Contribute
Register

(mostly solved, except for sleep) GA-z68ap-d3 rev2.0 Sierra, post-install issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime X570 Pro
CPU
Ryzen 9 3900X
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello,

I just made a fresh install of Sierra 10.12.4 on this rig using Unibeast 7.1.1 (clover):
- gigabyte GA-z68ap-d3 rev2.0 (UEFI BIOS UA9)
- i7-3770k
- Asus GeForce GTX660ti
- 1440p monitor over DP
- SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB EDIT: switched to a Crucial MX100 512GB (see below)

I ran multibeast 9.2.1 and here is what is still not working, yet:

- sleep (scrambled screen upon wake up)

- shutdown (reboots automatically, enabling fixshutdown_0004 in the ACPI panel of clover configurator didn't solve the problem)
EDIT: Solved, see next post

- Audio (although multibeast installed ALC892)
EDIT: fixed by installing ALC889 instead :p

- Ethernet (although multibeast installed realtek drivers, v2.2.1).
EDIT: Solved, See next post.

- USB3.0 ports work after installing 3rd party USB3 in multibeast but transfer speed on these ports is ~80MBps (above USB2.0 limit of 60MBps but not by much)... So I don't know...
EDIT: I get the same speed with the same USB3.0 drive on a windows machine. I guess that's the best USB3.0 has to offer in this case...

- SSD performance are awful (write: 80-100MBps, read: ~150MBps) -> a sATA issue?
I tried with a different drive (Crucial MX100 512GB). I get better transfer rates (approx. 250/250MBps) but that's still about half of what I get with the same drive in a different hackintosh (z97 board running 10.12.6). There must be a problem somewhere...
EDIT: I reinstalled on the Crucial MX100 512GB SSD and there I get "normal" transfer rates (approx. 500/500MBps). I guess the Kingston drive is just a terrible SSD...

Any advice or recommendation?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

best,
-a-

PS: I have Ethernet working when I boot off the Unibeast 7.1.1 USB dongle and select my SSD in order to setup macOS (I can access my apple account, etc. However It's gone after I run multibeast and Clover Configurator, even if I boot off the Unibeast 7.1.1 dongle and select my SSD to boot... There must be something I install that actually prevents Ethernet from working at some point, right?
EDIT: See NOTE2 on the next post

Last edited:
Hi :)

I watched the video tutorial from this tread and performed the following in addition to what I had already done:
Multibeast 9.2.1:
  • installed all 3 Ethernet drivers (AtherosE2200Ethernet v2.2.1, AppleIntelE1000e v3.3.3, RealtekRTL8111 v2.2.1)
EDIT: only RealtekRTL8111 v2.2.1 is required. You need the version from multibeast 9.0.1, though (see next posts)
  • installed 7/8/9 Series USB Support (although the card is a 6 Series...) See note below
Clover Configurator:
  1. ACPI:
  • enabled FixHDA_8000
  • enabled FixSATA_400
  • enabled HDA
  • enabled LAN
  1. Boot:
  • enabled kext-dev-mode=1
  • enabled rootless=0
BIOS:
  • set XMP to profile1
Now, I DID NOT do the following:
Multibeast:
  • Optional 3 port (5.1) Audio (audio was already functional enough...)
  • FakeSMC Plugins and HWMonitor (I don't use them generally)
  • Sandy Bridge Core i7 (does not apply to my CPU: Ivy Bridge)
Clover Configurator:
  1. Graphics:
  • didn't change anything since I have a different GPU compared to the one in the video tutorial mentioned above
  1. Devices:
  • left Audio to 1 (rather than 2) since audio was working and I was scared of f#“ing things up.
After all this I noticed few improvements (didn't notice anything getting worse though, yet)
  • shutdown now works as expected
  • wake from sleep still doesn't work (screen stays black now rather than displaying a scrambled image)
  • USB3.0 speed unchanged
EDIT: See previous post
NOTE: Actually 7/8/9 Series USB Support doesn't seem to be sufficient to provide actual USB support in my case. Without installing 3rd party USB3.0 (that is not mentioned in the aforementioned video) USB disks don't show up on the desktop nor in disk utility. macOS still displays a warning message about ejecting them before unplugging them though, indicating that they must be somehow detected...
  • SSD speed unchanged (and still awful on the Kingston drive...) EDIT: -> changed for a Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
  • Still no Ethernet :(
EDIT: SOLVED! SEE NOTE2 BELOW
NOTE2: I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY... but since the original video tutorial involved Multibeast 9 (clover 2.3k r3766) while I was using Multibeast 9.2.1 (clover 2.4k r4173) I imagined that maybe something changed in the most recent version of Multibeast that prevented Ethernet from working properly. For instance, AtherosE2200Ethernet was upgraded from v2.2.0 to v2.2.1. I tried to download Multibeast 9 but couldn't find a link (EDIT: link added). Fortunately I had an old USB dongle with Multibeast 9.0.1 on it (same version of clover and AtherosE2200Ethernet). I reinstalled everything but this time using Multibeast 9.0.1 and after reboot Ethernet was working!!!

Can anyone explain to me what is going on? Please...

Please help me out here... :crazy:

Thank you very much in advance

Best,
-a-

Last edited:
Download the newest version of Clover from sourceforge.
You should only be using the Realtek kext for Ethernet! There’s a newer version I believe on Git.
Install clover and to the boot drive, and then add kext, themes, plist, etc to the boot drive EFI partition. Then don’t boot from the usb, use the boot drive in uefi mode.

Download the newest version of Clover from sourceforge.

You think/know the newest version (2.4k r4318) somehow reverts whatever issue appeared in 2.4k r4173 compared to 2.3k r3766?

You should only be using the Realtek kext for Ethernet!

Well, I did that 1st when I was using Multibeast 9.2.1 but it didn't work. Then when I used 9.0.1 I didn't try the Realtek kext alone. It's true that it apparently doesn't make sense to use multiple kexts but since I am not familiar with that kind of things I assumed the author of the video tutorial knew what he was doing. In addition, the Atheros kext is described in Multibeast as:
AtherosE2200Ethernet
Mieze’s driver based on Johannes Berg’s alx driver and RealtekRTL811 for the Killer E2200 controller. Installs AtherosE2200Ethernet in /Library/Extensions.

well...

In addition, since the Realtek kext is the same in MB9.0.1 and in MB9.2.1, how come one works and not the other?

There’s a newer version I believe on Git.

Will it work on the z68ap-d3 rev2.0 with UEFI UA9?

Install clover and to the boot drive, and then add kext, themes, plist, etc to the boot drive EFI partition. Then don’t boot from the usb, use the boot drive in uefi mode.

Yes, that's what I do... After MB works its magic, I boot from the SSD which has a working EFI partition containing clover and required kexts...

Thank you for your help.
-a-

You should only be using the Realtek kext for Ethernet!

You're right indeed...

I ran some tests (using different versions of multibeast and applying Clover Configurator settings as specified earlier afterwards and then reboot on SSD).
Here's what came out of them:

1. used multibeast 9.0.1. Ethernet kext: only RealtekRTL8111 v2.2.1 => Ethernet works
  2. used multibeast 9.2.1. Ethernet kext: only RealtekRTL8111 v2.2.1 => Ethernet DOES NOT work
  3. used multibeast 9.2.1 for everything BUT Ethernet : Ethernet kext: use only RealtekRTL8111 v2.2.1 from multibeast 9.0.1 => Ethernet works
So even though the versions of RealtekRTL8111 are supposed to be identical between these 2 versions of multibeast, something must have changed somehow...

1. Using multibeast 9.0.1 (after having already used 9.2.1) to overwrite RealtekRTL8111 v2.2.1 from 9.2.1 with the version from 9.0.1 won't work either... It works if RealtekRTL8111 v2.2.1 (from 9.2.1) is removed from Library/Extensions prior to installing the version from 9.0.1, though

Best,
-a-

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back