Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H
CPU
i7-2600
Graphics
RX 570
Hello! I would like some help getting my Mojave upgrade working.

Had a previous good install of Sierra. Did a direct upgrade with the installer to Mojave by following the guide. Updated Clover to latest version. Had some initial trouble getting the AFPS SSD seen by Clover, but the install succeeded. I was initially running an AMD HD 7770, but wanted to upgrade to a higher end card to run Mojave, so I went with an AMD XFX RX 570 8GB RS XXX edition as per the buying guide.

When booting normally I get to a black screen after apple logo loading on both HDMI and DVI, I have no way of testing DP. When booting with IGPU as primary gpu, both of my displays seem to boot to the desktop, but I cannot see any of the menus, dock or taskbars... Just an empty background image and mouse cursor that I can move. It looks like it just has another 'imaginary' display off to the right which would be the primary monitor maybe?, but I cannot figure out a way to resolve this issue an make the actual display the primary one. (but maybe this is just a red herring and it's not actually working? Should I be booting with igpu as primary?) If it's 99% certain the display is outputting to displayport then I could just get an active adapter for that... But I don't want to waste money on something that will not work anyway.

I also tested an AMD R7 260x which did get me to the desktop, but without acceleration, and I don't really want to use this card unless absolutely needed.

Hardware:
AMD XFX RX 570 8GB RS XXX edition
Intel i7 2600
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (rev. 1.0)
12GB Ram
Crucial MX500 SSD

Clover detects the RX 570 as an RX 480 for some reason, presumably because the device id is the same, I suppose this is not the issue?

Things I tried/did:
removed Verde.kext from EFI partition(was needed for old GPU/install)
With and without RadeonDeInit
Booting with and without Lilu+Whatevergreen combined with and without RadeonDeInit
With and without Orinoco framebuffer+number of ports/RadeonDeInit/InjectATI boot options with multiple combinations
Run Multibeast install with the whatevergreen option over my install using the other gpu temporarily

Not sure what my next step(s) should be...

Thanks for any help!

Edit: Attached what my EFI partition looked like at a certain point in testing the above settings.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    18.1 MB · Views: 149
Last edited:
I am in the exact same boat as you are on. I was running Sierra on a Sapphire HD7770. My HD7770 failed and so I bought Sapphire Pulse RX570 4GB. I was able to make RX570 work on Sierra with Whatevergreen and Lilu on EFI/clover/kext/others and RadeonDeinit, but without sound over HDMI. I do not remember if I had Radeonframebuffer and fakeid. Then I decided a bunch of things from Mojave to High Sierra but I always boot to a black screen, so I cannot get to the installation. Watching this thread. Hope someone has a solution

I encountered similar situation. My GPU is Asus EX-RX570-O8G, previously running fine on HighSierra 10.13.3. Did an upgrade to Mojave, with Lilu+Whatevergreen and RadeonDeInit but got empty (blank) desktop wallpaper and a movable mouse cursor. Haven't found any solutions yet.

I encountered similar situation. My GPU is Asus EX-RX570-O8G, previously running fine on HighSierra 10.13.3. Did an upgrade to Mojave, with Lilu+Whatevergreen and RadeonDeInit but got empty (blank) desktop wallpaper and a movable mouse cursor. Haven't found any solutions yet.
Mind sharing your EFI for High Sierra? I can't even get to High sierra

Were you connected to HDMI, DVI or DisplayPort? Have you tried the other connections? There's another thread with someone using the exact same RX570 as me that got Mojave running. He has a bit of a complex GPU/display setup, but I believe he is running them off of DisplayPort. See: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-asrock-z370m-pro4-i5-8500-rx-570-8gb-4k-ultrafine.274475/

What platform and CPU are you running? I wonder if that (and maybe the integrated gpu on it) is causing problems...

I'd also love to have that EFI folder for High Sierra. I'd like to go to Mojave, but I could probably live with High Sierra with my rx570 for now.

I am in the exact same boat as you are on. I was running Sierra on a Sapphire HD7770. My HD7770 failed and so I bought Sapphire Pulse RX570 4GB. I was able to make RX570 work on Sierra with Whatevergreen and Lilu on EFI/clover/kext/others and RadeonDeinit, but without sound over HDMI. I do not remember if I had Radeonframebuffer and fakeid. Then I decided a bunch of things from Mojave to High Sierra but I always boot to a black screen, so I cannot get to the installation. Watching this thread. Hope someone has a solution
I did some experiments this weekend with the RX 570. I bought an active DP to HDMI adapter and got working display output with that on one of the DP connectors on both my Mojave and High Sierra unibeast sticks and my straight update from Sierra. It even looked like acceleration was working(transparent dock). Can't remember if I needed Lilu+Whatevergreen and or RadeonDeinit, I don't think I did. However, every couple of seconds the screen would flash seemingly randomly. I don't think this was due to the adapter as it worked fine under Ubuntu, but maybe you wouldn't have this on a native DP monitor, not sure. I was able to update to 10.12.6 however, which first adds native support for the 570, and it worked OOB without any kexts. Only had to install the latest version of clover and enable RadeonDeinit in clover.

The active adapter mentioned above has something strange going on with it. Bought an rx580 with the exact same results. Tried again with a passive adapter (cable) and this one works fine with both DP connectors with full acceleration. HDMI and DVI not working. I suspect the 570 to behave similarly and similarly only work with DP.

The active adapter mentioned above has something strange going on with it. Bought an rx580 with the exact same results. Tried again with a passive adapter (cable) and this one works fine with both DP connectors with full acceleration. HDMI and DVI not working. I suspect the 570 to behave similarly and similarly only work with DP.
I have rx570 8GB on Mojave, was using HDMI for monitor and DP port for projector. Tried update to catalina and did not manage yet. Now the HDMI port is not working when I rolled back to Mojave with the back up.

I have rx570 8GB on Mojave, was using HDMI for monitor and DP port for projector. Tried update to catalina and did not manage yet. Now the HDMI port is not working when I rolled back to Mojave with the back up.

Can you please link your working Mojave EFI?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back