Contribute
Register

Motherboard Chipsets - Z370 or H370

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there an advantage to one or the other, or does it not even matter?

From PC World magazine

Z370 motherboards are the gold standard, built for enthusiast PCs. These are the only Intel motherboards that support CPU and memory overclocking (if you have an unlocked K-series chip), or handle gaming rigs with multiple graphics cards, at least until Z390 boards become available. They’re loaded with the most PCI-E lanes, potential USB ports and RAID storage options. As the flagship chipset, Z370 also offers the most high-speed I/O lanes. More HSIO lanes let board makers divvy out more features, like NVMe SSD connections and SuperSpeed USB ports, as they see fit.

H370 motherboards are only a notch below Z370, and perfect for people who don’t like to tinker. These boards don’t support overclocking, multiple graphics card setups, or some of the more exotic Intel Rapid Storage Technology features. Other than those niche enthusiast features, and some differences in USB 3.1 support, H370 largely mirrors Z370.

Last edited:
Oh that's good to know, so going after an i3-8350K would be pointless on an H370 board!

Yes, no point in using unlocked cpus. My question is if we can get a hackintosh working as easily on a H370 as we can on a Z370? All golden builds still all appear to be z370?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back