Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've been out of the PC-building loop for a few years, and am now building up a Hackintosh system based on the suggestions from the Custom Mac guide here. I'm finding the 27" IPS screens (like the Catleap, etc.) quite appealing, but thinking about keeping my existing 22" generic monitor as well. So, here are my questions:

1. Will the onboard (HD4000) video work to run a WQHD monitor? By "work" I mean drive it at full resolution and color depth.

2. If so, can I do a dual monitor setup with the onboard video? I have four onboard video ports on my MB (VGA, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort), but I'm not sure if they're independent, or just four copies of the same output.

I'm not a gamer, so outrageous game performance is a non-issue for me. I do a little bit of CAD work, but mainly just want a big, high-resolution screen. Given that, if the answer to either 1 or 2 is "no", what would be a good video card to drive the larger monitor?

Anyone? I guess a GeForce 640 card isn't too expensive, but I'd still rather save the $100 if I don't need it...

Will work fine but only on the DisplayPort.

Some of the other research I've done has indicated the same thing. However, the Catleap has only a dual-link DVI input. Can I use an adapter from DisplayPort to that? The listings on eBay tend to say no, but they also say integrated graphics won't work, it won't work with a Mac, etc.

You can get converter but is $100 part might as well get nvidia 640 video card instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back