Contribute
Register

Monterey on external SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z370 > Need full model name > See Rules!
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi everybody!

My name is Marco, I'm from Italy and I'm new here.

I have a perfectly working Hackintosh built by myself two years ago running Mojave, and I would like to stick to this stable OSX for the moment.

I would like to know wether is it possible to install another OSX (Monterey?) on an external SSD.

I searched the internet only to find tutorial on how to build an installer but that's not what I'm after, I would like to have an installed parallel OSX to use as an alternative of the main OSX.

I hope I've been clear.
Thank you!
Marco

Hi everybody!

I have a perfectly working Hackintosh built by myself two years ago running Mojave, and I would like to stick to this stable OSX for the moment.

I would like to know wether is it possible to install another OSX (Monterey?) on an external SSD.

I searched the internet only to find tutorial on how to build an installer but that's not what I'm after, I would like to have an installed parallel OSX to use as an alternative of the main OSX.

I hope I've been clear.
Thank you!
Marco
May work, if your usb ports are setup correctly

best to use internal though

May work, if your usb ports are setup correctly

best to use internal though
How can I tell whether are the USB ports correctly setup?
They seem to work fine...

Any idea on how to install the OSX on the SDD?

Thank you
Marco

How can I tell whether are the USB ports correctly setup?
They seem to work fine...

Any idea on how to install the OSX on the SDD?

Thank you
Marco
this guide:

yes it will work.....
if you can either boot via the main motherboard or the "option" key..

the way to install it is plug the drive into the computer, format & partition it
Then go to the installer & when it asks to select drive, chose the external one.

now...... the trick here is to ensure that you use a USB port that is always on full the whole boot process.
Test using a KB & an external hub+ your device.

Hi everybody!

I hope I've been clear.
Thank you!
Marco

I have MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 / MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 installed on one disk, and MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 / MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 installed on another disk (both internal) and I am able to boot from any of them. So it should be possible to install another MacOS version as an alternative to the main MacOS if you want. I agree that it is best to use internal disks, though.

I have not tried MacOS Big Sur or Monterey, although I have no reason to suspect otherwise. I believe you should be able to use the OpenCore bootloader to "multiboot" between MacOS Mojave and a newer version.

I have not tried MacOS Big Sur or Monterey, although I have no reason to suspect otherwise. I believe you should be able to use the OpenCore bootloader to "multiboot" between MacOS Mojave and a newer version.
I'm dual booting Big Sur 11.6.5 and Monterey 12.3.1, internally. I could boot Big Sur via USB but it's slower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back