i7-4770K
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there, I guess I've been lucky over the years in that my Hackintosh builds have usually just worked for the most part. High Sierra was a bit slow to install but at least I'd get to the point where I could install Multibeast and continue.

I'm trying to do a clean install via USB boot of Mojave on my system, which is a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H and i7-4770K (Haswell). I have an nVidia 1050Ti card but am using integrated Intel for the time-being since there are no web drivers yet for the nVidia. High Sierra was running on an older 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SATA HD (APFS) and seemed to be OK. I downloaded Unibeast 9.0 and it made the USB boot disk OK. What I'm seeing:

1) USB boot to install macOS is pretty slow--about 20 mins or so before I get to macOS menu where I can select either the Disk Utility or install Mojave. I first erased the disk then proceeded with the install per the guide. But at least I can get to the macOS installer.

2) MacOS starts installing--this is the "white screen" part of the install. The PC reboots when the progress bar is around 75% or so. On the Clover screen it defaults to "Boot macOS X install preBooter", but I've also tried booting from the SSD (so whatever part of Mojave that's been installed so far.) This is the "black screen with Apple logo" part of the install. The progress bar sits at about 5% for about 15 mins, reboots, progress bar reappears but now at about 10%. This part of the install *very slowly* inches along but doesn't freeze. It gets to the end of the progress bar OK and reboots. I think it should finally be done. It starts booting. Clover booted from FileVault Prebooter this time. Again, progress bar gets right to the end. Finally...I get the solid grey screen with mouse cursor and....that's it. None of the initial steps to configure macOS appears. That's about 75 mins in since starting the install.

3) Aside from the initial first boot via USB, is there ever any point where I should be selecting "Boot macOS Install PreBooter from PreBoot" from the Clover menu, or should I always be choosing "Boot macOS Install from Mojave"? What about the "Boot FileVault Prebooter from Preboot"?

4) Should Mojave be taking an hour or so to install with my hardware?

Thanks,
Sir_Timbit

No suggestions? I will go back to High Sierra and try upgrading from there instead of a clean install. I've tried DVI and DP connections. No difference, I didn't get any error messages or lock-ups. Just the solid grey background and mouse cursor at about the point you should be getting the "Welcome to macOS" screen.

The MacOS installer reboots a number of times during the install. Would you not always use whatever default boot volume Clover picks?

Back up running with High Sierra, which installed in about 25 mins or so, and after Multibeast booted up in half a minute!
Reading elsewhere here, I take it this board's Intel 4600 video might be problematic with Mojave..I've never had to tweak before but I'm hoping I can try again using Lilu...once I read up on that!

The first step in the Upgrade Directly to Mojave guide was to update Clover itself to r4515 or newer. I was on r4458 as part of the default Multibeast install. I installed r4700 OK, rebooted, got the white Clover screen OK. But screen goes black when I try to boot High Sierra after that.

Hi, sir_timbit.

My hardware is similar to you. GA-Z87X-UD3H and GTX660 with Sierra. I tried to clean install Mojave via Install USB but not exists driver for NVIDIA GTX660 and then change Sapphire RX580 Pulse. (I heard that No nvidia os x driver for Mojave in the future.)

Below is Multibeast option only.
* ALC898
* Clover
* AppleIntelE1000e latest (forgot version)
* iMac 14,2

Not select USB driver and USB 3.0 is work good! (After Multibest)

After install Mojave, had problem related graphic.
* Quicklook has error. Doesn’t show preview image of jpg when press space key.
* Photos has error. Back up from my iPhone, it’s getting slow and run many mdworker. Stuck OS X Finder but mouse pointer can move.

Last week, tried to High sierra but has problem related with AppStore and iMessage. I will try Mojave again.

Thanks

Ps. Other people recommended changing Model; iMac or Mac pro etc. Some people had problem of Exporting movie from Final Cut Pro X, fix it with changing model with clover configurator.

Last edited:
I have different MB but close to yours, I followed the link below quick and dirty. Only problem will be your 1050Ti.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-gigabyte-z370-aorus-gaming-5-gtx-1050.261070/

Thanks for the link... I'll have to give those steps a shot. The new Clover install caught me off-guard because I couldn't even select USB boot successfully after upgrading to Clover r4700. All boot options left me with a black screen. Luckily I was still able to get to the Clover terminal. I found another link on removing the Clover entries and got back up and running for now. I removed my 1050Ti card and am just sticking with the Intel 4600 on board video for now. Maybe I'll try the r4674 next time.

Looks like I finally got this going on Mojave! Reading the thread above, I thought the issue was the missing OSXAptioFix3Drv-64.EFI file when I upgraded to Clover r4700. But I copied that as well as the others that were missing in the new EFI, and the system was still freezing almost immediately at startup. I tried wiping the drives and doing everything over again but I noticed my Clover build was back at r4458--the one you get from High Sierra's Multibeast.

Long story short--I took both my SSD as well as the USB thumb drive, plugged them into my Windows PC and ran diskpart/clean on them to completely wipe them out including the EFI partitions from my various previous attempts... Earlier I used Apple's Disk Utility to wipe the disks before but I must've missed the EFI partitions somehow. Anyhow, after that I just followed the regular build guide for a clean install: Unibeast 9 and Multibeast High Sierra Edition. MacOS installed in a reasonable amount of time, with none of the issues I had the first couple of times. And--following Multibeast install--booted up from the SSD just as fast as my previous High Sierra build.

Hello since you have managed to get to the latest OSX I am trying to do that from Yosemite have the same motherboard you have and a GTX 680 Nvidia, is there anything special we have to do? Can you point me to a guide where it says what drivers we need for our mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back