i3-3225
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I am requesting recommendation for a mATX motherboard with on-board display port compatible with the Core i3-9100F CPU. Mini-ITX would also work for me, but I prefer mATX.

i3-9100F does not have onboard graphics. You would need to use a supported GPU instead with this processor. All Intel processor with a suffix (designation at the end of the model number) of 'F' are made to not have graphics capabilities and you must use a GPU with all of these processors.

Instead look for a processor like the i3-9100 processor as it does have graphics capabilities.

For mATX board with DisplayPort, see the buyers guide. All boards are listed with form factor and video connections as well as audio and Ethernet hardware details. Both Asus and Gigabyte offer options, MSI and ASRock may also have options.

Any motherboard with built in wifi will need to have the wifi hardware replaced, disconnected where available from the board or UEFI. Further steps may also be required on some hardware where the hardware cannot be removed from the board. Use the search feature to find specific build using each board that you find and see how other users have completed macOS installation and what advice/good info that you can find for your own build.

i3-9100F does not have onboard graphics.
Doh! I remember reading that somewhere now and forgot. It was late when I posted that question. LOL I won't be getting that CPU!

Thanks for the heads up on the built-in WiFi. I was looking through the guide, but not sure which boards support 9th gen CPUs. Very few on the list are mATX with DP, and really only one that's readily available for sale from Amazon, this one: and it says supports 8th gen. I guess I need to do more research.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BQ9XQPP/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Last edited:
Intel 9th gen Coffee Lake is just a revision of Intel 8th gen Coffee Lake specification. The socket is the same and the 9th gen processors have been out for long enough (March 2019 or so) that any board that you buy should have 9th gen supported BIOS/UEFI versions already installed and probably a newer updated security version too.

You can confirm the processor support from each board by looking at the CPU support information for that particular board:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back