Contribute
Register

Mojave Build Advice Seeking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, all! I'm new to this community so wanna have your opinions on the components I'm gonna use for a Mojave build (I own a 2015 MacBook Pro running this macOS):

CPU: Intel i7-8700
Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z-390 M Gaming
Ram: G.Skills Trident Z RGB 32GB Kit (2666MHz)
SSDs: Samsung 970 EVO 250GB x2 (another one for Windows if possible)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (for storage)
GPU: Gigabyte AORUS RX580 8GB

I've gone through all the hardware on the Buyers' Guide of this webpage when also taking reference to the current iMac models. Ram is what I'm mostly worried about since Crucial is highly suggested by this webpage. Yet, I've read some other posts stating that ram doesn't really matter if the motherboard is alright.

Besides, I'd like to know if any case fans will work properly. I plan to add Corsair ML120 or LL120 to the system.

What do you all think of? Is there any potential compatibility issue that I've missed out? Hope I didn't make silly mistakes.

Hi, all! I'm new to this community so wanna have your opinions on the components I'm gonna use for a Mojave build (I own a 2015 MacBook Pro running this macOS):

CPU: Intel i7-8700
Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z-390 M Gaming
Ram: G.Skills Trident Z RGB 32GB Kit (2666MHz)
SSDs: Samsung 970 EVO 250GB x2 (another one for Windows if possible)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (for storage)
GPU: Gigabyte AORUS RX580 8GB

I've gone through all the hardware on the Buyers' Guide of this webpage when also taking reference to the current iMac models. Ram is what I'm mostly worried about since Crucial is highly suggested by this webpage. Yet, I've read some other posts stating that ram doesn't really matter if the motherboard is alright.

Besides, I'd like to know if any case fans will work properly. I plan to add Corsair ML120 or LL120 to the system.

What do you all think of? Is there any potential compatibility issue that I've missed out? Hope I didn't make silly mistakes.

I have never used Crucial RAM myself. I use Kingston and occasionally AData. I have no problems related to RAM. As long as the RAM works with your motherboard it shouldn't matter.

The build should be compatible with MacOS Mojave.

Just a heads up, iCUE does not work with MacOS for fans or any other internal hardware - only for a handful of supported mice and keyboards and maybe a few other external items. Unless you dual boot windows or VM into windows, your fans will look dead and lifeless like mine.

Also just wanted to confirm that you can install the lighting node pro and fans on a windows machine, set the color options you want, then transplant them to the hackintosh and the fans will light up with the last option you set. You won't be able to change them but it's an alternative to dual-booting windows.

Thank you all! Very useful info. I once thought of iMacs but the hardware customization was too limited. I'm not sure if that 5K monitor is useful to me either. I prefer gaming while still occasionally wanna edit videos with FCPX that I own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back