DSDT-GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3-F9
CPU
i5-2500k
Graphics
rx 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hello people,

Long time hackintosh user here. Built my first system form the Buyer's Guide here in 2012, and followed the 10.6 installation guide. Was pretty new to this and after some trial and error got my system up and running. Later on I followed the 10.11 guide and successfully updated to El Capitan and been using it every since ( this certainly doesn't mean I am an expert, I was just super lucky with the OOTB nature of the components ). Problems occurred when I tried to upgrade to Mojave. I apologies in advance for the wall of text I am posting, but I want to be detailed as possible.

Poblem:
  • Can't seem to get any of the graphics to work properly ( somehow managed to use the Intel HD 3000 after applying the Fix Graphics HD 3000 Mojave-10.14 patch but still having some graphical artifact and lines here and there ).
  • Having random freezes during the day. Not sure this is a graphics issues

Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU: i5-2500k
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6870 / Intel HD 3000 / XFX RX 570 RS 8GB XXX Edition
Memory: 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 1600MHz
Storage: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB

Attempt #1 Failure!

Flowed the 10.14 installation guide, downloaded Mojave and made a bootable USB with UniBeast 9.3.0 - Mojave. Set up my legacy bios as recommended (only changed the the graphic option to use onboard GPU as primary, everything else was good from before, DVI connection). From the Clover boot screen I went to the following steps to format the new and empty SSD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and proceeded to install Mojave.
Then installation froze at 2 minutes remaining. After some more attempts, I saw that some people were having the same problem. Apparently the installation needed to reboot but there was no signal going out. So I did what everyone else was doing and manually restarted the computer at the 2min mark.
The install Mojave drive appeared and I continued the installation. But the installation stoped at 12min "An error occurred installing macOS". Tried this again a couple of times with the same result. Tried to make a bootable USB stick again but the same error occurred.

Attempt #2 Failure!

Made bootable USB with UniBeast 9.3.0 but this time applied Clover Legacy Boot Mode v2.5k r5102 to it ( can't remember if i install any kexts ). Success! At the 2 min mark the system rebooted itself. I finished the installation logged in Mojave with low resolution ( it was showing my Intel HD Graphics 3000 had only 5mb) , the first thing I did is run MultiBeast 11.3.0. Selected quick start and legacy boot mode. Restarted but it didn't want to boot, it only boots with the USB. Tried to reinstall MultiBeast again this time with customized settings, no luck.

Attempt #3 Partial Success!

Again ran the UniBeast 9.3.0 with Clover Legacy v2.5k r5102. But this time didn't install MultiBeast. I went with Clover configurator and KextsBeast to install necessary kexts. Added: VirtualSMC, Lilu, WhateverGreen, RealtekRTL8111 and NullCPUPowerManagement. Success! This time It butted up without the USB stick. But was still stuck with low resolution and some weird artifacting. I tried a number of variations like Inject intel and Patch VBios but nothing worked. I wanted to make the HD3000 work because when I used the other 2 card I was getting a black screen and the swapping of the cards became tedious af.

Attempt #4 Partial Success!

Came across a tread with a similar issue as mine, apparently apple made the HD3000 and the HD 6870 obsolete in HS and Mojave, great thanks apple. But someone made a patch apparently it will fix the HD3000 problem. I applying the Fix Graphics HD 3000 Mojave-10.14 patch and it kinda worked. I was getting the normal 1080p resolution and igpu had 512MB vram. But after a while I was getting black horizontal lines just popping in and out.
Also having random freezes. Sometimes I can move the mouse cursor but nothing else responds, and sometimes the whole system just lock up and it needs a restart.
Tried HD 6870 instead ( both DVI and HDMI connection ), somehow got to the desktop but just low res and 5mb vram. Tried differed combination like Inject ATI and Radeon Delnit, injecting fake ID but still nothing. Lilu+WhateverGreen don't work.
XFX RX 570 ( both DVI, HDMI connection ) is a demon of its own. All I get is a black screen once I boot and the apple logo and the bar fills up. Also tried to Inject ATI, Radeon Delnit, 0x67DF1002 FakeID, different FB names ( Orinoco, Acre, etc.) also Lilu+WhateverGreen don't work. Later on I found out that the XFX where notorious for having problems, people tried patching framebuffers, some sort of problem with the physical ports mixing up, seen people patching the bios of different brands that work, others reported success with displayport to DVI cables but only on UEFI, no legacy. I am having problems getting the integrated gpu to work properly, and this stuff is just way over my head.

Anyway my question is this:
  • Is there any chance to get the HD3000 to work properly? Or for that matter the HD 6870? I gave up hope for the XFX RX 570.
  • If anyone can tell my what are those random freezes and how to fix them?

Again, sorry for the giant paragraph, but figure out the best thing to do is share every detail in hope someone spots an error. And if no one lends a helping hand, that's ok too, I enjoyed a working hackintosh for all these years and for that I am grateful to the tonymacx86 and the community, maybe it's time for and upgrade.

Attachments

• bootlog.txt
    20.8 KB · Views: 67
  • config.plist
    6.1 KB · Views: 55
the xfx570 will work with just lilu and whatevergreen kexts
the hd3000 was not working for me when i used the whatevergreen, you can try this setup i did on this dell - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-dell-optiplex-7010-usff.264815/ but it was on Sierra so if you want newes os go for the rx570 it works great
hd6870 i am not sure but shall work with lilu and weg as well nicely just remove sll the graphics stuff from your clover config
you have a lot of useless stuff in clover all around that is the reason you are not able to boot

the xfx570 will work with just lilu and whatevergreen kexts
the hd3000 was not working for me when i used the whatevergreen, you can try this setup i did on this dell - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-dell-optiplex-7010-usff.264815/ but it was on Sierra so if you want newes os go for the rx570 it works great
hd6870 i am not sure but shall work with lilu and weg as well nicely just remove sll the graphics stuff from your clover config
you have a lot of useless stuff in clover all around that is the reason you are not able to boot

Hey theruck, thank you for the reply.

I have read your thread on the Dell Optiplex and how you made it work. I will try to clean up my clover, and remove all graphical kext from the HD3000 patch and give the rx570 a shot. If that doesn't work, I'll maybe try to update my bios...

Thanks again.

Update:

I disabled all the unnecessary graphics from the clover config. Lilu and whatevergreen are installed. Inserted the rx570 back in to the PCIe slot. In the bios I switched the primary GPU from Onboard to PCIe. On the apple logo loading screen the bar finished loading, but I was greeted with the black screen. The monitor did not switch off, I am sure Mojave loaded in, but my screen did not display anything. But when I try to switch back to the integrated HD3000 that previously worked, I get the same black screen. Injecting Intel from clover bootloader doesn't work either.
Only when I physically remove the rx570 for the PCIe slot, I can boot back in using the HD3000.

that is because the os wants the rx to display the output. have you tried all the gpu outputs? what smbios are you using? try imac 17,2

that is because the os wants the rx to display the output. have you tried all the gpu outputs? what smbios are you using? try imac 17,2

Hey theruck,
I have tried the DVI and the HDMI ports, don't have the displayport cable yet. I heard some people had success with the DP to DVI Cable. My smbios was 13.1, but I have switched to 17.1 now. Still the same issue black screen both on the rx570 and HD3000.
After that I tried again with the ATI Fake ID:0x67FF1002, VendorID:0x1002, Inject ATI, RadeonDelnit..no luck.

Thanks for the reply.

if you use whatevergreen you cannot do any ati injects in clover so disable them all
you can experiment with whatevergreen bootflags
try to use -radvesa boot flag just to see if it works in vesa mode

if you go the dp to hdmi adapter make
sure
it is active adapter as the passive does not work

Update: Partial Success!

Got a DP to DVI adapter, at first it was not displaying anything. But after some tinkering, here is the setup that kinda works.

This is the only combination that lets me boot to the desktop:
  • DP adapter is plugged in the third DP port (only works on this port) The card has 3xDP 1xDVI 1xHDMI
  • Inject Intel, Inject ATI and RadeonDelnit is checked.
  • Smbios 14.1
Think the accelerator is not working, and I still see some artifacting here and there.
Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 8.31.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 8.26.17 PM.png

Will try whatevergreen bootflags next.

Attachments

• bootlog.txt
    23.1 KB · Views: 49
"Inject Intel, Inject ATI and RadeonDelnit is checked."
this has no reason if you use whatevergreen
you need to to the right things not injecting intel when you want to make your rx580 work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back