O and run the cables through the hole ?

Im not fussed about the back plate currently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back