Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68XP-UD4
CPU
i7-2700K
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Hello!

I made a thread earlier about my friend who is trying to build a Media Center (HTPC) / Gaming Hackintosh. I think he is really interested in the smaller builds but still wants a lot of power to do gaming and run high quality videos (and maybe explore with other programs if he has enough power). In looking around previous HTPC builds, I stumbled upon this one: http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-builds/57791-success-jb-s-build-i7-2700k-ga-z68mx-ud2-hd-6870-a.html

It seems to have a sleek, nice Lian Li case (Newegg.com - LIAN LI Black Aluminum PC-C50B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case) and the Micro ATX motherboard is I think the type of motherboard he was looking for. However, the GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 doesn't seem to be sold on Newegg anymore (besides eBay). I was looking around at some Z68 Micro ATX motherboards, but do you guys have any suggestions for a Micro ATX motherboard that is compatible with Hackintoshes and works well? Or maybe another type of motherboard that fits my friend's needs?

I was thinking for graphics card either a GTX 570 or some other 5xx card (I personally have the EVGA 570 HD SC and I love it, but after looking at the case, I am fearful it may not fit, but I'll have to check specifics).

I was trying to find a good Bluetooth dongle that allowed wake from sleep (since my friend has the Magic Mouse and Bluetooth keyboard), and I stumbled across the Rocketfish dongle which seems to work. Can anyone share any experiences with their own Bluetooth dongle that seems to work 100% with their Bluetooth devices?

I also don't want to clutter up the Hackintosh forum, but I had another off topic question – I am looking at buying a cheaper but 100% compatible HD webcam for my own Hackintosh (GA-Z68XP-UD4, i7-2700K, GTX 570 HD SC), and I was wondering if anyone has good recommendations? I am not looking for a real expensive one (nor do I want a really cheap one that won't last long), but something very affordable. Any suggestions? :)

Thanks guys!

Hey

For my new build I'm planning on using the GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3. I'm not sure if that is available in US for you

Ben

It is available - what do you plan your other specs to be/what case were you looking at? How big is your graphics card?

Also, does anyone else have advice/opinions on Bluetooth?

I will be upgrading my current machine which is a Fractal Design Core 1000 I believe, also I use an nVidia G210, but im upgrading to a GT550 ti when I have enough cash :p

Bluetooth doesn't bother me as all my devices are wired, same applies to Wi-Fi

Ben

Bump - any other suggestions/advice on motherboards and Bluetooth?

Also, that Lian Li case is slick but some user reviews said it was loud... Anyone know another suggested micro ATX case that is quiet but big enough to fit normal full sized graphic cards (such as the GTX 570 HD)? Thanks!

I've been looking to build an HTPC with the new Ivy Bridge stuff. I think I'm gonna go with the GA-B75M-D3P over the GA-Q77M-D2H. Both were on the customac build for 2012. The only thing better about the Q77m is Optical output, 6 channel analog audio, and a full size display port. None of which I need. The B75M is pretty cheap at less than $100.

Here's my parts list so far:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3P Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Case: Silverstone GD05B HTPC Case

Thanks for the reply - and nice build! What's the difference between the Q77 and Z77 then?

I would need a case that fits a full sized graphics card like the GTX 570/560/550Ti, because my friend is planning on doing 3D rendering/printing and also wants to do some gaming, so I figure a larger graphics card with more power is needed than just the HD4000/HD3000. That case you posted looks pretty sweet - he likes the "metallic" modern industrial look, I'll have to show them that, and based on reviews, it definitely can fit a large sized graphics card.

I also want him to upgrade to an i7, but the requirements he has is that:

- He really wants sleep to work (wake from sleep).
- He also really wants to be able to wake from sleep with bluetooth.

I saw Targus on the CustoMac list, but I heard some people say that doesn't work with wake from sleep sometimes and some other people got better success with the RocketFish dongle. Does normal sleep depend on board/DSDT? I couldn't find a DSDT for some of those boards while I found some for the older Z68 Micro ATX boards (although the one used in the above thread I posted isn't available so I am going to have to find an alternative good micro ATX Z68 board if I want to compare). He also wants this to be super quiet, and was thinking of a water-cooling system but I am trying to see if there is just a quiet fan/quiet power supply that can help with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back