Contribute
Register

Motherboard hosed, need to replace with...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just found out my Z87X-UD5H motherboard is hosed (bent CPU pins) and I need to replace it.
Question is, what mobo is still compatible with the hardware I have; i7 4770k chip and 32GB of DDR3 ram?

I don't want to have to buy a new processor & RAM in addition to a new motherboard.
My system was 2 partitions (Mtn Lion and Sierra) used pretty much for Pro Tools. I'd be happy if I could have the same and add a Mojave partition as well. My same mobo used sells for both $199 and $113 used, but sold only from Hong Kong.

What are my options?

If you want to clock your K cpu then a Z97 mobo looks to be the thing. The cost of these older mobos is surprising, and as you say they seem to be coming from Asia. You might score one on eBay but they seem expensive everywhere. They are old enough that some well-used ones should be around too, but how long they might last is a question.

I didn't overclock this one so that's not a requirement, but you're right, the prices are surprising.
Someone was asking $865 for a Z87?? That had to be a mistake right? :)
I'll check out a Z97 (Gigabyte, yes?), but if you know of any other makes/models, let me know.

Thanks!

I'll check out a Z97 (Gigabyte, yes?), but if you know of any other makes/models, let me know.

Thanks!
If you can't find the exact model, a Gigabyte Z97 or H97 motherboard is probably the next best choice for you. Since you do not overclock the CPU it is not absolutely necessary to get a Z motherboard.

Last edited:
If you can find the exact model, a Gigabyte Z97 or H97 motherboard is probably the next best choice for you. Since you do not overclock the CPU it is not absolutely necessary to get a Z motherboard.
Are all these ok?
H97 HD3 Desktop (though my Z87 was in a tower)
H97 N
H97 M-D3H

Are all these ok?
H97 N
H97 M-D3H
You would probably want to pick a mobo that has a successful build documented here as one criterion. The H boards can work, but often the BIOSes for these don't have as much fine-tuning, or odd LAN/Audio hardware so good to see what worked well for others. Since you don't seem to want to move to Big Sur, you can work with Clover and follow established builds.

Are all these ok?
H97 N
H97 M-D3H
I have a H97M-D3H motherboard in my 4th build and it runs Mavericks / Yosemite / El Capitan / Sierra / High Sierra / Mojave.

I have a H97M-D3H motherboard in my 4th build and it runs Mavericks / Yosemite / El Capitan / Sierra / High Sierra / Mojave.
Excellent. I really just use the machine for Pro Tools and and some 3rd party plugins. I had good luck with the Z87X, so hopefully one of these will be good as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back