Contribute
Register

Monterey boots once from efi but any changes to efi creates kernel panic.MSI Z490i.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime-A wifi z790
CPU
i9-14900KF
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
My Signature will not update for some reason so:
Msi z490i unify, i7 10700k
Radeon Vii

Ive been going nuts trying to pin down what is going on with this setup. I have installed monterey on 2 other asus computers without any trouble, one a z490 and another x299. Im now working on my personal rig and I cant get the efi to boot properly. Ive tried starting from scratch twice, using my existing efi and copying it over to opencore 7.4 and 7.5 and trying other's efis from github. Ive updated my bios to most recent, checked all the bios settings and everything seems good. I have copied monterey to a new drive so its the only thing on there and it will boot so i know its good. Only problem is if i change anything in the config.plist (using propertree) next boot will panic. It happens every time. I then need to boot to my catalina drive from (catalina efi), replace the efi with the only one that works, and it will boot. But i cant make any changes... Any help or insight would be very appreciated. i've included the efi as it is in its "working" condition. Basically Im trying to work it out one thing at a time but am getting nowhere.
This is the panic i get after i try and reboot after config changes
IMG_20211117_151750146_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• config.plist
    27.4 KB · Views: 40
My Signature will not update for some reason so:
Msi z490i unify, i7 10700k
Radeon Vii
Did you press the save button, and refresh the page?

In any case, if you go to Account Details, and scroll down, you can edit the information there. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
... Only problem is if i change anything in the config.plist (using propertree) next boot will panic. ...
You will need to replace ProperTree with the latest version, if you haven't already done so. Older versions of ProperTree don't understand config.plist format changes made in OpenCore 0.7.4 and 0.7.5, and so edits that don't conform to what ProperTree expects, are stripped; especially in the Drivers section.

Note#1: Do you really need the AtherosE2200Ethernet, LucyRTL8125Ethernet and RealtekRTL8111 kexts to be present and enabled??! Remove them, unless you have the hardware they support.

Note#2: The i225-V should work without having to use the FakePCIID and FakePCIID_Intel_i225-V kexts, which were only needed in Catalina (for Z490 boards), but that's an issue for later.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will need to replace ProperTree with the latest version, if you haven't already done so. Older versions of ProperTree don't understand config.plist format changes made in OpenCore 0.7.4 and 0.7.5, and so edits that don't conform to what ProperTree expects, are stripped; especially in the Drivers section.

Note#1: Do you really need the AtherosE2200Ethernet, LucyRTL8125Ethernet and RealtekRTL8111 kexts to be present and enabled??! Remove them, unless you have the hardware they support.

Note#2: The i225-V should work without having to use the FakePCIID and FakePCIID_Intel_i225-V kexts, which were only needed in Catalina (for Z490 boards), but that's an issue for later.
Thanks alot for the that answer. That could be whats happening. About half way through my efforts i thought that might be what it could be so downloaded the newest version of pt and tried more. Although i havent, i dont think replaced all my drivers and config since then. Ill retry with it from scratch and see. Those kexts are there because like i said, It boots as is but if i change it it gets picky. Ill remove them.

Thanks alot for the that answer. That could be whats happening. About half way through my efforts i thought that might be what it could be so downloaded the newest version of pt and tried more. Although i havent, i dont think replaced all my drivers and config since then. Ill retry with it from scratch and see. Those kexts are there because like i said, It boots as is but if i change it it gets picky. Ill remove them.
Sometimes it's convenient while setting up, but, unused clutter only serves to confuse things, IMHO.
You really should change your details (at left), even if it's only temporary, as it will generally help encourage more useful responses. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back