Contribute
Register

Monterey on MSI Z77MA-S01 (MS-7756) using OpenCore (Overclock not working, yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus P8Z68-V PRO
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Monterey 12.6.3, OpenCore 0.8.7-0.8.8. UEFI boot. MacPro6,1 SMBIOS.
Asus Radeon HD7750 Silent
(during install and early test, radpg=15 added to boot args), Gigabyte Radeon RX560 4GB OC rev1 while writing this. (HDMI, DP not tested).
Asus PCE-AC68 Dual Band Wireless PCI Express, worked fine, which surprised me.
TP-Link UB400 Nano USB Bluetooth 4.0 (needed BlueToolFixup.kext post install).
Sound working, haven't tried HDMI sound.
USB seems to be working with USBToolBox.kext + UTBMap.kext. Haven't tried all ports, but mapped all external ports using USBToolBox from Windows and 2 internal ports connected to my computer front panel. Can't say I know exactly what I did, I've never mapped USB before, but for now I'm satisfied.
Power Management seems to work. Using Intel Power Gadget it appears so anyway. Core i7 2600K. Can't get Overclock to work though, trying to overlock using SSDT-PM (generated using ssdtprgen, and also tried downloaded aml files as well as one that worked in Mojave+clover) keeps CPU at minimum at all times. BIOS is set to overclock, and it works in Windows 10. It's a bit annoying that Overclock doesn't work, but it's ok for a while.
Sleep : Not sure it works. It worked during early test, but now with everything set up my computer woke up and rebooted last time I tried it overnight. I never use it anyway.
Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 14.42.39.png
Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 13.03.20.png

Weird: after changing system language to English, to post screenshots here, I had to reboot the computer (as usual), and when I logged in I was disconnected from Icloud but overclock worked. (see screenshot 2 of Intel Power Gadget). But after reboot, overclock was gone (I didn't change any settings in Opencore or BIOS) and I haven't been able to replicate this. But, somehow OC should be possible.
Screenshot 2023-01-28 at 17.55.00.png

Background: After using Clover and Mojave for ages (as i liked iPhoto and Aperture, and had a stable Z77 system) it was finally time to upgrade. After failed attempts to install Big Sur using Opencore, and a half-success updating to Catalina using Clover, I decided to make a clean install, again, and go for the final (?) MacOS version for my Z77 + i72600K-system : Monterey. And following Dortania guide to the letter, again.
It failed. I tried to google for MSI z77 boards with OpenCore installs, I tried config files from other Z77 systems, nothing worked. Much of the time I couldn't even reach the Opencore menu.
Clover, I think, messed up my NVRAM-settings. "OC: Failed to bootstrap SB NVRAM values - Invalid Parameter Halting on critical error." or something similar. I had to set SecureBootModel to Disabled, which got me to OpenCore menu so I could clean NVRAM (totally). This obviously erased all UEFI boot settings. After this I set SecureBootModel to Default and OpenCore booted just fine. Installed Monterey and added bluetooth kexts. I still have verbose logging, OpenCore full menu, and stuff enabled.
Imported users+documents from Time Machine but NOT applications as all old garbage from previous MacOS + Clover mangled my Monterey installation beyond repair.

I include my EFI-folder with dummy serials (not mine) for SMBIOS, I removed stuff I've added that didn't work (such as SSDT-PM.aml), in case my EFI settings can be of help. This is my first OpenCore install, and I started from the sample.plist, can't say it's optimised or that I understood even half of it.

Screenshot 2023-01-29 at 14.42.05.png

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Ok, update, I took another approach to overclocking - I disabled turbo in the BIOS and increased multiplier to 41, I have no turbo but that's not needed as I'm still quite overclocked on all 4 cores 4x4.1GHz. Power management seems to work ok, if not better (but measured from the plug in the wall max power has increased from stock, as expected).
So, on Mojave I had max turbo set to 4.2 in combination with ssdtprgen, but didn't have it on all 4 cores. Now I have 4x4.1, but have to test stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back