Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Mojave installation fails on Z370+8700K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently posting from my migrated machine.

Now Witness the Firepower of this fully Armed and Operational Battle Station! (*Completion pending RMA of defective memory.)

Geekbench CPU
Single-Core Score Multi-Core Score
5696 22746

Geekbench Compute
OpenCL Score

I've downloaded from the App store and even set up iCloud keychain to sync the mail password from my Mini. Listening to iTunes through one of the stereo line outs. Preview does not open JPEGs, which I gather is a known problem I'll have to research. All the USB ports I've tried work but I don't know if the 3.1 and 3.0 plugs are working at 2.0 or what.

Attachments

• Machine Profile initial.jpg
    Machine Profile initial.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Aja speed HP NVME.png
    Aja speed HP NVME.png
    364.1 KB · Views: 50
Success! It's running Mojave off the PCIe NVME (fastest possible M.2 slot), running both monitors, working with my mouse and keyboard, and has internet through the Intel NIC. I formatted my 2TB drive in APFS. I can see all the NTFS drives I used for Windows, including the ExFAT drive I formatted just for sharing between Mac and Windows.

I'll try to migrate my user data from my Mac Mini via Time Machine tomorrow.
Congratulations! :clap:
  • If you can post all the steps you have done correctly to get a successful installation including screen Captures of chosen BIOS Options, CLOVER/drivers64UEFI, CLOVER/kexts/Other and config.plist menus (ACPI to System Parameters), Apple_AboutThisMac >Overview>MacOSMojave14,X Version, System Report..Hardware> Hardware Overview and all the screens from Audio to WiFi under hardware, you will be helping others with the same hardware as in your system including your previously unsupported XFX Fatboy RX 590 in installing Mojave

Currently posting from my migrated machine.

Now Witness the Firepower of this fully Armed and Operational Battle Station! (*Completion pending RMA of defective memory.)

Geekbench CPU
Single-Core Score Multi-Core Score
5696 22746

Geekbench Compute
OpenCL Score

I've downloaded from the App store and even set up iCloud keychain to sync the mail password from my Mini. Listening to iTunes through one of the stereo line outs. Preview does not open JPEGs, which I gather is a known problem I'll have to research. All the USB ports I've tried work but I don't know if the 3.1 and 3.0 plugs are working at 2.0 or what.

To open JPEGs just enable internal graphics in Bios settings.

Not so fast. Things really went downhill after powering down.
  • It wouldn't boot.
  • It won't boot from the BIOS into either Mac or Win.
  • It won't boot from the F12 boot picker into either Mac or Win.
  • It sometimes loads this DOS-like boot management utility I have never seen. Nothing works, just like the BIOS. One of the options is reset system (restart) and that got me to...
OK somehow I got into Mac OS via Clover starting from the USB. Now what?

I'm looking at the Mac boot drive's mounted EFI partition and its folders are barren:
EFI
APPLE
EXTENSIONS
Firmware.scap
(Nothing in the folders except that one file in EXTENSIONS.) I would expect a path to CloverX64.efi or something.

I have a different setup from you but I got into the same problem with my computer. It did not show any preboot screen and I could not get into the Bios and was not able to choose the boot device, just a blank black screen untill clover boot screen. But it did boot into the operating system from there.

It didnt get fixed until I reflashed my graphic card with a different bios. This is my setup:

Asus Maximus Hero XI motherboard
Intel Z390 ATX Gaming motherboard with M.2 heatsink, Aura Sync RGB LED, DDR4 4400MHz,
802.11ac Wi-Fi, dual M.2, SATA 6Gb/s, and USB 3.1
Intel I7 8700K Processor
Samsung 500GB 860 EVO SATA III Internal SSD Corsair Venegeance LPX 16GB (2*8GB) 3000mzh Ram Asus Radeon RX580 8G Graphic Card

Not so fast. Things really went downhill after powering down.
  • It wouldn't boot.
  • It sometimes loads this DOS-like boot management utility I have never seen. Nothing works, just like the BIOS. One of the options is reset system (restart) and that got me to...
OK somehow I got into Mac OS via Clover starting from the USB. Now what?

I'm looking at the Mac boot drive's mounted EFI partition and its folders are barren:
EFI
APPLE
EXTENSIONS
Firmware.scap
(Nothing in the folders except that one file in EXTENSIONS.) I would expect a path to CloverX64.efi or something.

• It wouldn't boot.
  • Which device(Disk/Drive) are you trying to boot? macOSMojavE USB Installer or the Newly installed macOSMojave System Disk?
  • Using pronoun (it) from the start is vague and readers may interpret that differently.
  • Until CLOVER and required kexts are installed on the newly created macOSMojave System Hard disk, it cannot boot independently
  • The newly created System disk without CLOVER should be booted from BIOS to Clover Boot Manager (CBM)Screen through the macOSMojave USB Installer disk and
  • from the CBM screen the disk should be switched to the System disk (which has no CLOVER) to the Desktop supported by USB installer's CLOVER.
  • Camera is an essential tool during installation to take screen shots for user's own analysis to find problems as well as uploading to the Forum for help.
  • Until installation is completed successfully and the system can boot on its own severals times without the need for the USB Installer, booting must ALWAYS be on VERBOSE Mode and images of problem screen must be uploaded to the Forum get proper help.
EFI
APPLE
EXTENSIONS
Firmware.scap

• Unless you have installed CLOVER either Manually or through Multibeast on the EFI Partition of the System Disk, you won't be able to see EFI_CLOVERFileTree.

• You cannot see the EFI partition and the contained EFI Folder, once you reboot the disk.
  • EFI Partition will be 'Hidden" once the disk is rebooted or shut down or EFI ejected from its auto-mounted state soon after CLOVER installation.
  • The only way to access EFI_CLOVER FileTree is to use a tool like EFI MounterV3 or Clover Configurator or use Terminal commands.

(Edited because of extensive info added in Mar. 24 2019 post)

Last edited:

Last edited:
After much, much hassle, I'm back in business.

Dual booting Win10 and Mojave from different M.2 drives.

At one point I had to set up for Intel internal graphics.

I've got USB problems to resolve, reading Rehabman's stuff while looking at IOJones. Among other things, the mouse is deactivated upon restart and requires unplugging/replugging.

Last edited:
Congratulations! :clap:
  • If you can post all the steps you have done correctly to get a successful installation including screen Captures of chosen BIOS Options, CLOVER/drivers64UEFI, CLOVER/kexts/Other and config.plist menus (ACPI to System Parameters), Apple_AboutThisMac >Overview>MacOSMojave14,X Version, System Report..Hardware> Hardware Overview and all the screens from Audio to WiFi under hardware, you will be helping others with the same hardware as in your system including your previously unsupported XFX Fatboy RX 590 in installing Mojave
AboutThisMac.png

Hardware_Audio.png

Hardware_Ethernet.png

Hardware_Graphics.png

Hardware_Memory.png

Hardware_NVME.png

Hardware_Power.png

Hardware_SATA.png
Hardware_Storage.png

Hardware_USB.png

Other hardware is not present (e.g., Wi-Fi) or not relevant.

First the BIOS. F11 and F12 both worked. Load optimized defaults first, then change as follows.

BIOS_MIT.jpg

BIOS_BIOS.jpg

BIOS_peripherals.jpg

BIOS_peripherals_1.jpg

BIOS_peripherals_2.jpg

BIOS_peripherals_3.jpg

BIOS_Chipset.jpg

BIOS_Power.jpg

(I have since disabled AC BACK but it doesn't matter for basic compatibility.)

When running the Windows installer, I disabled all drives that were to be used with Mac OS. When trying to run the Mojave installer, I disabled all other drives except the Mojave boot destination and the USB installer itself.

Using Windows, I flashed the VBIOS of the XFX RX 590 to the PowerColor RX 590 VBIOS. The ROM and flash tool is available on the TechPowerUp site. Use the command line tool, use the -i argument first to find the adapter number for the Polaris 30, not Polaris 10, then use the -p and -f arguments to force flash the PowerColor ROM.

I started with the @pastrychef EFI folder and changed the plist as follows:
  • ACPI: Added patches for EHC1 to EH01 and EHC2 to EH02
  • Boot: Added verbose, Added don't reboot on kernel panic, Added timeout, Changed Default Loader to boot.efi, Changed Legacy to PBR
  • Devices: Added USB FixOwnership, Added Audio ResetHDA, Changed audio inject value to 11, Added IntelGFX property
  • GUI: Changed language, changed resolution
  • Graphics: Changed ig-platform-id
  • Rt variables: Changed MLB
  • SMBIOS: Changed model to iMac18,3, changed unique identifiers
  • System: Changed UUID
Note there are some internal graphics things because I was trying to get it working without the RX 590. It will work with Intel graphics with the right BIOS setting.

Later added NoVPAJpeg.kext to fix Preview, using KextBeast to install to Library/Extensions.

CC_ACPI.png

CC_Boot.png

CC_Boot Graphics.png

CC_CPU.png

CC_Devices.png

CC_Disable Drivers.png

CC_Graphics.png

CC_GUI.png

CC_Kernel.png

CC_Rt Variables.png

CC_SMBIOS.png

CC_System.png