Contribute
Register

Mojave to Catalina - Improper Update, Black Screen. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG Maximus X Hero
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Hello all,

I recently needed to update to Catalina from Mojave due to needing some apple softwares (FCPX) up to date in order to continue working. My system has been stable for a long time now and so I am a little bit rusty on my hackintoshing skills.. I foolishly simply started the update process through MacOS. Only after the update failed did it occur to me that I probably needed to update Clover, download most recent kexts, etc.

Currently on the Apple loading screen the bar gets to about 75% and then it cuts to no display. Not just black screen, but zero output going to the monitor. I've tried leaving it like this overnight, but it stays this way, requiring a forced power off and then trying again.

After trying many times hoping it would simply finish the installation eventually, I loaded into Windows to start troubleshooting. I did try mounting my EFI in windows and replacing Lilu and Whatevergreen with the current versions, but that didn't make a difference.

Any ideas on what to try next? Booting my recovery partition from clover boot results in the same thing, the apple bar progressing a certain amount and then just going to a dead screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System Info:

- Asus Maximus X Hero Motherboard
- Intel i7-8700k CPU
- 32gb G.Skill TridentZ RAM
- Asus Radeon Vega 64 GPU

Struggling with the same. I got a bit further into the update now, however.

Try enabling your igpu and set your bios to prio the igpu rather than your Vega64.

By doing so, i got rid of the black screen and eventually saw the progress bar under the Apple logo reach to 100%.

Get the latest Clover into a USB with WhateverGreen.kext and lilu.kext and try to boot it that way?

I had the latest lilu and WEG prior to updating just not the latest Clover (4961) but still got the issue.

I don't know about our TS here tho. Haven't had luck completing the upgrade on my end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back