Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z69X-UD3H-B3 - F12
CPU
i7 2600K
Graphics
RX570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi I followed the guide to make a bootable Opencore USB stick with Monterey OS. I am trying to boot from USB my second Hack (Intel i7 Sandy Bridge, ASUS p8z68-pro and no discrete GPU but only Hd3000 igpu) that run High Sierra, 'cause I want a test prior to proceed to install Monterey on my main hack with Catalina...(same configuration but with Radeon 570 and Gygabyte mobo).
When I boot from USB I have a black screen with "OC: failed to load configuration!" error, I attached the screenshot and the EFI structure of the USB. Any suggestion to solve the probllem thanks?

Schermata 2022-12-23 alle 20.01.41.png

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 31
  • EFI.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 26
  • Schermata 2022-12-23 alle 20.06.17.png
    Schermata 2022-12-23 alle 20.06.17.png
    313.2 KB · Views: 22
You have no config.plist.

Ok I follow the guide to edit config.plist, now the structure of the EFI seems ok but USB don't boot, OC menu doesn't appear.....I attached my EFI and boot log, could you help me? (I have only hd3000 igpu in this second hack running High Sierra I using for tests, I know it is not supported but I think for USB booting it could be fine...). Also BIOS options seems ok 'cause Catalina boots without any issue.

Anothe question...If I plug another SSD in my primary Hack and unplug the Catalina SSD to try to make a Monterey installation on it, when I re-plug the Catalina SSD the system will work again, right? Could I test or install the new OS in this way? So I can work while I am installing the new OS...

1st Hack: Intel i7 2600k, Gygabyte GA-Z69X-UD3H-B3 - F12, Catalina, 32gb, RX570
2nd Hack: Intel i7 2600k, ASUS P8Z68V-PRO, High Sierra, 32gb, only igpu HD3000

Attachments

• opencore-2022-12-28-172627.txt
    256 KB · Views: 20
  • config.plist
    29.9 KB · Views: 26
  • EFI.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
Ok I follow the guide to edit config.plist, now the structure of the EFI seems ok but USB don't boot, OC menu doesn't appear.....I attached my EFI and boot log, could you help me? (I have only hd3000 igpu in this second hack running High Sierra I using for tests, I know it is not supported but I think for USB booting it could be fine...). Also BIOS options seems ok 'cause Catalina boots without any issue.

Anothe question...If I plug another SSD in my primary Hack and unplug the Catalina SSD to try to make a Monterey installation on it, when I re-plug the Catalina SSD the system will work again, right? Could I test or install the new OS in this way? So I can work while I am installing the new OS...

1st Hack: Intel i7 2600k, Gygabyte GA-Z69X-UD3H-B3 - F12, Catalina, 32gb, RX570
2nd Hack: Intel i7 2600k, ASUS P8Z68V-PRO, High Sierra, 32gb, only igpu HD3000
Try and clone your Catalina drive to the second SSD, then copy your Catalina EFI to the new SSD, check that the Smbios is correct on for the version of OSX you want to install

Unplugged the original Catalina SSD and have a play with your cloned SSD.

Ok USB won't boot, I am trying with another USB keys with Clover ....the EFI seems ok but when I boot the system says me that there is non Os system drive connected......I don't undeerstand

Attachments

• EFI - Clover.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 38
the EFI seems ok but when I boot the system says me that there is non Os system drive connected......I don't undeerstand
Do you have "Install MacOS Monterey.app" installer on your USB stick, and if so, did you use the "Createinstallmedia" procedure for your USB drive? Sounds like it might not have been made bootable.

Last edited:
Hi
I made another usb key with Opencore with these steps:
1. I downloaded another app of Monterey from app store of my father's mac account,
2. then I followed this guide to make a bootable key.....all went well in terminal.....
3. Then I opened the EFI folder of the key with clover configurator
4. and copied the EFI from this post inside the (OpenCore) EFI folder of the key....
5. So, I tried to boot some times but the same message appears....

I unplugged all hdd and ssd but when I try to boot from usb a message says "boot device not found: plese connect a drive with operating system". I tried "boot override" from bios and also to configure only 1 option (the key) from boot menu in bios, but nothing.....

It seems that the key is not bootable, why?

Attachments

• EFIiMacpro(OC 0.8.3).zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 42
3. Then I opened the EFI folder of the key with clover configurator
4. and copied the EFI from this post inside the (OpenCore) EFI folder of the key....
No expert here, but copying that EFI to the USB drive after running the "createinstallmedia" process in Terminal might have undone the USB's "boot ability." You might want to try installing before putting anything in the USB drive's EFI folder, other than what "createinstallmedia" puts there (if anything).Also, if you want the latest version of Monterey (12.6.2) installer in your applications folder, you might want to download the "Install Assistant.pkg" fille (version 12.6.2) available from Mr. Macintosh. I used it for my Skylake computer ("Mini-ITX 2" below) and it worked fine. It should be the correct one from Apple.

Also, although your motherboard is one I know little about, I do know that Monterey cannot use EFI/OC/config.plist/Kernel/Quirks/XhciPortLimit. It MUST be set to NO.

I will try to compare your config.plist with the OpenCore Guide's recommendations for your Sandy Bridge motherboard and reply later.

Last edited:
Looking at your posted EFI folder versus OpenCore Install Guide for Sandy Bridge:

EFI/OC/Resources
If you want to use OpenCanopy, You need to replace that folder with the one from OCBinaryData. Click the green "CODE" box and download the ZIP file, then expand it and use the Resources folder as the replacement for your blank one.

EFI/OC/config.plist
1. In ACPI/Quirks, you show NormalizeHeaders and ResetLogoStatus Values - YES; in OpenCore, the default values are NO.
2. In DeviceProperties/Add you do not have OpenCore guide's entry:
PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0)
------ AAPL,snb-platform-id-----Data------ 00000500

3. In Kernel/Add/4, USBInjectAll.kext is not allowed in Monterey; the Enabled Value should be set to NO. (Also the file in EFI/OC/Kernel should be deleted.)
4. In Misc/Boot, PickerMode should be changed from Builtin to External if you want to use Open Canopy.
5. In Misc/Tools, do you really want all those tools to be enabled? Seems a bit much.
6. In Platforminfo/Generic, OpenCore guide recommends your SMBIOS be:
If you plan to later run macOS 10.14, Mojave or newer, MacPro6,1 wll be the recommended SMBIOS and the iGPU must be disabled in the BIOS due to no longer being supported.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back