i7-8700K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I've had my Hackintosh for a year, but I still consider myself a n00b on account of the fact that whenever I try to fix something, I break my EFI and need to boot from my installer thumb drive. I've looked into each of these issues and found threads on here with people using very similar setups, but I always hit a brick wall. I bought everything from the buyers' guide so I was hoping for a smoother ride.

My machine runs OK, but I'd really love to resolve the issues (in order of importance):
- I can't get the WIFI to work. I'm running off ethernet which is fine, but I need to access some features of Ableton (Link) and Mojave (Airdrop, handoff) that require WIFI. I've got a TP-Link Archer T6E installed, but nothing shows up in System Preferrences>Network. First attached image is what shows under System Report>WIFI. I've tried installing various kexts and all that I've achieved is breaking my EFI.
- Won't shut down. When I try to power off, most of the time the machine restarts. I've tried changing the dark wake settings with no effect.
- When booting, Clover doesn't automatically select the correct startup disk. The closest it's got is booting into the installer partition which is not helpful.
- In finder, jpgs won't open in preview. Movie files and audio work fine.

Here's what I got:
- MP: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Socket 1151/Z390 DDR4
- Processor: Intel Core i7
- GPU: Radeon RX 580
- WIFI Card: TP-Link Archer T6E

Extremely grateful for any help with the above!! Please talk to me like an idiot, whenever I read things on here I get completely confused after the first sentence.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-10 at 11.20.42.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-12-10 at 11.20.42.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 24
  • config.plist
    6.3 KB · Views: 30
WiFi Questions:
  1. Which kexts have you installed to fix the WiFi issue?
  2. Where have you installed them?
  3. Are they still installed? You may need to remove them if you haven't already.
The TP-Link card uses a Broadcom chipset, so WiFi and Bluetooth should work with macOS. It is most likely the WiFi kext required is not loading. We can use another kext to tell the system which kext to load, so this device works.

Your config.plist is nearly a blank canvas, and what you do have set in the config is just plain wrong for your 300-series system. Too many issues to mention or list here.

Can you provide the rest of your CLOVER folder, the config.plist on its own doesn't tell the complete story of what you are using to boot your system. I don't expect the Clover folder to be any better and that is fine, you are at least reaching out for help to resolve the issues you are encountering.

Include a copy of the ACPI tables from your system. These can be obtained by pressing F4 while on the Clover boot screen. The tables are saved in the background with no evidence the system is doing anything, so wait 30-60 seconds for the process to complete before booting the system. The tables will be saved to the /CLOVER/ACPI/origin folder on your macOS or USB Drive depending on which you used to boot the system.

Alternatively you can also obtain these tabes by using Hackintool App, navigate to the Utilities tab and select the 'Dump ACPI' icon (bottom row, 4th icon from right-hand side). The App will save the tables to a folder on your desktop. Compress and attach the folder to a post here.

Thanks so much for your reply!

Getting Mojave running in the first place took so much out of me that as soon as I had it running, I really couldn't bear to get back into configuring things further! As mentioned, I've never successfully fixed or patched anything! I've put up with the issues I mentioned in the OP, but now I'd really like to get the WIFI working and get these other things resolved.

I included my Clover folder and my APCI dump - I had Hackintool and your instructions were very clear - thanks!

In answer to your questions:

1. I tried installing FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext following this thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-archer-t6e-and-sierra.221442/
2. To be honest, I'm still not clear what a kext is or how to install it, as there are several ways of doing it, and I've never been successful so far, even following instructions to a T. I tried installing them into ~EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other though I was reading on another thread that I should place them in ~Library/Extensions but I don't see that folder on my computer
3. Any attempt I made in install kexts or anything else has lead to my machine no longer booting, so I've replaced my clover folder with the one from my installation USB. You might find them in the attached CLOVER folder!

Again, thanks so much for already writing the paragraphs above. I'm very grateful for your time and I'm very keen to learn!

Attachments

• Clover.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 25
  • APCI.zip
    234.8 KB · Views: 23
Thanks so much for your reply!

Getting Mojave running in the first place took so much out of me that as soon as I had it running, I really couldn't bear to get back into configuring things further! As mentioned, I've never successfully fixed or patched anything! I've put up with the issues I mentioned in the OP, but now I'd really like to get the WIFI working and get these other things resolved.

I included my Clover folder and my APCI dump - I had Hackintool and your instructions were very clear - thanks!

In answer to your questions:

1. I tried installing FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext following this thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-archer-t6e-and-sierra.221442/
2. To be honest, I'm still not clear what a kext is or how to install it, as there are several ways of doing it, and I've never been successful so far, even following instructions to a T. I tried installing them into ~EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other though I was reading on another thread that I should place them in ~Library/Extensions but I don't see that folder on my computer
3. Any attempt I made in install kexts or anything else has lead to my machine no longer booting, so I've replaced my clover folder with the one from my installation USB. You might find them in the attached CLOVER folder!

Again, thanks so much for already writing the paragraphs above. I'm very grateful for your time and I'm very keen to learn!
FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext is no longer in use or updated

AirportBrcmFixup and BrcmPatchRAM kexts are mostly used

try and keep your kexts in clover/kexts/other

A Kext is a Kernel Extension. Think of them as you would a Windows Driver.

The general though on installing kexts is that any third-party kexts should be placed in your Bootloader's kext folder, not the /Library/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions folder.

As you are using Clover you would place the kexts in the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.

Have a read of this guide by @jaymonkey - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...an-sierra-high-sierra-mojave-catalina.268964/, as he has gone to the trouble of creating full explanation of why the kexts need to be in the kexts folder.

I would recommend you remove any kexts you have installed to the /Library/Extensions folder. You can select and delete them. BUT before you reboot your system you need to Rebuild the Cache and Repair Permissions, if you don't do this you will end up with a Kernel Panic, as the Prelinked kernel will be set incorrectly and won't boot.

Hackintool has a tool on the Utilities tab for this process. Make sure you use it if you have to remove any kexts from either folder.

I will have a look at the CLOVER folder and you ACPI dump and see what needs attention.

Here is a revised CLOVER folder for you to try. It has been adapted to work with a Mac mini SMBIOS, as that closely matches your system, using just the IGPU.

I have added a number of SSDT's, kexts and config.plist fixes, patches and device settings that should work with your Coffee Lake System.

I would recommend you format a spare USB, as if you were creating a macOS installer. Install Clover_r5119 or r5120 to the UEFI partition on the USB. Clover can be downloaded from this Githu page, do not use one of the more recent versions, as they can cause unnecessary issues.

When you have installed Clover to the USB, navigate to the EFI Folder and replace the CLOVER folder (on the USB) with the one attached below.

You shouldn't need to make any changes to the attached CLOVER folder while testing it.

Now you need to boot with the USB instead of your main macOS drive, to see what difference this folder makes.

When you reboot your system with the USB plugged in to one of the USB ports, you need to press the F12 key when you see the Gigabyte splash screen, so you can select the UEFI partition on the USB as the boot drive.

You will be able to tell that you are booting from the USB, as I have changed the Clover theme from the tonymac to MacOSX theme.

If it kernel panics, which it might. Take a photo of the screen so we can see what caused the KP.

Attachments

• Clover.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 30
Thanks! I ended up just replacing the clover folder in my extant installer USB drive as I wasn't quite sure whether I needed to make a new installer. You said to install clover to the UEFI partition but I wasn't sure how to find it.

Have a read of this guide by @jaymonkey - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...an-sierra-high-sierra-mojave-catalina.268964/, as he has gone to the trouble of creating full explanation of why the kexts need to be in the kexts folder.
I'd already seen this but I gave it another read and I'm now clearer on how the whole Kexts thing works, thanks!
I would recommend you remove any kexts you have installed to the /Library/Extensions folder. You can select and delete them. BUT before you reboot your system you need to Rebuild the Cache and Repair Permissions, if you don't do this you will end up with a Kernel Panic, as the Prelinked kernel will be set incorrectly and won't boot.
I didn't find any kexts in L/E, but there are a whole bunch in S/L/E. I didn't touch those.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 20.05.43.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 20.05.43.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 21
Here is a revised CLOVER folder for you to try. It has been adapted to work with a Mac mini SMBIOS, as that closely matches your system, using just the IGPU.

I have added a number of SSDT's, kexts and config.plist fixes, patches and device settings that should work with your Coffee Lake System.
Thanks so much! Booted from it, there were no Kernel panics.

Just managed to turn the computer off successfully! Great!

What's next? Should I replace the Clover folder on my Hackintosh with the one you sent me? I'll try installing the AirportBrcmFixup and BrcmPatchRAM kexts to see if I can get the wifi working.

No not yet!

First you need to remove the old Networking Preferences from the system. As these might be stopping the Wifi and Bluetooth from working correctly and being recognised and configured in the Network preference pane. You need to do the following:
  1. Open Hackintool App,
    1. Navigate to the Utilities tab
    2. Select the 'Disable Gatekeeper and mount in read/write mode' icon, which is the third from the right on the bottom row of icons.
  2. You can't complete the next stage without mounting the drive in this manner.
  3. Navigate to the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder and select the following item and delete them:
    1. NetworkInterfaces.plist
  4. Navigate to the System Preferences > Network pane
    1. Delete any and all Network devices listed in the left hand side bar.
    2. Confirm you want the item to reappear, if asked.
  5. Ensure you have the AirportBrcmFixup.kext added to your /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. Do not add the Bluetooth kexts at this time.
  6. Reboot your system.
Now recreate your Networking Devices:
  1. The plist you deleted in section 3 above will have been regenerated by macOS.
  2. You need to navigate to the System Preferences > Networking Pane, again
  3. Using the '+' sign at the bottom of the left hand side bar, add your Ethernet, Wifi and Bluetooth devices to the system.
  4. Add them in the order stated here, so the Ethernet port is allocated en0, the WiFi en1 and the Bluetooth en2
  5. You might not need to add the Ethernet port, it might be populated in the preference pane by the system.
If the Bluetooth device has not appeared, now you should add the BrcmPatchRAM kexts to the /CLOVER/kexts/Other folder.

Make sure you select the correct kexts and injector (if required).

I would recommend you use the kexts provided by Acidanthera - https://github.com/acidanthera/BrcmPatchRAM/releases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back