Contribute
Register

Most compatible 17" notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Macbook Pro, No, seriously. But if want to continue down that path:

ASUS G73Sw ($1300-$1600)

Unfortunately, there isn't a comprehensive guide to setting up Mac OS X on the G73Sw, so you'll need a lot of previous Hackintosh experience to pull off the installation. Once you finish the post-installation, most of the things work: graphics, WiFi, audio, sleep, bluetooth, and the trackpad. The keyboard backlights should work as well, though the results differ from person to person. However, like the G53Jw, the Fn keys and microphone on the G73Sw don't work. The SD card reader built into the laptop hasn't been confirmed to work, either. There is a DSDT patch available for the laptop on Olarila (how to patch a DSDT).
HP ProBook 4730s ($950-$1100)

The ProBook 4730s mostly works with Mac OS X Lion, but it's not nearly as Hackintosh-compatible as the 4530s. The graphics card in the 4730s (the AMD Radeon 6490M) doesn't work with Mac OS X, so you'll have to disable it in the BIOS. This isn't a huge loss, but it's inconvenient, and it definitely complicates the installation procedure. The 4730s also has problems displaying Mac OS X at the correct screen resolution, since it uses a different resolution (1600x900) than other ProBook models.

Most importantly, this laptop sometimes experiences graphical glitches in Mac OS X, that prevent you from using Mission Control or the Dock. Though it's not hard to work without the Mission Control and the Dock, it's extremely annoying, so keep this in mind. Otherwise, everything else (WiFi, audio. ethernet, trackpad, etc.) should work pretty well. Like all of the ProBooks, the 4730s has problems with bluetooth, brightness controls, the VGA port, and the microphone.

The BEST hackintosh Laptop IMHO RIGHT NOW is the HP ProBook 4530s($500-$950) but it's only a 15.6 Screen.
The ProBook 4530s is pretty much the gold standard of Hackintosh laptops. Almost every part of the ProBook 4530s works with Mac OS X: WiFi, audio, ethernet, sleep, bluetooth, USB 3.0, the battery meter, the trackpad, and even the SD card reader. Tweaking is kept to a minimum, since the HP ProBook 4530s forum on tonymacx86 has more or less figured out everything for you. If you're looking for a truly Hackintosh-friendly laptop, go with this one. It's even endorsed by tonymacx86 himself.

Unlike for Mac OS X Lion, there's no official method for installing OS X Mountain Lion on the ProBook 4530s. The easiest way to do it is with Unibeast. After the initial installation of Mac OS X, run the HP ProBook Installer to enable sleep, sound, and various other features. For details on this part of the process, check the official HP ProBook Installer thread, linked below. If you encounter problems with USB 3.0, Bluetooth, or graphical glitches, you may have to manually install some additional kexts-- check the "extra" guide linked below for details.

However, even once you get Mountain Lion working, not everything is perfect. For instance, Bluetooth won't work after waking up from sleep, but screen brightness controls won't work before waking up from sleep. So you'll have to decide which feature is more important to you. Also, Bluetooth doesn't work after a restart (only a cold bootup will make it work), the VGA port is unreliable, and the external microphone doesn't work at all. However, don't let all of these problems with the 4530s discourage you; none of the problems really affect the laptop's usability. In fact, the 4530s actually has fewer problems than most Hackintosh laptops. It just happens that the glitches for the 4530s are better documented.

hello, just wondering if you have found a 17" laptop as yet to Hackintosh?

I have been reading and scouring sites looking for the easiest install on one.

I am leaning towards an Asus N76vm I think it is or Asus G74sx or G75?
I can not find a HP Probook 4730s for sale in Canada. I see some running Acer 8742 although an older laptop series as well.

I see also some people having good luck with Samsungs as well as some HP Pavillion DV series

Any guidance is immensely appreciated

Mine is coming along nicely (SVE1711X1EB). It is certainly not easy though, but I will be putting up a guide soon. The only thing left to do is graphics acceleration, everything else works. Which rumours has it that there may be support for my graphics card in the next ML update so fingers crossed. If you need more info, let me know, but if you did decide to get mine, you will need to purchase a new wifi card (~£9 from eBay) and I would recommend an SSD. The laptop is great, +10800 geekbench score and around £900, after SSD and wifi card, you're looking at £1k. (I think that's about $1600)

Thanks pokeHerOne,

I am watching the progress of someone here, I forget name now, with a Samsung NP550 I think it is.

@Koalaman:

I would agree that the HP 4530 is near, if not at the top of the list for 15" laptops. However, there is also an HP Probook 4730 which is essentially the same computer with a 17" screen other than the video card which you might have to disable (and use Intel graphics).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back