Contribute
Register

Motherboard Coil Whine !!!! For the love of God, help me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z170 OC Formula
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K
Graphics
SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480
Mac
  1. iMac
I've recently completed my first Hackintosh, and with great trial and tribulation have conquered just about every issue .. except one. Coil whine!

Intel l6700k Processor
Corsair H55 cpu water cooler
Asrock z170 OC Formula Mother Board
16 G DDR4 3000 Memory
Sapphire RX 480 8G nitro

I resolved issues with the video card driver, random reboots to the circle of death with a line through it, getting overclocking to work, learning how to use Clover and the various tools ... and the last problem I'm left with is coil whine. It's driving me crazy. I'm already resigned to doing an RMA on the motherboard, but I'm going to test if the issue occurs on a Windows 10 build when I get another hard drive. That's my last trouble shooting step, other than this desperate plea.

The issue is very similar to this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/301146-deactivate-speedstep/. I've disabled every possible cpu state setting in the bios, overclocked, dry humped kext files ... nothing works.

It sounds like nails on a chalkboard when the CPU is idling or fluctuating from normal activity. When idling, the whine is exacerbated when I move my mouse around on the screen. It does NOT produce the whine when it is under constant load. If I mine crypto currency with the CPU to max the processing, there is no sound.

If you've conquered this issue, have mercy and share a solution. I'm on the edge, and throwing this $#$#43!!?!! computer through my window is sounding like a more viable solution every minute ...

UPDATE

So I installed Win 10 Pro on another hard drive so see if there was a difference with the coil whine between operating systems. Win 10 was definitely much quieter. I could still faintly hear the same issue in Win 10, but it was 100 times less audible. All of the bios settings are exactly the same between the test. The difference in noise level is nails on a chalkboard vs a mouse fart. I completely disabled things like the Intel 530 onboard video in system devices in windows, onboard sound, etc to see if I could isolate the hardware issue. The very feint sound of coil whine was still present for windows regardless, including a noticeable change in pitch with mouse movement. The windows 10 install is quiet enough, to where I wouldn't have noticed it originally, including the mouse movement.

That leaves me at a crossroads. I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle of an RMA if I know Windows 10 doesn't have the issue. I suspect the issue could be mitigated in Sierra if I could find some help with CPU power management kexts.

Currently AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext are completely removed from /System/Library/Extensions/

I've attached the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext located in my /EFI/EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12

Another important thing to mention I have a plat rated 1200 watt EVGA PSU that is brand new, I doubt it's the source of the trouble but I don't have another to compare against.

I guess I can just mine crypto currency forever ....

UPDATE #2

So, we meet again ... What the hell?!! Not a single comment, idea, show of support .. nothing. I thought Hackintosh was a a community!?! Why have I been forsaken??!

I just so happened to have this exact motherboard running in a PC I use for windows development. This PC, has the same motherboard, a different 1600 watt evga PSU to test, and coincidentally is running 2 Radeon RX 9 Furys, so I figured I would take my SSD with all the hard work from my Sierra configuration and boot it up. I figured the video card hacks are the same for Fury x and RX480 so I wouldn't have to futz with much, and I could definitively rule out coil whine being a defect of the motherboard.

So I plopped in the SSD, and lo and behold ... it boot into Sierra no problem ... and I was greeted with the same horrendous earful of coil whine from the other board. FINE! Obviously this has something to do with differences between the OS's and power management / CPU settings. The coil whine definitely comes from the processor area.

An interesting side note is that both Fury X's were detected without issue.

Consider this fair warning for anyone considering the Asrock Z170 OC Formula. It was on Tony Mac's list of approved hardware, but I guess it's just my luck. You have been warned.

Perhaps there will be some updates to try regarding Sierra power management kexts in the future. I sincerely hope some other people suffer with this issue from other motherboard manufactures so I can get some help. Yes, I'm selfish like that.

Some other good news is perhaps they will in fact finally update the Mac Pro soon ? http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac/...o-2016-tech-specs-new-features-march-3536364/ . If so, I'll be first in line. I think I'd rather beat my balls with a hammer then go through another Hackintosh build to ultimately be defeated by coil whine.

The silver lining is I don't have to go through an RMA process, and most importantly - I have my sanity back. I can live with coil whine, but not unexplained random coil whine.

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.2 KB · Views: 243
  • config.plist
    8.2 KB · Views: 294
  • NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.zip
    26.3 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
I've recently completed my first Hackintosh, and with great trial and tribulation have conquered just about every issue .. except one. Coil whine!

Intel l6700k Processor
Corsair H55 cpu water cooler
Asrock z170 OC Formula Mother Board
16 G DDR4 3000 Memory
Sapphire RX 480 8G nitro

I resolved issues with the video card driver, random reboots to the circle of death with a line through it, getting overclocking to work, learning how to use Clover and the various tools ... and the last problem I'm left with is coil whine. It's driving me crazy. I'm already resigned to doing an RMA on the motherboard, but I'm going to test if the issue occurs on a Windows 10 build when I get another hard drive. That's my last trouble shooting step, other than this desperate plea.

The issue is very similar to this http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/301146-deactivate-speedstep/. I've disabled every possible cpu state setting in the bios, overclocked, dry humped kext files ... nothing works.

It sounds like nails on a chalkboard when the CPU is idling or fluctuating from normal activity. When idling, the whine is exacerbated when I move my mouse around on the screen. It does NOT produce the whine when it is under constant load. If I mine crypto currency with the CPU to max the processing, there is no sound.

If you've conquered this issue, have mercy and share a solution. I'm on the edge, and throwing this $#$#43!!?!! computer through my window is sounding like a more viable solution every minute ...

UPDATE

So I installed Win 10 Pro on another hard drive so see if there was a difference with the coil whine between operating systems. Win 10 was definitely much quieter. I could still faintly hear the same issue in Win 10, but it was 100 times less audible. All of the bios settings are exactly the same between the test. The difference in noise level is nails on a chalkboard vs a mouse fart. I completely disabled things like the Intel 530 onboard video in system devices in windows, onboard sound, etc to see if I could isolate the hardware issue. The very feint sound of coil whine was still present for windows regardless, including a noticeable change in pitch with mouse movement. The windows 10 install is quiet enough, to where I wouldn't have noticed it originally, including the mouse movement.

That leaves me at a crossroads. I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle of an RMA if I know Windows 10 doesn't have the issue. I suspect the issue could be mitigated in Sierra if I could find some help with CPU power management kexts.

Currently AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext are completely removed from /System/Library/Extensions/

I've attached the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext located in my /EFI/EFI/Clover/kexts/10.12

Another important thing to mention I have a plat rated 1200 watt EVGA PSU that is brand new, I doubt it's the source of the trouble but I don't have another to compare against.

I guess I can just mine crypto currency forever ....

UPDATE #2

So, we meet again ... What the hell?!! Not a single comment, idea, show of support .. nothing. I thought Hackintosh was a a community!?! Why have I been forsaken??!

I just so happened to have this exact motherboard running in a PC I use for windows development. This PC, has the same motherboard, a different 1600 watt evga PSU to test, and coincidentally is running 2 Radeon RX 9 Furys, so I figured I would take my SSD with all the hard work from my Sierra configuration and boot it up. I figured the video card hacks are the same for Fury x and RX480 so I wouldn't have to futz with much, and I could definitively rule out coil whine being a defect of the motherboard.

So I plopped in the SSD, and lo and behold ... it boot into Sierra no problem ... and I was greeted with the same horrendous earful of coil whine from the other board. FINE! Obviously this has something to do with differences between the OS's and power management / CPU settings. The coil whine definitely comes from the processor area.

An interesting side note is that both Fury X's were detected without issue.

Consider this fair warning for anyone considering the Asrock Z170 OC Formula. It was on Tony Mac's list of approved hardware, but I guess it's just my luck. You have been warned.

Perhaps there will be some updates to try regarding Sierra power management kexts in the future. I sincerely hope some other people suffer with this issue from other motherboard manufactures so I can get some help. Yes, I'm selfish like that.

Some other good news is perhaps they will in fact finally update the Mac Pro soon ? http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac/...o-2016-tech-specs-new-features-march-3536364/ . If so, I'll be first in line. I think I'd rather beat my balls with a hammer then go through another Hackintosh build to ultimately be defeated by coil whine.

The silver lining is I don't have to go through an RMA process, and most importantly - I have my sanity back. I can live with coil whine, but not unexplained random coil whine.

Hey - I'm seeing the same issue but I only really notice it when I move a USB mouse (magic trackpad has no issues) and when I run Black Magic's disk speed test - do you also hear it with the latter?

In my instance, the coil whine is always there - it almost sounds like a noisy old hard drive, and it's apparently related to CPU activity from what I can tell. The mouse movement only exasperates the whine, making it louder - and it's clearly connected to the mouse movement. I moved the cursor side to side quickly to isolate the noise on the board with a rolled up paper to my ear to try and find the capacitors involved.

Also in my case, since 99% of the whine goes away when the CPU is under 100% load, I suspect it has something to do with how the OS manages the voltage drops, and frequency changes of CPU activity. It could certainly be some other type of interference like a USB driver, or maybe even the onboard video driver.

Or maybe it's just the water cooler motor that is spinning up when the CPU gets hot.

Or maybe it's just the water cooler motor that is spinning up when the CPU gets hot.

Definitely not. I unplugged fan, and pump from motherboard connectors to rule out that hardware, or any load it was putting on the motherboard power draw. As well, the noise is negligible in Windows 10 which should rule out hardware in general.

It sounds like nails on a chalkboard when the CPU is idling or fluctuating from normal activity. When idling, the whine is exacerbated when I move my mouse around on the screen. It does NOT produce the whine when it is under constant load.

Win 10 was definitely much quieter. I could still faintly hear the same issue in Win 10, but it was 100 times less audible. All of the bios settings are exactly the same between the test. The difference in noise level is nails on a chalkboard vs a mouse fart.

Man, I feel for you... You turned off all C-States in the BIOS and made sure that they are un-checked in the plist.conf. What happens if you enable Spread Spectrum in the BIOS?

I know that it doesn't make sense, but did you try another PSU? You didn't list it. Lots of weird problems can sometimes be traced back to the PSU.

My go-to test is a Linux Live CD or Linux Live USB stick, and if necessary the disconnection of all drives if using the USB stick. If it's still there I would try another PSU; Haswell Certified, of course; 650W Gold Plus, or at least twice the graphics card TDP.

Man, I feel for you... You turned off all C-States in the BIOS and made sure that they are un-checked in the plist.conf. What happens if you enable Spread Spectrum in the BIOS?

I know that it doesn't make sense, but did you try another PSU? You didn't list it. Lots of weird problems can sometimes be traced back to the PSU.

My go-to test is a Linux Live CD or Linux Live USB stick, and if necessary the disconnection of all drives if using the USB stick. If it's still there I would try another PSU; Haswell Certified, of course; 650W Gold Plus, or at least twice the graphics card TDP.

Kiiroaka,

Thanks for the input. I'm sure you meant config.plist right, in the /EFI/Clover directory. Yes I'm quite sure they are disabled currently (both C and P states, as well as in the BIOS). I've also tried every imaginable combination of clover setting with the BIOS for these states.

As for the PSU, I have ruled it out. One it's high quality and brand new EVGA 1200 plat rated. I don't mess around with my builds. As well, I mentioned early I tested a duplicate of this same exact mother board that in another build of mine, and that build also has a pretty new 1600 EVGA plat rated PSU, that experiences no issues for coil whine. The exact same issue occurs when I boot into the exact SSD I have Sierra/Clover loaded on that I pulled from the original machine I was debugging.

I'm fairly confident it's not a PSU issue.

The issue exists when there is no external graphic card used as well. I thought perhaps it could be related to power management or drivers for the relatively new hacks to get Polaris based AMD cards working with Hackintosh.

I'm stumped. It's one of the more unusual hardware issues I've ever come across. If I had to guess it has to do with differences between operating system CPU software across platform with this particular motherboard.

bump for update.

bump for update.

Update!!! I'll give you an update ...

I gave up. I'm a broken man, with a noisy Hackintosh.

Also, let me be clear.

* It's not the PSU. I tested two different plat rated brand new EVGA PSU's.
* Windows is quiet, OSX is not - same exact hardware.

I'm not returning the motherboard and starting over. I have 3 m.2 working in a Raid 0, and a RX 480 8 G Nitro working on Sierra.

I either CPU mine crypto or turn up the music. If I can't take it anymore I'll put it in a noise canceling case. Somehow it's become less annoying when I came to terms with it. It's like an old Dell server with SCSI drives.

This AsRock z170 oc formula is one of the only boards with 3 m.2's and I like the 2.5 G read and write IO.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/96uy0p5txmcb53v/Screenshot 2016-12-11 00.15.18.png?dl=0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back